No announcement yet.

Two more Cubans got away...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
    No doubt, most Cubans, having no outlet but the amateurs, fight in a points style. But Robeisy isn't the only exception. Angelo Santana (may his career RIP ) fights in a fan-friendly style. Mike Perez is exciting (although he'll never be a world champ). Rances Barthelemy bangs. Yoan Pablo Hernandez won't put anyone to sleep. And Gamboa, before the layoff and the climb in weight, was electrifying.

When you consider that there are something like fifty Cubans fighting pro worldwide, that's not a bad showing. As more of our guys make it to freedom, they'll adapt to the pro style and the stereotype of the "amateur Cuban" will be a thing of the past.
    They only seen the national Team, they need to go and watch a Cordova Cardin tournament or Playa Giron and then have a better educated opinion, how in the World you can have an opinion after only watching 40-50 fighters from one nation? Beside Cuban boxing didn't started 10 years ago, I smh every time I read those kind of post because it only shows envy or ignorance, a least they should do their homework... The other thing is with only 50 fighters at the most we have like 5 or 6 Champions and a few more waiting in the wings

Comment

Keep on with your little tribal wars while Cubans quietly creep over or God forbid the flood gates open. Cuban boxers are the PC gamers in this ****,and the b*tthurt is strong over it . Must be annoying only there being a couple of fkers who where in no way ever trained to be pro's to just show up out of nowhere after swimming a bit and embaras the **** out supposedly the "best" around.

It's such a tragedy how this is a "big deal" just these two fkers escaping when there is so much more talent on lock and key right under Castro's ballsack. In the meantime people here paying to watch two fighters play checkers with each other, or watch one fighter so over-matched he looks like the other ones piñata, while the next level chess players cant even be in the game .

Comment

Originally posted by garfios View Post
        They only seen the national Team, they need to go and watch a Cordova Cardin tournament or Playa Giron and then have a better educated opinion, how in the World you can have an opinion after only watching 40-50 fighters from one nation? Beside Cuban boxing didn't started 10 years ago, I smh every time I read those kind of post because it only shows envy or ignorance, a least they should do their homework... The other thing is with only 50 fighters at the most we have like 5 or 6 Champions and a few more waiting in the wings
        I agree. But there is a difference between the pro style and the amateur style, and several Cubans have the latter. They'll never be able to shake it, so they'll never make it in the paid game. The Cuban system was built to win medals for the country, not for individual success. When (not if) Cuba returns to freedom and opens up, her talent will switch over to a more professional approach and the amateur style will become a thing of the past. In fact, it might come before then, since Olypmic boxing will undergo some significant changes in 2016.

The legacy of Cuban boxing is almost unique. Before the communists took over, the island was known for producing great professional champions. After the commies, Cuba became known for producing great amateur champions. Only the United States has done both, and arguably not as well in the amateur realm.

Before they reversed the call in Barthelemy-Mendez, Cuba was third (behind the US and barely behind Mexico) in total world champions -- pretty amazing when you consider how few Cubans are in professional boxing. As small as Puerto Rico is, for instance, she has far more athletes fighting as pros compared to Cuba. The percentage of successful Cuban boxers, compared to the amount actually fighting, is staggering.

Comment

Originally posted by DannYankee09 View Post
          Keep on with your little tribal wars while Cubans quietly creep over or God forbid the flood gates open. Cuban boxers are the PC gamers in this ****,and the b*tthurt is strong over it . Must be annoying only there being a couple of fkers who where in no way ever trained to be pro's to just show up out of nowhere after swimming a bit and embaras the **** out supposedly the "best" around.

It's such a tragedy how this is a "big deal" just these two fkers escaping when there is so much more talent on lock and key right under Castro's ballsack. In the meantime people here paying to watch two fighters play checkers with each other, or watch one fighter so over-matched he looks like the other ones piñata, while the next level chess players cant even be in the game .
          When I look at some of the Cuban baseball players that are making noise in MLB, it makes me wonder how many potentially great Cuban pros are not even recognized because they're not great amateurs. As we've said before, the pro style and the amateur style are different. Just because you're successful in one doesn't mean you'll be successful in the other. If some of our medallists couldn't make the switch to the pro style, does that mean some of our lesser amateurs can't make it big as pros? Who remembers Mike Tyson as a great amateur?

In the end, I think it's just a numbers game. The more people that are involved, the more people that will make it to the top. If we can extract five world champions from fifty or so pro Cuban boxers, it seems reasonable that we can produce some more world champions from a couple of hundred fighters. Cuba could conceivably surpass the United States as the country with the greatest number of active world champions. That would be extraordinary.

Comment

Welcome to freedom and welcome to boxing. We hope you enjoy the possibility of a great career.

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
              You're a fool if you think all Cubans are like Rigo/Lara/Abril. As a matter of fact, I invite you to educate yourself on Cuban boxing. And while you're at it look up Robeisy Ramirez.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
              Don't get mad, he's right. Cuban fighters get overhyped because of their reputation in the amateurs. They haven't thrown one punch in the states yet and they're already future greats. By the way one of my favorite fighters along with zab supa Judah is Gamboa so I don't wanna hear that I'm hating n shi

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                I agree. But there is a
                difference between the pro style and the amateur style
                , and several Cubans have the latter. They'll never be able to shake it, so they'll never make it in the paid game. The Cuban system was built to win medals for the country, not for individual success. When (not if) Cuba returns to freedom and opens up, her talent will switch over to a more professional approach and the amateur style will become a thing of the past. In fact, it might come before then, since Olypmic boxing will undergo some significant changes in 2016.

The legacy of Cuban boxing is almost unique. Before the communists took over, the island was known for producing great professional champions. After the commies, Cuba became known for producing great amateur champions. Only the United States has done both, and arguably not as well in the amateur realm.

Before they reversed the call in Barthelemy-Mendez, Cuba was third (behind the US and barely behind Mexico) in total world champions -- pretty amazing when you consider how few Cubans are in professional boxing. As small as Puerto Rico is, for instance, she has far more athletes fighting as pros compared to Cuba. The percentage of successful Cuban boxers, compared to the amount actually fighting, is staggering.
                If you come young enough you will learn, Rances and Leduan has learn, Jhonson is beguining to grasp the notion, Gonzalez and Dorticos are exciting to watch along with Hernandez, like any other nation some will raise to the top others will stay at the bottom while a few will swim in the middle, when I mention Playa Giron/Cordova Cardin is because you can see all styles there, the face first brawlers, technicals fighters, hit and don't het hit, everyone is there...

Comment

I like rigo a lot, I enjoy Gamboa too, the rest of them can go back to Cuba.

Comment

Fan of Cuban Fighter, very Discipline and Skilled sometimes too Discipline and Skilled for the Average Simpleminded Casual Fans to Understand.

Comment

I'd rather see guys like Ramirez, Iglesias, Toledo & Savon defect. These two are not the best current cuban boxers. They are decent but they have won nothing yet. I think Ramon Luis has more upside. We'll see.

Comment

Working...
                      X