Anthony Joshua looking for titles this year

Collapse
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • PainfromUkraine
    The Takeover
    Platinum Champion - 1,000-5,000 posts
    • Jul 2013
    • 2725
    • 348
    • 283
    • 10,024

    #1

    Anthony Joshua looking for titles this year

    As Anthony Joshua MBE gets ready to take on Abedare’s Dorian Darch tonight in his fourth professional contest, the Olympic gold medalist hinted that he’s looking for titles sooner rather than later, and expects the ball to start rolling this year.
    Joshua told the Mirror that he’s keen to fight for the British strap, which was vacated by David Price last year and hasn’t been contested since the Liverpudlian defeated Matt Skelton in December 2012.
    Joshua said: "I wouldn't turn it down if the opportunity arose.
    "I do have instructions from my coach, but, me, personally, I'd love to go for the big time and fight for a British title. "
    The British Boxing Board of Control’s latest circular dated 13th January contained no mention of the British title, but stated that the Board is awaiting a date and venue from promoter Frank Warren to stage an English title defence for Horndon’s John McDermott against Brixton’s Southern Area champion Iain Lewison, currently promoted by Steve Goodwin.
    Manchester’s cousin-of-Tyson Hughie Fury, who fights on February 15 at the Copper Box, could also be in the mix for a shot this year. Fury had an incredibly busy start to his career in 2013, notching up 13 wins in nine months.
    Joshua awaits his opportunity: "Come the summer, they'll be more news to come. Potentially, an opportunity might arise where I compete for a title. But as for now, I'm concentrating on Saturday."
    Anthony Joshua v Dorian Darch is part of of huge bill from the Motorpoint Arena in Cardiff, topped by Lee Selby and Rendall Munroe contesting the British and (vacant) European featherweight titles. The action gets underway at 8.00pm on Sky Sports.
    Discuss
  • MBE
    Order of Chivalry
    Platinum Champion - 1,000-5,000 posts
    • Sep 2011
    • 1772
    • 106
    • 134
    • 8,505

    #2
    AJ MBE will run through them all over the next few years. If he proves he can take a punch along the way up I would love to see how vlad handles a tall athletic heavyweight. Will be interesting as he begins to slide.

    Comment

    • The Hammer
      Banned
      Franchise Champion - 20,000+ posts
      • Dec 2007
      • 50797
      • 3,416
      • 8,704
      • 58,851

      #3
      He looks to me to be the best of the up-and-coming heavyweights.

      Still, he needs more pro fights before going for a world title.

      Comment

      • PainfromUkraine
        The Takeover
        Platinum Champion - 1,000-5,000 posts
        • Jul 2013
        • 2725
        • 348
        • 283
        • 10,024

        #4
        Originally posted by Freedom2014
        He looks to me to be the best of the up-and-coming heavyweights.

        Still, he needs more pro fights before going for a world title.
        In terms of athleticism, technique etc he looks like a very solid prospect with lots of potential. If he proves to have a decent chin he will for sure be a world champ in a few years. I think he should go for the British title at the start of 2015 though, not this year. Then maybe start of 2016 a world title shot.

        Comment

        • LacedUp
          Still Smokin'
          Franchise Champion - 20,000+ posts
          • Oct 2009
          • 29171
          • 781
          • 381
          • 132,163

          #5
          Him and Hughie are the Best Young heavies out there. But I don't think he could go for a world title before a couple of years from now. Also depending on who the champ is at the time, he might have to wait a bit. No need to rush either of these two. But it will be interesting to see what happens with him and how he's moved along. British title shot could happen this year for either of them.

          Comment

          Working...
          TOP