Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Victo Ortiz’s return certain to bring out the worst on Web

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Victo Ortiz’s return certain to bring out the worst on Web

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - I dig Victor Ortiz.

There… I said it.

Unlike many colleagues in the new world of “I’ve gotta find someone to rip” sports journalism – and contrary to those who navigate the comment rolls from the cozy confines of mom’s rent-controlled basement – I think he’s a tough-as-nails kid with as much heart as any other title-level fighter.

And probably equal, if not more, sense.

When it comes to his TKO loss to Marcos Maidana a few years back, purists and trolls of all stripes were left aghast as they peered through Gatti-tinted glasses and saw nothing short of a primetime, premium cable act of cowardice on the part of a TV-manufactured pretty boy.

“He’s finished,” they spat in unison, recoiling at the concept of surrender before brain bleed, and extolling the virtues of marble-mouthed heroes who’d sooner lose in a stupor than quit un-concussed.

The tough-guy crowd relaxed its stance a bit when Ortiz jumped up a weight class, got off the mat twice and jostled muscle-bound Andre Berto from the ranks of the unbeaten in one of 2011’s best scraps, and it co-opted him as a poster boy for fair play when Floyd Mayweather Jr. cold-cocked him on PPV.

All, it seemed, was right with the world once more.

Until he fought Josesito Lopez, and went and acted human again. [Click Here To Read More]

Very tough comeback fight for Victor that's for sure. Hopefully his jaw holds up even if he loses because he's entertaining to watch and it would be a shame for boxing to lose him at such a young age.

Comment

I think victors fun to watch. He should win this if his jaws not perm gone. Like Weebler I enjoy watching him fight and he's a likeable guy...hope he comes through.

Comment

You really cant hate ortiz. He is fan friendly. Ortiz vs berto is one of my fav fights. Cant forget the two left hooks ortiz gave him after being dropped in the 6th

Comment

Ortiz

Ortiz vs rios to end the promotional Cold War.. Hatred! About same level! Fan friendly! 50/50! Staples center! Arum and oscar sitting side by side!

Comment

used to big on Ortiz when he was at 140 I honestly thought he would be the next big thing but how the **** does Josesito Lopez sideline your career and maybe even ends it.

damn shame this guy is probably the next Joan Guzman has all the talents in the world but us just not built for this sport

Comment

Great article by Lyle Fitzsimmons and I gotta say I'm a big fan of Victor Ortiz, I always have been and I've never questioned his heart or talent. Ortiz is a great warrior with a great style and I'm glad that he will be back this Thursday night and I expect to see him give us another great fight. Like everybody else I hope that his jaw has been healed back to 100% and I hope that it never becomes an issue for him. I wish Ortiz all the best and hope to see him become champion once again.

Comment

i think the reason people have a go at ortiz is because he has all the tools but insists on being a muppet

Comment

I like Ortiz, too, but the author is getting a little carried away. "Tough as nails" and "great heart"? Were we watching the same Ortiz?

And it's not the quitting that hurt him the most imo, it's the post fight interviews in which he basically said he didn't care that he lost, in a disturbingly nonchalant manner.

I think Ortiz is just more of an "athlete" than a "fighter". There's no shame in that.
                  Last edited by Black Barty; 01-28-2014, 05:04 AM.

Comment

Aside from the chino fight I can't really hate Ortiz. His fights aren't boring like other ppls fights are.

Comment

Working...
                    X