No announcement yet.

The Official Miguel Cotto-Sergio Martinez Master Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Holy Hatred View Post
    Is that the lightest Sergio's ever weighed in at middleweight? I was expecting him to tip the scales at exactly 160lb, why would he go through the strenuous task of cutting an extra 2lbs?
    he has never actually weighed in at 160 for any of his middleweight fights always 159, this time he weighed 158.8 so there is hardly any difference

Comment

Is that the lightest Sergio's ever weighed in at middleweight? I was expecting him to tip the scales at exactly 160lb, why would he go through the strenuous task of cutting an extra 2lbs?
      Originally posted by HateBoxing View Post
      he has never actually weighed in at 160 for any of his middleweight fights always 159, this time he weighed 158.8 so there is hardly any difference
      Besides, the fight is at a catchweight of 159.

Comment

• Originally posted by jas View Post
        staredown and weighins matter a lot, i have made bets based on them and never lost
        Despite what many fans seem to think, they're not the body language experts they think they are. It's not that often you see a fighter betray total intimidation, the likes of which Mike Tyson used to inspire. Unless I see a fighter visibly frightened of his opponent, I don't put much stock in a stare-down. People often see what they want to see. Besides, nervousness and even fear can dissipate the moment that first bell sounds. It's all too unreliable a gauge to cling on to. If it's worked for you, more power to ya.

I consider the rest of the weigh-in to have some value, of course. The apparent physical condition of the athletes often tells us how well they prepared. Cotto obviously had no problem getting ready for this fight. He looked great. As Miguel said himself, it's the first time he hasn't had to worry about his weight. I thought Sergio looked great as well, especially when you consider that he had to actually cut weight. He'll look fuller and healthier tonight, after he replenishes the carbohydrate stores in his body.

Originally posted by jas View Post
        there's been many exceptions to a good big man beating a good little man

Greb Fulton
        Greb Brennan
        Greb Miske
        Dempsey Willard
        Walker Uzcudun
        Louis Baer
        Fitzsimmons Corbett
        Armstrong Garcia
        Duran Barkley
        Chavez Sr Taylor
        Sam Langford Harry Wills
        Sam Langford Sam McVea
        Sam Langford Bill Tate
        Sam Langford Jim Johnson
        Sam Langford Jim Flynn
        Sam Langford joe Jeanette
        Hopkins Tarver
        Exceptions to a rule can be found in all areas of life, but banking on them is a failed road to victory.

I'm no boxing expert or historian, but I can see from a few of those match-ups that they don't exactly support your case. Louis-Baer? Duran-Barkley? There's good, and then there's good. When there's too much of a disparity in skill or physical ability, the smaller man can certainly overcome his size disadvantage. Mike Tyson proved that on a regular basis. Your argument doesn't apply to Cotto-Martinez, IMO. I'll tell you which fight I think does: Monzon-Napoles. Carlos won when "Mantequilla" failed to answer the bell for the seventh. That's where I see tonight's fight headed.

Who do you have winning this bout? You don't seem sure who you want to go with.

Comment

LMAO...because Cotto's puto ass made the fight a catchweight of 159 for Sergio's 160 lb title. He wanted 158 but Sergio's team said forget it. They had EVERY single advantage heading into this fight and they treated the MW champ like a class B chump. Tonight, reality hits when Sergio shows them how a real A side wins a fight.

Comment

• Cotto must come firing on all cylenders early and he cant come in straight at Martinez, he must give him angles and cut of the ring like he knows how.

I think Cotto takes it by UD.

Comment

• Originally posted by Golovkin View Post
              Beautiful night tomorrow night for Cotto fans!! It will be a very enjoyable experience watching Martinez get beat up senseless hopping around on one leg lmao. **** that guy.

WAR COTTOOOO!!!!!!
              Did you notice how Martinez WASN"T wearing a knee brace at the weigh in yesterday? Like he said, it's a precautionary measure recommended by the doctor. You, Roach, Cotto, and just about everyone else will be sorely disappointed when that knee is perfectly fine and the schit hits the fan. People should put trust in skills to win fights, not the hope that the opponent is less than 100%

Tomorrow will be a day filed with enjoyable reads on here for sure.

Comment

• You were saying?

And that's what he did to a cruiser weight. Is Cotto a cruiser weight by chance?

Comment

• Originally posted by mathed View Post
                  You were saying?

And that's what he did to a cruiser weight. Is Cotto a cruiser weight by chance?
                  If you think Cotto is another Chavez jr you are sadly mistaken. Chavez might be big but his skills or his defense are not even close to matching those of Cotto. Cotto has faced better fighters than Sergio but I really dont think Sergio has faced anyone with the combination of skills of a Miguel Cotto.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnimalisticMeth View Post
                    If you think Cotto is another Chavez jr you are sadly mistaken. Chavez might be big but his skills or his defense are not even close to matching those of Cotto. Cotto has faced better fighters than Sergio but I really dont think Sergio has faced anyone with the combination of skills of a Miguel Cotto.
                    No, Chavez doesn't come close to Cotto's skills and overall quality. Yes, Miguel has faced better P4P comp than Sergio has. But I don't think any of that matters. What matters is that Cotto's best days were at 147, and Martinez is the legitimate middleweight champion. What matters is that Sergio is comparably as good on a P4P basis as Miguel, but he's bigger, faster and stronger. It also matters how healthy Martinez ultimately is. If "Maravilla" is 100% tonight, Cotto does not see the final bell.

Comment

• Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                      No, Chavez doesn't come close to Cotto's skills and overall quality. Yes, Miguel has faced better P4P comp than Sergio has. But I don't think any of that matters. What matters is that Cotto's best days were at 147, and Martinez is the legitimate middleweight champion. What matters is that Sergio is comparably as good on a P4P basis as Miguel, but he's bigger, faster and stronger. It also matters how healthy Martinez ultimately is. If "Maravilla" is 100% tonight, Cotto does not see the final bell.
                      What are the chances that he will be 100%? I think pretty slim.

Comment

Working...
                      X