No announcement yet.

Best I've faced

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by about.thousands View Post
    Roger is one of the few fighters who didn't sound bitter. I noticed a lot of guys will give the most credit to guys they beat as to say "This guy was a tough son of a b*tch, but hey, I still beat him". Or they'll give an excuse to why they lost. Roger was straight up and gave credit to the guys who beat him and didn't give excuses
    Old message but I reply anyway, its cool to see Roger giving props like that. Its easy to give props for the fighters you have beaten, especially since it can make your win sound better, but it takes a lot to give props for the guys who beat you and admitting your defeat without excuses. Many boxers have excuses already (maybe its a defense mechanism of a sort? I mean they have to have a very high confidence and believe themselves to be top fighters) but its cool to see when people admit defeat and give props to the fighters that beat them

Excellent thread, love reading these

Comment

• Best I've Trained - Pedro Diaz ( June 2018 )

BEST JAB
      Leonardo Martinez Fiss
      : He was a great Cuban boxer that really impressed me with his jab. He had an injury on his right shoulder that prevented him from using that hand for a long time, so he developed incredible skills with his left hand. He was the first Cuban boxer to reach 100 victories without losing.

BEST DEFENSE
      Guillermo Rigondeaux
      : He is a boxer with incredible reflexes, technical skills, leg movement, and great sense of distance and coordination. In my opinion, he stands out as one of the best skilled and defensive boxers I have worked with.

FASTEST HANDS
      Rigondeaux
      : Rigondeaux also has the fastest hands and precision when he throws punches.

BEST FOOTWORK
      Julio Gonzalez:
      Julio is one of the most technical boxers that Cuban boxing has had – excellent hand and foot coordination. He has been indisputably one of the best fighters I have coached in terms of footwork.

BEST CHIN
      Gregory Drozd
      : I have trained several strong boxers but because of his dedication and discipline, I would say Gregory was a boxer with great strength and assimilation.

SMARTEST
      Miguel Cotto
      : I think that intelligence in boxing should be determined by many factors. It is interrelated with the competitive results. That’s why picking the smartest boxer is very difficult to any coach in any sport. I think that because of the way he used to face training, and his behavior inside and outside the ring, the smartest one for me was Miguel Cotto.

STRONGEST
      Ruslan Chagaev
      : In Cuba, I specialized a little bit more in 75 kilograms and 91 kilograms, so I have good experience in that weight class. I could say that these boxers are characterized more by their strength and punching power than by their technical skills and speed. That’s why I think that one of the strongest boxers I have seen, mentally and physically, is Ruslan Chagaev.

BEST PUNCHER
      Felix Savon
      : I had the opportunity to work with Felix Savon for many years, along with one of the best coaches Olympic Boxing has seen, the professor, Alcides Sagarra. Savon has been one of the best punchers ever I have worked with. His power and potency especially with his right hand was incredible.

BEST BOXING SKILLS
      Hector Vinent
      : Working with Hector Vinent was an honor for me. In his prime, he was considered one of the most complete and integral Cuban boxers of all time, along with Teofilo Stevenson, Angel Espinoza and Adolfo Horta among others. Hector Vinent was youth world champion in Lima, Peru in 1990, two-time Olympic champion (Barcelona 1992 – Atlanta 1996), two-time world amateur champion (Tampere 1993 – Berlin 1995), Cuban champion several times and Central American and Caribbean Games champion (Ponce 1993). He had an incredible boxing quality because he mastered the three distances with excellent technique, speed, and great power. He was a boxer that knew how to win and enjoyed each fight. I would have liked to have seen Hector Vinent in a professional boxing ring.

BEST OVERALL
      Vinent
      : No doubt. Because to me he was the most complete boxer in every aspect.

Comment

• Fernando Vargas - July 2018

BEST JAB
        IKE QUARTEY:
        He had a strong jab; he was a great jabber. He was known for his jab and I definitely know why. It was solid when it would land. What you’ve got to do with someone who has a great jab is out-jab him, and I was able to out-jab him and win the fight.

BEST DEFENSE
        OSCAR DE LA HOYA
        : I put a lot of pressure on him, but he definitely had the best defense. He had great head movement. The jab was definitely key for him, his ring I.Q. … he was a great fighter all around.

FASTEST HANDS
        QUARTEY
        : Mosley was fast, but it wasn’t out of this world. Ike Quartey was fast. His jab was fast and his punches were fast.

BEST FOOTWORK
        DE LA HOYA
        : I was trying to cut the ring, but it was difficult to catch him. When I got him on the ropes I’d try to keep him there, and then he’d get out. He had great ring generalship and boxing ability.

BEST CHIN
        SHANE MOSLEY
        : I think Oscar had a great chin. Mosley had a great chin too. I was hitting Mosley with everything but the kitchen sink and he could take it.

SMARTEST
        DE LA HOYA
        : I’m going to have to go with Oscar again. He was very intelligent. If you didn’t move your head after every combination, he was going to get you. If you left yourself open for something, he was going to catch you. He knew how to use the ring.

STRONGEST
        FELIX TRINIDAD
        : I never felt anything like that in my life. I think the wraps helped him. I know that after his fight with (Bernard) Hopkins, they found his hand weren’t wrapped correctly. That made my career shorter. I was trying to keep him off me and I couldn’t; it was constant pressure. I was trying to box and punch, too, but he was the strongest.

BEST PUNCHER
        TRINIDAD
        : Him, but now I know why! I didn’t even know I got knocked out. I was never down in the amateurs or pros, and I went down five times and I don’t remember half the fight. But I know I fought with all my heart.

When I was on the way to the hospital in the ambulance with my wife after the fight, I said, “Baby, did it look bad when I went down?” And she said, “You got up every single time.” And I said, “How many times did I go down?” I didn’t know I went down five times and I got up five times. That’s the warrior that went in. It’s in your DNA. I don’t remember getting up, but I know if I have a heartbeat in my body I’m going to get up. Regardless if I’m in a fight or in life, it doesn’t matter. I’m not going to lay down.

I felt like I was getting hit by a bat. It was like an explosion in my head. I couldn’t believe it. You can see by my expression in the first knockdown. I know I’d have lasted longer in the game if I didn’t take that fight. It’s a risk – I take the good with the bad.

BOXING SKILLS
        DE LA HOYA:
        Oscar had the best boxing skills. He could do everything. He could box, he could punch, he could go forward and he knew what he was doing.

BEST OVERALL
        DE LA HOYA
        : I think Oscar’s got to be the best boxer I ever faced in the ring. I beat five world champions and I only lost to greats and world champions. I think Oscar was better than anyone else I fought.

Comment

• Another good one. Thanks as ever for posting these.

Comment

• Leho Ledwaba - July 2018

BEST JAB
            EDUARDO ALVAREZ
            : I pick Eduardo Alvarez, very long jab, very sneaky.

BEST DEFENSE
            ALVAREZ
            : The very same opponent again. For me to get in I had to do certain things, as in maybe I’m making a mistake, like I’m selling myself to him. He would come, then I was able to attack him and land my punches.

FASTEST HANDS
            MANNY PACQUIAO
            : Ernesto Grey had very fast hands. Manny Pacquiao as well. The fastest was Manny, he was forever busy. He threw so many punches and would throw from all angles. As a southpaw they would land without me seeing them.

BEST FOOTWORK
            ERNESTO GREY
            : Ernesto Gray fought Bungu and lost but it was a very controversial decision. I was thrown in the lion’s den. I always had it in my head that he performed very well against Bungu. In that fight I was a bit tense, he was a balanced boxer who moved very easily trying to avoid my punches.

BEST CHIN
            JOHN MICHEAL JOHNSON
            : Carlos Contreras from Mexico. I tested him many times but he was forever in front of me. John Michael Johnson also had a strong chin. He’s above Contreras, I hit him with everything and he didn’t go anywhere.

SMARTEST
            PACQUIAO
            : Firstly, his southpaw stance made things very easy for him to fight me. Whatever I tried to do, he’d move, jump out, come in and then I’d miss and his punches would land. It was like I was fighting to survive after round two.

STRONGEST
            PACQUIAO
            : I would pick Manny. I could feel he was the strongest and he was a hard puncher.

BEST PUNCHER
            PACQUIAO
            : When he hit me he hurt me. When he hit me it was different from anyone else. In that fight I was fighting to survive. I just decided I’m getting hurt, the best thing for me is to just retire.

BOXING SKILLS
            PACQUIAO
            : Ernesto Grey had good boxing skills. Eduardo Alvarez also had very good skill; he would fight more of a defensive style and throw back at me – he was a counterpuncher. Vuyani Bungu was always super-fit, he had skill but power-wise I can’t match him with the others. He had endurance and was a boxer who had a good defense. I would pick Ernesto Grey and Pacquiao – Pacquiao for punching power and strength.

BEST OVERALL
            PACQUIAO
            : I believe I met him at his peak, even though at that time he wasn’t known. He was accurate with his punches, his movement, he’d jump in and out, move around, run away, he comes in at difficult angles, he’d circle around you. One time he’d be this side, the next, he’d be on the other side.

Comment

• Vassiliy Jirov - July 2018

BEST JAB
              DALE BROWN
              : (Brown) was pretty fast – pinpoint. His jab made me think in the fight. This is why it took me a long time (10 rounds) to knock him out. He moved a lot, boxing a lot, very good boxer. [Rich] LaMontagne, he had a pretty good jab too.

BEST DEFENSE
              JAMES TONEY
              : His defense was OK; he covered up, it was hard to get him on the inside.

FASTEST HANDS
              BROWN
              : He wasn’t powerful, but he was very fast, especially in the first two rounds. I thought I was losing on points early, but I picked it up and then I knocked him out.

FASTEST FEET
              LAMONTAGNE
              : The way he moved around; I couldn’t catch him in the fight to knock him out. He was smart. The moment I start pushing him around he’d step aside, so I couldn’t punch him enough to knock him out. I won by points.

CHIN
              TONEY
              : He had a pretty good chin. Jorge Castro had a good chin too; very tough, he was always attacking.

SMARTEST
              TONEY
              : Probably James Toney. The way he put his game plan together in the later rounds. He set up his punches pretty good. The way he moved. He had the shoulder roll.

STRONGEST
              MICHAEL MOORER
              : Either Toney or Michael Moorer. [Moorer] was bigger than me. I’d say Michael. He didn’t push me back too much. He was actually slow. He was pretty strong; 30 pounds bigger than me. I tried to box him, but he got me. He made the right move and hit me to the back of the head and won the fight.

BEST PUNCHER
              TONEY
              : When I box [Julian] Letterlough, he lost all his [punching] abilities. He thought I’d fight him and I boxed him. He couldn’t do anything. He lost his game plan and didn’t know what to do. Michael [Moorer] stopped me. I could have fought more, but the referee stopped the fight. I’d pick James. Power was there but not too much. I think I went down because I was tired. I got up and fought to the end. Probably him.

BEST BOXING SKILLS
              TONEY
              : The way he moved; it’s hard to catch him. He had a pretty good punch, he’s very slick, he’s a smart guy and he had all the shots.

BEST OVERALL
              TONEY
              : He’s a very skillful guy. He knows how to move, slip and punch and he’s very aware of anything that is happening in the ring.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrismart View Post
                Vassiliy Jirov - July 2018

BEST JAB
                DALE BROWN
                : (Brown) was pretty fast – pinpoint. His jab made me think in the fight. This is why it took me a long time (10 rounds) to knock him out. He moved a lot, boxing a lot, very good boxer. [Rich] LaMontagne, he had a pretty good jab too.

BEST DEFENSE
                JAMES TONEY
                : His defense was OK; he covered up, it was hard to get him on the inside.

FASTEST HANDS
                BROWN
                : He wasn’t powerful, but he was very fast, especially in the first two rounds. I thought I was losing on points early, but I picked it up and then I knocked him out.

FASTEST FEET
                LAMONTAGNE
                : The way he moved around; I couldn’t catch him in the fight to knock him out. He was smart. The moment I start pushing him around he’d step aside, so I couldn’t punch him enough to knock him out. I won by points.

CHIN
                TONEY
                : He had a pretty good chin. Jorge Castro had a good chin too; very tough, he was always attacking.

SMARTEST
                TONEY
                : Probably James Toney. The way he put his game plan together in the later rounds. He set up his punches pretty good. The way he moved. He had the shoulder roll.

STRONGEST
                MICHAEL MOORER
                : Either Toney or Michael Moorer. [Moorer] was bigger than me. I’d say Michael. He didn’t push me back too much. He was actually slow. He was pretty strong; 30 pounds bigger than me. I tried to box him, but he got me. He made the right move and hit me to the back of the head and won the fight.

BEST PUNCHER
                TONEY
                : When I box [Julian] Letterlough, he lost all his [punching] abilities. He thought I’d fight him and I boxed him. He couldn’t do anything. He lost his game plan and didn’t know what to do. Michael [Moorer] stopped me. I could have fought more, but the referee stopped the fight. I’d pick James. Power was there but not too much. I think I went down because I was tired. I got up and fought to the end. Probably him.

BEST BOXING SKILLS
                TONEY
                : The way he moved; it’s hard to catch him. He had a pretty good punch, he’s very slick, he’s a smart guy and he had all the shots.

BEST OVERALL
                TONEY
                : He’s a very skillful guy. He knows how to move, slip and punch and he’s very aware of anything that is happening in the ring.
                "He made the right move and hit me to the back of the head and won the fight."

This guy isn't big on compliments. I like that.

"He was okay."

Comment

• Angel Manfredy - August 2018

BEST JAB
                  Arturo Gatt
                  i: I’d say it was between Corrales, Gatti and Mayweather. I was at my best when I fought Arturo Gatti. Corrales was tall, lanky, good reach, he had a good jab. Gatti did too, his jab was stronger. I’d probably go Gatti.

BEST DEFENSE
                  Floyd Mayweather Jr.
                  : That would probably between Floyd Mayweather and Steve Johnston, but I pick Floyd. He was a runner when I fought him. He ran and then caught me with that right hand which surprised me. He attacked me and threw 15 punches, landed three, and they stopped the fight. I was like, ‘What!?’ I’m cussing the referee out and arguing with Mayweather. He’s a boxer that had awesome, superb defense. He wasn’t using the shoulder roll when he fought me, that came after. He moved his head, he moved his body, he was just hard to hit because he was very fast.

FASTEST HANDS
                  Mayweather
                  : That would be Mayweather. Handspeed is a gift. His speed alone stood out. His handspeed was a gift from God. I was fast, but I wasn’t that fast.

BEST FOOTWORK
                  Mayweather
                  : That would be Mayweather again. Remember he was a boxer, a mover.

BEST CHIN
                  Gatti
                  : Oh, that was Arturo Gatti. You saw the knockdown in the third round, he should have been out but got back up and weathered the storm. A true champion. Hall of Famer. All the way – Gatti.

SMARTEST
                  Stevie Johnston
                  : “Lil’ But Bad” Steve Johnston. Very intelligent, smart fighter. He fought very well when he fought me. Mayweather wouldn’t fight him. When I fought Steve Johnston, he was the best lightweight in the world.

STRONGEST
                  Gatti
                  : It’s between Gatti and Corrales. I really can’t say between the two. When I’m at my best, I say Gatti. When I’m weakest, Corrales. Gatti, I guess, because I was at my best.

BEST PUNCHER
                  Gatti
                  : That was between Gatti and Corrales. I couldn’t make 130 and Corrales was a lot bigger. He was 6-feet tall at 130 pounds. He was a freak. When he caught me with the left hook in the first or second round, I hit the floor real fast. It was more surprising. Gatti was more ‘Wow’, you know you’re rocked. I was in my prime against Gatti. I could take more at that point than later in my career, so I’ve got to give it to Gatti.

BOXING SKILLS
                  Mayweather
                  : He’s very intelligent, very hard to hit, good timing, very good fighter. I take my hat off to him. Steve Johnston had great skills too.

BEST OVERALL
                  Gatt
                  i: I couldn’t make 130 when I fought Mayweather. When I fought Gatti, we fought at 135. Neither of us could make 130. When he said, ‘135’ I said, ‘Beautiful’. Gatti brought out the best in me, I was in the best shape ever.

Comment

• Mark Johnson - Sep 2018

BEST JAB
                    RAFAEL MARQUEZ
                    : I could never beat (trainer) Nacho Beristain. I lost to two of his fighters, Rafael Marquez and Jhonny Gonzalez. I lost to a great trainer in Nacho Beristain. Marquez had the best jab. What I noticed about Marquez was that his jab was pinpoint; his jab was to control the distance, as well as the fight to make me move my head to one side, so he could throw the right hand.

BEST DEFENSE
                    FERNANDO MONTIEL
                    : He was one of the best Mexican guys I’ve ever seen box. He was slick and hard to hit. He had a lot of good head movement.

FASTEST HANDS
                    MONTIEL
                    : I didn’t fight anybody who had hand speed that could match with me but I think Fernando Montiel was a little closer than most.

BEST FOOTWORK
                    MONTIEL
                    : I think Fernando Montiel could box, move and punch. He had good footwork.

BEST CHIN
                    ARMANDO DIAZ
                    : I beat him 12 straight rounds. I hit Armando Diaz with everything except the kitchen sink and I couldn’t knock him out. I think you could hit him with a baseball bat (and he wouldn’t move).

SMARTEST
                    MARQUEZ
                    : Marquez is one of the guys I have a lot of respect for. I think he was the smartest guy. He hit me with a lot of body shots to slow me down.

STRONGEST
                    MARQUEZ
                    : I think Marquez was physically strong. He was a bigger, stronger guy. He gained a lot of weight after the weigh-in. I think Jhonny Gonzalez was strong guy as well. At 112 and 115, I was the bigger, stronger guy but at 118, I definitely wasn’t the bigger, stronger guy.

BEST PUNCHER
                    MARQUEZ
                    : To me the biggest puncher was either Marquez or Gonzalez. I think Marquez because he stopped me. I think I was a little old when I fought Gonzalez. I don’t think it was one punch that did it; it was a succession of different punches.

BEST BOXING SKILLS
                    MONTIEL
                    : The best boxing skills was Fernando Montiel. He was a good boxer. I fought guys who were stronger and bigger but, when it came to boxing and using the ring, I think Montiel was that guy.

BEST OVERALL
                    MARQUEZ
                    : Montiel had the whole package but I beat him, so Marquez, he beat me twice. I think I pegged Marquez’s career because I was only going to 118 pounds to try to be a three-weight world champion against Tim Austin. Marquez beat me and then he beat Tim Austin and then went on with the wars with Israel Vazquez. Before he fought me, he was just Juan Manuel Marquez’s little brother.

Comment

• Thank you for the good reads!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X