Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Gary Russell underrated while Vasyl Lomachenko Overrated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Gary Russell underrated while Vasyl Lomachenko Overrated?

When Gary Russell beats Loma, the excuses are going to be the most astronomical comedic things to read. Everyone is going to get amnesia on how they said Lomachenko was the better fighter, Gary Russell is stepping up in competition, and Loma fought better fighters. Sometimes it's better not to make big proclamations without actually seeing both fighters fight at least more than once.

Loma has skill but I am not convinced about him dealing with the mental aspect of the sport. Gary Russell I see experience that although wasn't against the highest level was against different style and kept his hand moving and kept him with positive repetition of being in the ring. Lomachenko went 12 rounds but he didn't fight the best competition either or the best Salido in my opinion. Anyway what do most of you here think?
    Gary Russell Jr. is underrated
    17.39%
    Vasyl Lomachenko is overrated
    39.13%
    They are both overrated
    26.09%
    They are both underrated
    17.39%
    Last edited by Shambrolic; 04-20-2014, 11:27 AM.

People rate Jr's skills they just dont rate his level of competition, which is justified.

Comment

Yes. It's because Russell has had a horrible pro career so far meaning fighting nothing but TBA's so there has been a lot of backlash. That of course doesn't mean he isn't a very good fighter.

I expect Russell to win. I also think Loma has made a big mistake taking these title fights in his 2nd and 3rd fights instead of naturally progressing as a pro as one usually does. He's basically taken the exact opposite approach of Russell, which is admirable and shows balls, but that will hurt him.

Comment

But has Lomachenko actually face great competition? He also lost and was not even close in his figh against Salido, who was fat and slow. I like Lomachenko but people seem to always ride these guys with hype from the east or Asia very easily and prop them up while they fight competition that's below their supposed hype but down fighters from Mexico and the U.S who has a comparable resume.

Comment

Originally posted by Shambrolic View Post
          But has Lomachenko actually face great competition? He also lost and was not even close in his figh against Salido, who was fat and slow. I like Lomachenko but people seem to always ride these guys with hype from the east or Asia very easily and prop them up while they fight competition that's below their supposed hype but down fighters from Mexico and the U.S who has a comparable resume.
          It was actually pretty close against Salido remember he faded late and Loma hurt him.

The reason Loma has a lot of hype is based on his amazing amateur career - reportedly 300-1 record. Rigondeaux had a lot of hype as well based on his incredible amateur record, only he was a bit wiser in taking softer fights his first few fights, obviously it paid off for him. If there was some American who had 300+ wins and only a couple of losses and gold medals, he would have a ton of hype as well. Remember, boxing fans are always looking for the next great thing so naturally guys get hyped prematurely.

Comment

Lomo is 1-1 and only been pro for a few months, Russell has been pro for 6 years and is undefeated with over 20 fights..
            But lomo has fought the better competition.. His 2 opponents are much better than anything Russell has fought.... That's pathetic if your Russell.

Comment

Russell jr is underrated Loma is a tad overrated imo.

Comment

I think they're both underrated slightly, but GRJ more so. He hasn't faced anyone credible, but he has immense physical talents and I hope he shows that against Loma.

Comment

They are both rated perfectly and all of the praise and criticisms about both are 100% fair.

Comment

Russell, despite the poor opposition so far, is an exceptional talent. I have him winning. Loma is just not seasoned enough as a pro. And yes, that matters; we saw that in the last fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X