Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can't stand Jerry Olaya

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How hard is it to find competent Spanish-English translators, in California of all places? I can't understand why HBO still have these idiots doing the job for them. It makes no sense at all.

Comment

The guy from showtime is way worse...Olaya rarely misses the meaning, he just narrows it down a lot......I mean I understand why he does that...most of the mexican fighters start rambling in there...like Marquez the other day...starts saying mexican sayings(which literally translates to "old are the hills, yet they still grow green again")which has basically the meaning Olaya gave Max...that age was not important. Or Olaya asks him about the fifth fight and Marquez starts rambling about the fourth.....I mean, he isn't gonna interrupt him and ask him to keep on point is he??

Now, someone like Felix De Jesús(Showtime guy) will hear "he has not faced a man" from Maidana, and translate it to "he didn't fight like a man". Now that is f/ucking up for real.
      Last edited by -Hyperion-; 05-24-2014, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Him and the guy on Showtime I have no idea how they got their jobs.

Somebody should make a compilation video of these two. I think the guy on Showtime is actually worse though.

Comment

Originally posted by -Hyperion- View Post
          The guy from showtime is way worse...Olaya rarely misses the meaning, he just narrows it down a lot......I mean I understand why he does that...most of the mexican fighters start rambling in there...like Marquez the other day...starts saying mexican sayings(which literally translates to "old are the hills, yet they still grow green again")which has basically the meaning Olaya gave Max...that age was not important. Or Olaya asks him about the fifth fight and Marquez starts rambling about the fourth.....I mean, he isn't gonna interrupt him and ask him to keep on point is he??

Now, someone like Felix De Jesús(Showtime guy) will hear "he has not faced a man" from Maidana, and translate it to "he didn't fight like a man". Now that is f/ucking up for real.
          No kidding

Comment

Jerry Olaya is by far the best translator, he will translate as soon as they ask him the questions then answers it on point, the other translator (prolly puerto rican) sucks and adds shi* the fighter never say at all

Comment

Originally posted by pesticid View Post
              Him and the guy on Showtime I have no idea how they got their jobs.

Somebody should make a compilation video of these two. I think the guy on Showtime is actually worse though.
              Make the comp. vid and send it in to the networks. That would be great. I hear what you're saying hyperion but no he fycks up it too. The showtime guy definitely murders it

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
                agreed...i dont speak spanish but what irritates me is a fighter will ramble in spanish for like 2mins...complete with passion and fire and Olaya will get on the mic and say 'yea, he said it was a hard fight'

plus his annoying stutter along with that panicked look annoys me

i liked Ray Torres...the 'put water on his balls' guy...i felt THAT dude translated word for word
                Lmao

Jerry "the stutteeeeeeer" Olaaaayaa

Comment

Originally posted by Bronsky View Post
                  That Fycker butchers all interviews that he translates. He literally makes his own shyt up at times. Is spa is even his native language? I ask because the simplest words a fighter says he twists and says something else. Just something I've seen. I'm sure others have seen the many upon many of fights that he translated and butchered
                  Are we talking about the Showtime Translator? The HBO translator is a lot better than the showtime guy... But indeed they both suck with showtime translator sucking more

Comment

Ray Torres takes the spot for being the worse translator ever.

Comment

Either you guys don't speak/understand Spanish or are confusing Jerry with Felix Dejesus who's the worst translator I've ever heard. Jerry actually translates the questions while they're being asked by the interviewer which is pretty impressive. He's about 90% accurate IMO. Felix is hot trash and while I think he has potential, he always seems nervous, on the spot and out of time. Jerry is sure of himself while translating and it comes across smooth. Again, can't believe you guys are trashing Oyala. Yeah, once or twice, recently actually, he had a few mishaps but he's top notch 90% of the time. There's another dude that translates pretty good too during showtime weigh-ins(not the guy that works for GBP). He's kinda heavyset, slick hair combed back and a little goatee. On the money most of the time and again, sure of himself. Nice and smooth.

Comment

Working...
                      X