Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does it say about Calzaghe that fans give him credit for Hopkins's achievements?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post
    Please explain how the most title fight defenses in SMW history and a win over an ATG like Hopkins and young studs like Lacy and Kesler = a transparent resume.

I'm the first to admit that Joe waited way too long to test himself against the best in the USA but his resume is very solid. Holding a title for a decade, having a lineal championship in 2 divisions and retiring undefeated is no average achievement.
    You're promoting quantity over quality, 90% of Zags record is just random alphabet can rankings, they're garbage. He went 14 years after fighting fadded but still functional Eubank before his next 'signature win' in Kessler (his best IMO). With Lacy we have the benefit of hindsight, he's as limited as hell, and Joe to his credit competely exposed that.

Still none of the equates to a great resume - and closing out with a weak SD against Hopkins, by basicly just outworking him isn't impressive to me.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
      Yes it is.
      No it's not. Aggression is not a scoring criteria. It's Effective Aggression. And a lot of Calzaghe's aggression was ineffective.

But a lot of Bernard's aggression was non-existent.

Comment

Who cares lol

Hopkins ranks higher than Calzaghe in everybody's ATG list. At the end of the day, that is all that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
          No it's not. Aggression is not a scoring criteria. It's Effective Aggression. And a lot of Calzaghe's aggression was ineffective.

But a lot of Bernard's aggression was non-existent.
          Judges, at their discretion, can award a round to a fighter who may have landed fewer punches, if they deem that his punches were harder, that he was substantially more effective in his defense, that he was more accurate, more aggressive, or more anything else that the judge deems important.

Comment

Just to nitpick a bit. He was not lineal champion in two divisions.
            Yes, yes he was. Ottke retired making the fight between him and Kessler for the lineal championship at SMW.

The Hopkins win was for the lineal LHW title.

Comment

Aggression has to be effective. I think that's pretty self-explanatory.

Comment

Originally posted by EZ BASH View Post
                You're promoting quantity over quality, 90% of Zags record is just random alphabet can rankings, they're garbage. He went 14 years after fighting fadded but still functional Eubank before his next 'signature win' in Kessler (his best IMO). With Lacy we have the benefit of hindsight, he's as limited as hell, and Joe to his credit competely exposed that.

Still none of the equates to a great resume - and closing out with a weak SD against Hopkins, by basicly just outworking him isn't impressive to me.
                You said completely transparent. I said good resume. Who is closer to what it really was?

Comment

Yes, yes he was. Ottke retired making the fight between him and Kessler for the lineal championship at SMW.

The Hopkins win was for the lineal LHW title.
                  It was for the Ring title

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
                    Aggression has to be effective. I think that's pretty self-explanatory.
                    No its not. Take the Extreme example with two boxers not punching and one goes forward and the other goes backwards then its SELFEXPLANATORY, that the aggressor wins.

Comment

You said completely transparent. I said good resume. Who is closer to what it really was?
                      Good resume, good fighter. Great, no.

Comment

Working...
                      X