Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gary Russell Jr. still hasn't fought for a title, while Lomachenko in his 2nd fight..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
    But fighters with smaller promoters get fights.
    Yeah but he doesn't even have a small promoter, he has no promoter. So the problem is there is no one behind him pushing him to get big fights. He's even with Al Haymon, doesn't matter without a promoter. If he was with Golden Boy for example, they would have an interest in building his name, so they'd throw him on an undercard against decent opponents and build him up. You really need a promoter early on in your career.

Comment

Originally posted by ***1048;ATAS View Post
      And we know why now. Russell Jr. is a free agent, he's not promoted by Golden Boy or Top Rank, which is a big mistake imo. It's only smart to become a free agent once you're a Cotto, or a Mayweather, otherwise no promoter will want their champs fighting him.
      I thought he was a Golden Boy/Haymon fighter?

This sucks though, its like politics you have to choose a side. Why won't Russell sign with a promoter? this guy screwed up his career. He could at least get with a neutral party that can do business with both sides like Dibella or Main Events.

Comment

Yeah but he doesn't even have a small promoter, he has no promoter. So the problem is there is no one behind him pushing him to get big fights. He's even with Al Haymon, doesn't matter without a promoter. If he was with Golden Boy for example, they would have an interest in building his name, so they'd throw him on an undercard against decent opponents and build him up. You really need a promoter early on in your career.
        He's had choices like UTEP said, franco and Ponce, but he declined those to instead fight 8 rounders against TBA. Now he will be the mando to the Salido-loma winner, so lets see where that goes.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
          I thought he was a Golden Boy/Haymon fighter?

This sucks though, its like politics you have to choose a side. Why won't Russell sign with a promoter? this guy screwed up his career. He could at least get with a neutral party that can do business with both sides like Dibella or Main Events.
          He is with Haymon but no contract with any promoter. It is dumb of him I agree. I'm sure he'll sign with someone eventually.

He is the mandatory to Salido vs Lomachenko.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
            He's had choices like UTEP said, franco and Ponce, but he declined those to instead fight 8 rounders against TBA. Now he will be the mando to the Salido-loma winner, so lets see where that goes.
            He was also rejected by Jhonny Gonzalez after he KOd Mares, so he has tried to step up as well.

Actually reading online he may have just recently signed with Golden Boy I'm not sure exactly.

Comment

He is with Haymon but no contract with any promoter. It is dumb of him I agree. I'm sure he'll sign with someone eventually.

He is the mandatory to Salido vs Lomachenko.
              LOL highly unlikely he will fight the winner, Arum and Haymon hate each other.

Russell hasn't even stepped up in opposition. The guy really is just wasting away.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
                thats primarily because rosado is a gatekeeper. russell isnt. hes definitely one of the most talented guys in the lower divisions. high risk little to no reward. but hes been grossly mis managed.
                Yup this just proves a fighter with haymon alone is not enough in this business, haymon without a promotional companies support cant really get shit done.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
                  LOL highly unlikely he will fight the winner, Arum and Haymon hate each other.

Russell hasn't even stepped up in opposition. The guy really is just wasting away.
                  Yes but Salido vs Loma was only made with the agreement they would fight the mandatory:
                  There was a little catch to the bout being sanctioned, apparently. According to*Luke Furman at Boxing Scene the fight was sanctioned on the basis that the winner would face the mandatory challenger within 75 days. The man currently ranked at the top of the WBO's featherweight rankings? Gary Russell Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexaAriza View Post
                    The TBA assassin aka The TBA killer aka The TBA Kryptonite aka The TBA Body Snatcher Aka The TBA Executioner AKA El Terrible TBA Asesino aint worried about what no motherfucking lomo is doing. He murdering opponents left and right.
                    This right here ^^^^^. This beef with TBA runs deeper than some title fight.

Comment

To be fair Jhonny Gonzalez didn't want anything to do with him.

But I agree in general, GRJ has been a pro for 5 years and hasn't done anything in the sport. Bad management around him.

Comment

Working...
                      X