No announcement yet.

Delayed PPV numbers for Mayweather vs. Maidana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delayed PPV numbers for Mayweather vs. Maidana

Typically it takes about 4 days for PPV numbers to come out. But by the way it has been delayed for the last expensive PPV boxing, it says something that the PPV numbers did not do well. I could not quite get it how the PPV revenues are split up, I heard the networks get half of the PPV receipts, or if the fighters purse are taken from PPV receipts or promoter's investment or gate receipts.

Either way if the PPV numbers have to reach 1 million buys even to get even, I think Floyd was getting paid too much and it was a mistake. I'm not even sure who loses money, but for sure Floyd runs away with his money and shows up on NBA playoffs courtside from east coast to west coast.

If you were a business you would not continue if you end up losing money. And for sure something has to change. I don't know if Floyd's contract with Showtime is public, but I think Showtime would continue bleeding money if it can't dictate who Floyd should fight next. Right now if Showtime indeed lost money on the last fight, their CEO would surely say that this will not happen again, or risk the anger of its shareholders. Maybe the delay in releasing the PPV numbers is timed when stock market conditions are favorable.

I stayed away from buying this last fight even if I could afford it, because for me it just was not worth it. People from Showtime should learn from boxing fans buying patterns, if we don't like the merchandise, we will take our money elsewhere. Then I saw the fight later after a week for free on Showtime, and I confirmed it was not that good.

they're still trying to figure out how to juke the movie theater ppvs.

smdh.

Comment

Lol, they didn't even have a tour for this show. Just a press conference with Mayweather and Maidans trainer.LMAO. Hardly any marketing at all. Most people thought Maidana was a no hoper. (Why, I have no clue...)

And I don't think people were predicting anymore then 800-1.2m. So I don't see why people are jumping up in down thinking this failed.... It hit right in the expected ballpark.

Mayweathers deal with Showtime provides so much free marketing for Showtime. People acting like Showtime is losing out on this deal don't know a ****ing thing about marketing and sponsorship. Mayweather is basically a Showtime sponsored boxer who has the chance to make them money on top of that. One of the biggest names in all of sports, sponsored, for free/upside. Exactly why they had a free weekend on the free replay.

Most of you are idiots and don't understand this.

Comment

I think it's Day 13 and still no numbers. Can't have met expectations.

Comment

No official release yet, rumors say under 900K

Comment

Originally posted by 2014Classic View Post
            Lol, they didn't even have a tour for this show. Just a press conference with Mayweather and Maidans trainer.LMAO. Hardly any marketing at all. Most people thought Maidana was a no hoper. (Why, I have no clue...)

And I don't think people were predicting anymore then 800-1.2m. So I don't see why people are jumping up in down thinking this failed.... It hit right in the expected ballpark.

Mayweathers deal with Showtime provides so much free marketing for Showtime. People acting like Showtime is losing out on this deal don't know a ****ing thing about marketing and sponsorship. Mayweather is basically a Showtime sponsored boxer who has the chance to make them money on top of that. One of the biggest names in all of sports, sponsored, for free/upside. Exactly why they had a free weekend on the free replay.

Most of you are idiots and don't understand this.
            Even though you have a warped view of Maidana winning and actually doing anything in the fight.

You have broke down the business better than any of these fans of limited boxing can ever fathom in their peanut size brain matter. I don't see why they don't seem to understand that Showtime isn't losing money.. the other network is however.

Comment

Originally posted by jcruz65 View Post
              Typically it takes about 4 days for PPV numbers to come out.
              Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
              I think it's Day 13 and still no numbers. Can't have met expectations.
              How long did it take for the official Pac-Bradley 2 numbers to come out?

Hell, are they even out yet?

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                How long did it take for the official Pac-Bradley 2 numbers to come out?

Hell, are they even out yet?
                Not sure but Arum straight-up said they were a disappointment, and said they did 750-800k and that Pacquiao's next fight would likely be in Macau.

Comment

This fight was a disaster for showtime. It barely generated half of what was needed to break even.

showtime is learning the hard way that floyd's ppv sales are driven by mexican holidays and stacked undercards. hbo probably realized this and thats why they kicked him off thieir network and laughed when he asked them for more than they offered.

Thank god for canelo, otherwise it would have been 3 failed ppvs in a row.

showtime and gbp definitely lost millions on this fight. floyd probably did as well, since he pays himself over half of his guarantee. not only that, he got beat up badly by an 18-1 underdog, lol.

Comment

They are probably ready to lose some money in the short run to gain marketshare from HBO. Their longtime strategy is to take over HBO:s marketposition.

Comment

Working...
                    X