Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Showtimes not focusing on profit with Mayweather.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So profits don't matter to Money Mayweather and Showtime?

He might as well give the fans what they want and fight Thurman or Porter regardless of what the PPV result is.

Comment

• Maybe it will pay off maybe it won't.

Showtime have a good roster of talent with GBP on their side.

This is a way for them to draw attention to their boxing brand.

Thurman, Matthysse, Canelo, Maidana, Broner.... all very marketable fighters

Comment

• Originally posted by Francis M. View Post
        So profits don't matter to Money Mayweather and Showtime?
        I'm no Floyd fan, but even if Sho loses money on this deal it can still make strategic sense for them. This is about mind share and market share in their battle with HBO. They may lose money with Floyd but if it locks in new subscribers and grabs mind share and market share from HBO it's still a long term 'win' for them. It's about eating a short to medium term loss to try to achieve medium to long term gains.

Does the cost of buying a premium nail gun make sense if you're building a doghouse out of scrap wood? Probably not. Does it make sense if you're trying to build a house house? Probably.
        Last edited by -=Shade=-; 05-20-2014, 04:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by -=Shade=- View Post
          I'm no Floyd fan, but even if Sho loses money on this deal it can still make strategic sense for them. This is about mind share and market share in their battle with HBO. They may lose money with Floyd but if it locks in new subscribers and grabs mind share and market share from HBO it's still a long term 'win' for them. It's about eating a short to medium term loss to try to achieve medium to long term gains.
          Of course, the haters can't see anything because they aren't objective.

But when BOTH Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquaio were on HBO, and HBO alone was responsible for paying their huge paydays, I didn't hear anyone crying about how HBO is going to go broke.

Comment

• I wonder how much money Showtime have thrown so far. Any guesses?

Comment

• Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
              U do know that showtime has been in the Boxing business for over 20yrs right?

yes and they have been playing second fiddle to hbo that entire time. they are trying to change that, but in order to succeed they needed to revamp their boxing program.

floyd is the key to that, but you dont just get a mega superstar no strings attached. you think they gave him all that money convinced it would turn profit right away? this is the richest deal in sports we are talking about, nobody else gets paid that much for a reason.

but they knew they werent just getting a fighter, they were rebuilding their whole boxing program. but ive been through all that already.

in the end its rather simple really. they signed floyd as a long term investment. google it if you must, im out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Booty Dew View Post
                Maybe it will pay off maybe it won't.

Showtime have a good roster of talent with GBP on their side.

This is a way for them to draw attention to their boxing brand.

Thurman, Matthysse, Canelo, Maidana, Broner.... all very marketable fighters
                That's why SHO don't need Mayweather and lose millions of dollars to attract subscribers. All Showtime need to do is demand that GBP make these fighters fight each other. Broner loses, he's back fighting a nobody, not Matthysse, Alexander, Guerrero, Berto, etc. Same thing with their other over protected fighters.

Arum will waste no time if he had all these fighters.
                Last edited by al-Xander; 05-20-2014, 05:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
                  Floyds not a draw?? ok wow another stupid post
                  Dude. I get it. You're a Floyd fan. So am I. But I am addressing the people that are saying Showtime is losing money with Mayweather. I'm saying they are willing to lose money for a short while in order to make more in the long run. "You need to spend money to make money." Logically, that quote makes sense to me. Right now, Showtime is losing money with Mayweather. All businesses are like that. Sony was losing money with the PS3 by including a blu-ray player (blu-ray players were going for $1000 at the time) and selling the console for $600. Sony's plan was to make money off of the softwares, the games, the accessories, etc. If you're planning to make money you have to plan to lose money in the process. It's not that hard to comprehend. A lot of people on this thread are just focusing on the losing money part and not understanding the whole "profit comes later" part.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeMan View Post
                    That's why SHO don't need Mayweather and lose millions of dollars to attract subscribers. All Showtime need to do is demand that GBP make these fighters fight each other. Broner loses, he's back fighting a nobody, not Matthysse, Alexander, Guerrero, Berto, etc. Same thing with their other over protected fighters.

Arum will waste no time if he had all these fighters.
                    You mean you weren't clamoring for Keith Thurman-Julio Diaz?

Comment

• Originally posted by -=Shade=- View Post

Does the cost of buying a premium nail gun make sense if you're building a doghouse out of scrap wood? Probably not. Does it make sense if you're trying to build a house house? Probably.
                      For the 50th time in this thread......How does Showtime having Floyd lock in new subscribers when Floyd is a ppv fighter?

Comment

Working...
                      X