No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Showtime VP Responds To Claims, Promoters Chime In

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whytetittie View Post
    pretty sure we are talking about showtime boxing, not the channel showtime, which is owned by viacom. Obviously viacom isnt going to go bankrupt but showtime boxing will. Viacom is not a charity.
    Showtime is owned by CBS, not Viacom

Comment

Originally posted by Red Slider View Post
      Showtime boxing works off an approved budget. How exactly would he bacnkrupt Showtime. You guys are clueless.
      I think what people are trying to say is Haymon and company will end up tanking showtime boxing. bankrupt is probably too strong a word

http://www.secondsout.com/columns/th...ng--part-three

this is a great article about the damage that Greenburg did at HBO by showing preference to Golden Boy and Haymon

Comment

Originally posted by rey guey View Post
        I think what people are trying to say is Haymon and company will end up tanking showtime boxing. bankrupt is probably too strong a word

http://www.secondsout.com/columns/th...ng--part-three

this is a great article about the damage that Greenburg did at HBO by showing preference to Golden Boy and Haymon
        Is that what you got from that article? Didn't read any proof of your statement. I was more intrigued on why Arum wouldn't want to make a fight with a GB fighter. That's why everybody who fought PAC had to leave GB first...Marquez, Mosley. Because GB becomes the lead promoter so there would be no more cooking the books.

Comment

"I don't see any virtue of going with a variety of promoters just for variety's sake. Who's offering the best, most entertaining fights consistently? It's Golden Boy, because they have a deep talent pool. There are deals I did pursue with other promoters that I didn't get. I bid competitively to get Ruslan Provodnikov because he fits in the 140 and 147 division, where we have deep talent. I went aggressively for the Sergio Martinez-Julio Chavez Jr. fight in 2012 but they went with HBO. Richard and I have disagreements occasionally, but the reality is Richard is one of the smartest people I know and a very practical businessman, so those disagreements don't last very long. The benefit of having the great relationship that we do is that we can get past those disagreements quickly and without hard feelings."
          Espinoza has gone on record as saying he does not see a point in working with another promoter. See above quote from this article - http://es pn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/10273297/show-bet-boxing-pays-2013

Comment

pretty sure we are talking about showtime boxing, not the channel showtime, which is owned by viacom. Obviously viacom isnt going to go bankrupt but showtime boxing will. Viacom is not a charity.
            Originally posted by Hougigo View Post
            Remember when there was problems with Maidana/Broner being on regular Showtime... and then they found money in the budget.

I wonder where they found the money
            Does "Approved Budget" not make sense to you? Espinoza doesn't have free reign to do whatever he wants. and spend whenever or whatever he pleases. He can't just pull money out the back without approval.

Comment

Does "Approved Budget" not make sense to you? Espinoza doesn't have free reign to do whatever he wants. and spend whenever or whatever he pleases. He can't just pull money out the back without approval.
              Hey, evidently with Al Haymon, a budget is infinite.

Comment

Originally posted by racer59 View Post
                Showtime is owned by CBS, not Viacom

CBS Corporation was Viacom until they changed the name. It's the same company.

Comment

Yeah Viacom just approves the budget. After that it doesnt matter if they make a profit or not. Stop acting like you know it all.

Comment

Last year they had a dry fall, which is normally the busiest stretch, in part cause they unexpectedly had to commit 2.5m for 10-1 mismatch in Broner Paulie. Now theyre paying 2m+ for something that coulda been on fnf 12 months ago

Comment

CBS Corporation was Viacom until they changed the name. It's the same company.
                      What is it with people posting things that are just wrong??? I wasn't trying to be pedantic, just correcting a misstatement. It is no longer Viacom due to the name change. The current Viacom has nothing to do with Showtime, ergo not the same company.

By the way, "bungalows" must not like you much. He thinks I'm your "alt"

Comment

Working...
                      X