Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remind me why Karim Mayfield couldn't get a shot at DSG, but Herrera could?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
    Being an up and comer has nothing to do with age; it's your current status in boxing.

Look at the video. Why didn't Angel say anything about Top Rank?

It clearly had nothing to do with T.R
    When you are the champion everybody is gonna call you out.

Inexperienced dudes with less than 20 fights will call you out publicly to try to prove something. Should fighters accept every challenge from every fighter who calls them out?

To insinuate that Garcia is afraid of Mayfield, after seeing him fight Khan and Matthysse, and lesser fighters like Holt, Judah, and Morales, is really unfair. I mean wasn't he scared of Matthysse?

This truly is a situation where the champ has every right to say "Who?"

Comment

KArim needs to worry about Dulorme now. I think he will win this fight but it could get complicated in there due to the height/reach/skills of Dulorme. Everybody jumps and claims Dulorme is chinny but look at Abregu's record! If he gets passed Dulorme, he will put his name in the map!

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
        When you are the champion everybody is gonna call you out.

Inexperienced dudes with less than 20 fights will call you out publicly to try to prove something. Should fighters accept every challenge from every fighter who calls them out?

To insinuate that Garcia is afraid of Mayfield, after seeing him fight Khan and Matthysse, and lesser fighters like Holt, Judah, and Morales, is really unfair. I mean wasn't he scared of Matthysse?

This truly is a situation where the champ has every right to say "Who?"
        No, he's not scared Kev. But there are no breaks...

Maybe I'm just impatient, but these guys only fight 2 times a year. Just because you fought Mathysse doesn't give you the right to take a year off and start fighting week opposition again. I mean Mayfield just beat Herrera.

I'm not saying Herrera is sorry, I'm just saying Mayfield just beat the guy.

If these guys fought a few times a month, I would be happy with him fighting the loser out of the opponents. But we won't see Garcia in the ring again until December ish, maybe even next year. Like I said, maybe I'm just impatient, but I'm getting old as hell lol

Comment

herrera is mexican and mayfield is at tr

Comment

Simple...Herrera had a win over Provodnikov and Dallas Jr, and a tough fight with Alvarado. He had the most notable resume of the available opponents.

Mayfield has one good win over Herrera himself but that's about it.
            Shouldn't the time to fight him be after he beat Provodnikov/Dallas Jr, not after he loses to Mayfield.

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
              herrera is mexican and mayfield is at tr
              Your logic still doesn't explain the video... This was before he was even with TR...

Angel said he didn't know who Mayfield was, but there were posted pics of the 3 together (Angel, Danny and Karim).

Comment

Being an up and comer has nothing to do with age; it's your current status in boxing.

Look at the video. Why didn't Angel say anything about Top Rank?

It clearly had nothing to do with T.R
                I know it has nothing to do with tr but a week after this vid he signed with them. So he has no shot of fighting him

Comment

No, he's not scared Kev. But there are no breaks...

Maybe I'm just impatient, but these guys only fight 2 times a year. Just because you fought Mathysse doesn't give you the right to take a year off and start fighting week opposition again. I mean Mayfield just beat Herrera.

I'm not saying Herrera is sorry, I'm just saying Mayfield just beat the guy.

If these guys fought a few times a month, I would be happy with him fighting the loser out of the opponents. But we won't see Garcia in the ring again until December ish, maybe even next year. Like I said, maybe I'm just impatient, but I'm getting old as hell lol
                  Mayfield didn't just beat Herrera, he beat him in 2012, which was 1 year and half ago.

Herrera showed that he is no worse than David Diaz, Brandon Rios, Joshua Clottey, Victor Ortiz, Carlos Baldomir. So why would you have preferred to watch Garcia vs Mayfield rather than Garcia-Herrera, especially looking it in hindsight? If you are in the belief that Herrera beat Danny Garcia, which you clearly showed you are, then that gives Herrera a resume of Garcia, Provodnikov and Dallas Jr, which makes him superior to Mayfield resume wise(not H2H).

Khan, Morales, Judah, Matthysse, Herrera in a span of 2 years is about as good as it gets for a 25 year old champion of a weight division. When people criticize Canelo and Garcia, they forget about a big factor, which is their age. 23 and 25 respectively, is very young and look what they've done in the sport.

Comment

Mayfield didn't just beat Herrera, he beat him in 2012, which was 1 year and half ago.

Herrera showed that he is no worse than David Diaz, Brandon Rios, Joshua Clottey, Victor Ortiz, Carlos Baldomir. So why would you have preferred to watch Garcia vs Mayfield rather than Garcia-Herrera, especially looking it in hindsight? If you are in the belief that Herrera beat Danny Garcia, which you clearly showed you are, then that gives Herrera a resume of Garcia, Provodnikov and Dallas Jr, which makes him superior to Mayfield resume wise(not H2H).

Khan, Morales, Judah, Matthysse, Herrera in a span of 2 years is about as good as it gets for a 25 year old champion of a weight division. When people criticize Canelo and Garcia, they forget about a big factor, which is their age. 23 and 25 respectively, is very young and look what they've done in the sport.
                    Well if you're gonna big up Herrera like you're doing now, then Mayfield should be ranked #1.

You know as well as I do, that Saturday wasn't supposed to happen. Herrera was supposed to be a gate keeper and allow Garcia to look good in front of his PR crowd. It was an easy win that went wrong.

Let's not make Herrera out to be no better than a Brian Vera, who is a great spoiler, and difficult guy to beat, but not the elite of the division.

But if you're going to make Herrera to be an elite contender in the division, than Mayfield should also be in that conversation even if his biggest win is against Herrera; which it isn't. He also was the first to stop Steve Forbes which is no bigger of a win, than Garcia's over Morales before he got the Khan fight.

All I'm saying is give the man a shot. Even if Garcia, whoops his ass, then great. But the video posted in the OP was BS. They just straight up told the man no for no real reason.

PS- Herrera's wins since the Mayfield losS weren't anything substantial enough to warrant a title shot...
                    Last edited by BoxingGenius27; 03-17-2014, 03:38 PM.

Comment

I felt Garcia beat Herrera, I am not making Herrera look elite, I simply took your opinion of Herrera beating Garcia, reminded you that Herrera officially beat Provodnikov and Dallas Jr and I am saying if you felt Herrera beat DG, then that now gives a superior resume to Mayfield.

Chris John beat Juan Manuel Marquez supposedly...that did not make him an elite fighter because he beat some one who went on to beat Pacquiao, Barrera and Casamayor. You simply do not make a career out of beating some one who went on to become a good fighter, while you yourself have done absolutely nothing after that.

A lot of people felt Castillo beat Floyd, did it make Castillo elite or HOF bound because of what Floyd did afterward in his career? You get the point. Mayfield can not share Herrera's glory just because he beat him.

Regardless, Mayfield IMO needs to continue proving himself, Herrera and Dulorme(pending) will be good starts. I never saw any one at all, not even the worst DG critics ever bring up Garcia vs Mayfield.

Comment

Working...
                      X