Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can't stand Jerry Olaya

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hbo/Showtime translators are horrible. They really do a poor job and at most translate 20% of what the fighters say accurately. Their answers are always pre-fabricated. Bernarndo Osuna of ESPN is by far the better translator.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyacinth View Post
      Either you guys don't speak/understand Spanish or are confusing Jerry with Felix Dejesus who's the worst translator I've ever heard. Jerry actually translates the questions while they're being asked by the interviewer which is pretty impressive. He's about 90% accurate IMO. Felix is hot trash and while I think he has potential, he always seems nervous, on the spot and out of time. Jerry is sure of himself while translating and it comes across smooth. Again, can't believe you guys are trashing Oyala. Yeah, once or twice, recently actually, he had a few mishaps but he's top notch 90% of the time. There's another dude that translates pretty good too during showtime weigh-ins(not the guy that works for GBP). He's kinda heavyset, slick hair combed back and a little goatee. On the money most of the time and again, sure of himself. Nice and smooth.
      Yeah....I think Olaya is actually trained for immediate translation....which is totally different from consecutive translation....I think that's why sometimes he struggles with the interviews in the end, because he is given the mic after the fighter finishes talking...which lets fighters ramble on and maybe you forget what he was saying at the beginning. His training in immediate translations shows with the corner work, where he is rarely wrong....

Frankly, people criticizing him heavily probably just don't even know how hard it can be...the noise, the pressure, the different accents and meanings(for example mexicans use pendejo like idiot, while cubans mean coward).No one's gonna get it right 100%...

Now Felix De Jesus is another story because he struggles in every way.....in the corner whenever he doesn't know what was said, he has his go to line "throw the right hand"...lol...

And in the fighter interview he has fu/cked up in many big ways....(Maidana example being just the latest).

People who speak spanish should try it at home to translate both immediate and consecutive...I guarantee most will struggle...immediate is harder, but consecutive involves memory(which can be hard if you have a bad one).

Comment

Yep, I've always felt the same.

Comment

Originally posted by -Hyperion- View Post
          The guy from showtime is way worse...Olaya rarely misses the meaning, he just narrows it down a lot......I mean I understand why he does that...most of the mexican fighters start rambling in there...like Marquez the other day...starts saying mexican sayings(which literally translates to "old are the hills, yet they still grow green again")which has basically the meaning Olaya gave Max...that age was not important. Or Olaya asks him about the fifth fight and Marquez starts rambling about the fourth.....I mean, he isn't gonna interrupt him and ask him to keep on point is he??

Now, someone like Felix De Jesús(Showtime guy) will hear "he has not faced a man" from Maidana, and translate it to "he didn't fight like a man". Now that is f/ucking up for real.
          the showtime guy is the worse, he is really annoying

Comment

Originally posted by Dinamita 03 View Post
            Hbo/Showtime translators are horrible. They really do a poor job and at most translate 20% of what the fighters say accurately. Their answers are always pre-fabricated. Bernarndo Osuna of ESPN is by far the better translator.
            I agree completely. As annoying as i think Bernardo is, he is the best translator at the moment. Much better than the HBO and SHO translators.

Comment

Originally posted by -Hyperion- View Post
              Yeah....I think Olaya is actually trained for immediate translation....which is totally different from consecutive translation....I think that's why sometimes he struggles with the interviews in the end, because he is given the mic after the fighter finishes talking...which lets fighters ramble on and maybe you forget what he was saying at the beginning. His training in immediate translations shows with the corner work, where he is rarely wrong....

Frankly, people criticizing him heavily probably just don't even know how hard it can be...the noise, the pressure, the different accents and meanings(for example mexicans use pendejo like idiot, while cubans mean coward).No one's gonna get it right 100%...

Now Felix De Jesus is another story because he struggles in every way.....in the corner whenever he doesn't know what was said, he has his go to line "throw the right hand"...lol...

And in the fighter interview he has fu/cked up in many big ways....(Maidana example being just the latest).

People who speak spanish should try it at home to translate both immediate and consecutive...I guarantee most will struggle...immediate is harder, but consecutive involves memory(which can be hard if you have a bad one).
              well that's understandable but these guys have been doing it for years, it should come naturally to them by now. how can you be mediocre at your job for so long?

to the bolded, i've seen more competent translators in sally ekbach videos and they're supposed to be untrained amateurs. these HBO/SHO guys are being paid top dollar to do a lousy job.

Comment

De Jesus is sooo much worse. It's crazy to think Felix has been in the translating job for so long and he's still awful at his job.

Olaya at least gets the basics down, De Jesus completely changes what the fighters say. He just makes $ hit up he thinks the fighter or trainer would say.

Comment

Working...
                X