No announcement yet.

Is Joe Frazier really an ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Szef99 View Post
    Again, I was responding to that other guy's post. Both Frazier and Gatti were involved in great trilogies and they both were very exciting. Gatti is not considered to be an ATG while Joe, based on one win, is.

Give me a break? What damn good fighters? Frazier fought Chisoras and Tony Thompsons of his times.

The reason the first Ali fight was the Fight of the Century is because great and controversial Muhammad Ali was coming back after 4 year lay off to claim his title back from the current HW champion and that's it. People were interested in that fight because of Ali, not because of Frazier
    The bold is just absolutely ridiculous. It'd be more like Frazier beating the Hayes and Povetkins of his time, if anything you could compare to today. The 60s was a pretty good heavyweight era, which is why Ali was already one of the best heavyweights ever before going away because he dominated that decade. Frazier dominated the division afterwards, before losing to a top 5 ever heavyweight in George Foreman.

There was legitimate dispute which was the real champion between the old and the new. Even though Ali never lost, Frazier was the recognized champion even after he came back. It was one of the biggest fights ever because it had 2 great, undefeated fighters settling the issue in the ring.

But I can see that you're determined to believe Frazier was overrated with one good win in his life no matter what anyone tells you, so whatever.

Comment

Again, I was responding to that other guy's post. Both Frazier and Gatti were involved in great trilogies and they both were very exciting. Gatti is not considered to be an ATG while Joe, based on one win, is.
      You can't compare the two trilogies. It's two different levels of fighters. Are you trying to say if Frazier is considered an ATG, then Gatti should be as well based on the fact that he was in a great trilogy also? Frazier's career is why some consider him to be an ATG. He beat some damn good fighters in a great era for HW boxing, and he gave one of the greatest ever, regardless of weight, everything he could handle during a trilogy including a defeat. Like I said, I consider him a great HW, but not one of the greatest to ever lace them up.
      Last edited by KingTito; 02-22-2014, 08:43 PM.

Comment

He won the fight of the century

Yes he is an atg

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
          The bold is just absolutely ridiculous. It'd be more like Frazier beating the Hayes and Povetkins of his time, if anything you could compare to today. The 60s was a pretty good heavyweight era, which is why Ali was already one of the best heavyweights ever before going away because he dominated that decade. Frazier dominated the division afterwards, before losing to a top 5 ever heavyweight in George Foreman.

There was legitimate dispute which was the real champion between the old and the new. Even though Ali never lost, Frazier was the recognized champion even after he came back. It was one of the biggest fights ever because it had 2 great, undefeated fighters settling the issue in the ring.

But I can see that you're determined to believe Frazier was overrated with one good win in his life no matter what anyone tells you, so whatever.
          What good fighters? Other than Ali, Joe Frazier has a lot of bums and mediocre fighters at best on his resume.

The bold part is true, I believe that with all due respect to him, Joe Frazier is overrated mostly because he fought in good ol' days.

Nostalgia, that's all I got to say about that.

Originally posted by KingTito View Post
          You can't compare the two trilogies. It's two different levels of fighters. Are you trying to say if Frazier is considered an ATG, then Gatti should be as well based on the fact that he was in a great trilogy also? Frazier's career is why some consider him to be an ATG. He beat some damn good fighters in a great era for HW boxing, and he gave one of the greatest ever, regardless of weight, everything he could handle during a trilogy including a defeat. Like I said, I consider him a great HW, but not one of the greatest to ever lace them up.
          According to that guy Joe Frazier is an ATG because he was involved in of the greatest trilogy of all time. So was Gatti.

Frazier like Gatti was involved in great trilogy, he was exciting, he was tough, he defeated Ali once and than lost 2 times. I won't even mention Foreman fights.

Sorry but this guy is not an ATG.

Fuck me, it's 3 AM already...When I wake up I expect at least 100 replies in this thread.

Of course 80 of them will come from JAB and LacedUp. Goodnight.

Comment

Frazier was involved in a trilogy with the GOAT of heavyweights

Gatti in a trilogy with a glorified journeymen

Comment

According to that guy Joe Frazier is an ATG because he was involved in of the greatest trilogy of all time. So was Gatti
              I guess I can see your point. I simply argue that you have to look at the quality of fighters in the trilogy.

Comment

Joe took Ali's 0 and the Thrilla in Manila is one of, if not THE greatest fight of all time. It was one of those fights where there was no 'loser' just a winner. And Foreman destroyed everyone, not just Joe. Ali beating Big George was one of the biggest upsets in Boxing History and a huge reason for why he is considered the greatest HW ever.

Frazier is a bonafide ATG HW.

Comment

He arguably won all three so there.

And yes he's Absolutely an ATG.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                    He arguably won all three so there.

And yes he's Absolutely an ATG.
                    You can't argue he won the last one, regardless of what people say Ali was saying to his corner.

I love a good "Cut my god damn mother****ing gloves off you mother****er" joke as much as the next guy, but nothing can change the fact that Eddie Futch stopped that fight from going another 3 minutes.

Comment

ATG heavyweight yes. However, some might say he's not among the 10 greatest heavies ever. So it comes down to subjective evaluation, as it often does with the 'ATG' talk being thrown around loosely.
                      Last edited by Weltschmerz; 02-23-2014, 02:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X