Whitaker v Chavez, rewatched it

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
    Just no...

Pretty much how I saw it, the early rounds were damn close, I gave Chavez two of the first 5 rounds. Then the 6th came and Whitaker moved it up a notch, although he should have been deducted at least a point for consistent low blows.

Yeah, the Manny/Bradley card was much worse. And that CJ Ross card in the Floyd/Can fight was a joke but I can see why some had that fight closer than you'd think. Floyd gave away some later rounds, he slowed down his pace and allowed Canelo to work.

yes for point deduction and yes to the first 5 rounds being close as hell but from rounds 6-9 Whitaker was in a different league. Jabbing, moving, not getting touched, countering and even snapping chavez's head back a couple times. It was all sweet pea in that part of the fight. 10/11/12 were all good rounds but again, the argument can be made for Whitaker winning most of them. I gave the final round to Chavez cos Whitaker seemed intent running.

And why wouldn't Whitaker call for a rematch??? Look at Tarver after the first Roy fight, you gotta call for a rematch.
    I hope you're not suggesting that Tarver was robbed against Roy in the first fight, because he wasn't even close to robbed.

Comment

Whitaker clearly won this fight but the difference between what Whitaker did, and what Mayweather did in the Canelo fight was vast. Whitaker fought on the inside and landed hard shots to the head and body.

Mayweather stayed on the outside. He didn't punch hard at all. He missed many punches or just tapped the gloves. He didn't hit Canelo hard enough to wake up a sleeping three year old. Whitaker hit Chavez hard. Chavez just had an awesome chin.

Mayweather really schooled Ginger that fight. He showed how to make a lot of money and not really fight too hard. Mostly run and fool multitudes of people doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by NEELZ View Post
        Whitaker clearly won this fight but the difference between what Whitaker did, and what Mayweather did in the Canelo fight was vast. Whitaker fought on the inside and landed hard shots to the head and body.

Mayweather stayed on the outside. He didn't punch hard at all. He missed many punches or just tapped the gloves. He didn't hit Canelo hard enough to wake up a sleeping three year old. Whitaker hit Chavez hard. Chavez just had an awesome chin.

Mayweather really schooled Ginger that fight. He showed how to make a lot of money and not really fight too hard. Mostly run and fool multitudes of people doing it.
        What are you talking about? Mayweather fought the majority of the Canelo fight on the inside. I would say he moved even less than Whitaker did. Both guys hit their opponents hard and neither guy was able to knock Chavez/Canelo out because of their lack of power.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
          Interesting thread here...

There are only two parties: the Latinos and, and, and... With a single exception...

... But I wonder: did Whitaker call for a rematch back then? He should have...
          Haha, you just being nice. You might remember like i do that Chavez wanted the rematch but Whitiker and Duva both said (primerly Whitiker) that Chavez would have to say he lost in order to fight him again. This going to piss off a lot of Whitiker fans but its the truth.

I thought Whitiker won but i don't have it as lopsided as some do. Whitikers downfall also came around the same age Chavez was in there fight. Interesting aint it.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnwoo8686 View Post
            What are you talking about? Mayweather fought the majority of the Canelo fight on the inside. I would say he moved even less than Whitaker did. Both guys hit their opponents hard and neither guy was able to knock Chavez/Canelo out because of their lack of power.
            Mayweather fought portions of the fight on the inside but largely, especially in the first half, he jabbed and stayed away. WHitaker preferred staying in the pocket and countering shot for shot.

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
            I hope you're not suggesting that Tarver was robbed against Roy in the first fight, because he wasn't even close to robbed.
            Tarver wasn't robbed but it was a close fight and RJJ kept moaning about weight loss after the fight cos he knew it was tough and everyone watching knew it was tough.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
              So here's my round by round score card:

1. 10-0 Whitaker
              2. 10-9 Chavez
              3. 10-9 Whitaker
              4. 10-9 Whitaker
              5. 10-9 Chavez
              6. 10-9 Whitaker
              7. 10-9 Whitaker
              8. 10-9 Whitaker
              9. 10-9 Whitaker
              10. 10-9 Whitaker
              11. 10-9 Whitaker
              12. 10-9 Chavez

117-111 Whitaker
              I never scored it but I felt it was a very close fight. I would probably score it 7 rounds to 5 for Whitaker.

Comment

Originally posted by lolpz View Post
                LMFAO. That fight was so clear, anything less than 118-110 in favor of whitaker is a robbery in itself.

Same goes for the canelo floyd fight.
                Nothing about this fight was clear. I do not know how that myth survived that it was a highway robbery. It was a very close and I mean VERY close fight with very close rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Halls of Fame View Post
                  Nothing about this fight was clear. I do not know how that myth survived that it was a highway robbery. It was a very close and I mean VERY close fight with very close rounds.
                  It's not a myth. No one will disagree the fight started off close but these were close rounds that most people gave to Whitaker and rightfully so. From round 6-9, Whitaker dominated every second and Chavez just looked stunned. 10 and 11 were closer but again it was Whitaker who won them, the 12th belonged to CHavez cos Whitaker didn't do anything.

If Whitaker had been deducted a point or 2 (which he should have) then we can make a case for a close fight.

Comment

Working...
                  X