Did Cotto lose to Pacquaio because of the catchweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post
    So Floyd could not beat Canelo at 154?
    do think he could-yes. But my opinion doesn't change the fact floyd negotiated a CW and wouldn't have done so if he didn't feel it gave him a better chance to win.

Comment

Originally posted by Twako View Post
      what rematch at full weight? 154? manny never fought at that limit. cotto wanted marg at 150 and thats what manny is agreeable for a rematch.
      Cotto fighting Marg at 150 has nothing to do with the weight for a cotto manny rematch.

If other fight weights are relative, I could just as easily ask why could manny fight odh at 147 and not cotto.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_L View Post
        anybody with 2 eyes and half a brain could see that cotto was not very good in that fight. catchweight played a big part. cotto trying to train himself was another problem.
        Cotto did just fine but got caught by those akward, Manny style southpaw punches. It was a great win and 1 lb had nothing to do with how it played out. Cotto knows it so why don't you?

Comment

Cotto did just fine but got caught by those akward, Manny style southpaw punches. It was a great win and 1 lb had nothing to do with how it played out. Cotto knows it so why don't you?
          cotto doesn't know it.

"The only offer Top Rank ever made us was the same money as in 2009," Cotto told ESPN.com. "[Arum] made the same offer he made in 2009, and we found it kind of funny. That was the reason we decided not to face Pacquiao. That, and they also wanted me to go down to 150 pounds and give him the same advantage that they gave Pacquiao in 2009, a catchweight."
          Last edited by Big_L; 03-04-2014, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
            do think he could-yes. But my opinion doesn't change the fact floyd negotiated a CW and wouldn't have done so if he didn't feel it gave him a better chance to win.
            At that level, 1-2 lbs don't matter. It's more of a psychological thing IMO.

The same results would have happened in both fights, CW or no CW.

It's just a case of the big names flexing their muscles.

It's been happening in boxing for over 100 years now in one form or another.

Comment

cotto doesn't know it.

"The only offer Top Rank ever made us was the same money as in 2009," Cotto told ESPN.com. "[Arum] made the same offer he made in 2009, and we found it kind of funny. That was the reason we decided not to face Pacquiao. That, and they also wanted me to go down to 150 pounds and give him the same advantage that they gave Pacquiao in 2009, a catchweight."
              Where does it say that Cotto thinks he lost because he weighed in 1 lb less than what he weighed in his previous fight?

I didn't think so. He's never complained about it and there's a reason for that.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                Is it fair to post that many manny fans, including yourself, are so sure Cotto was fine is because to acknowledge the CW affected cotto, would, in effect, take away something from a win your favorite fighter had?

Is it fair to think Manny's unwilligness to rematch him at a full weight suggests that Manny and TR feel cotto would be a different fighter without the CW?
                my bad cotto beats pac.

Comment

Where does it say that Cotto thinks he lost because he weighed in 1 lb less than what he weighed in his previous fight?

I didn't think so. He's never complained about it and there's a reason for that.
                  you don't think that's what he's implying???

Comment

he could have been heathly.

maybe you just don't understand what being weight drained means.

you can tell in a fighters legs. like morales in the 3rd pac fight. or dawson/ward. or dlh/pac. cotto uses his legs. he likes to bounce around. he had no life in his legs that fight.

cotto fought 6 rounds and ran the last 6. throwing weak punches off his back foot. he didn't have stamina. he was lucky pac let up.
                    so u're saying he wssnt healthy at 145? LOL! how did he manage to win the 1st round then if he was soooo sick and weak? cotto had no legs? are u serious????? is that why in the later rounds he was on his bike?? i dont get what ur saying, first u said he's unhealthy, weak, then u said he ran for 6 rounds? then u said he has no stamina LOL! listen to urself dude lmao!

Comment

• Originally posted by Evol View Post
                      my bad cotto beats pac.
                      I only asked was it fair to ask the questions, which you chose not to nswer.

Comment

Working...
                      X