Collapse
No announcement yet.

Martinez explains why he's "motivated to beat up" Cotto

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop fighting a 147 pounder Mr. Martinez. You need to fight Golovkin or Pirog next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Bring It On View Post
      Who is he supposed to fight though?

Quillin ducks him. Murray ducks him. Sergio ducks him. Everybody and their grandma ducks him.
      Agreed, but maybe you can get someone other than the Champion for your first big name fight, especially when such champ is looking at making his last couple big money fights. People have been ducking Martinez for years, now that he's looking at what may be his last couple fights so I understand wanting to make as much money as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by FerFAL View Post
        Agreed, but maybe you can get someone other than the Champion for your first big name fight, especially when such champ is looking at making his last couple big money fights. People have been ducking Martinez for years, now that he's looking at what may be his last couple fights so I understand wanting to make as much money as possible.
        Sergio's run as the MW champ is overrated.

During the time that Golovkin has been the WBA-champ Sergio has fought Dzinziruk, Barker, Macklin, Chavez Jr and Murray. JCCjr brought more money to the table than does Golovkin, sure, but the other 4? I highly doubt it, and if some of them do, it's not much. And they do NOT carry any belts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bring It On View Post
          Sergio's run as the MW champ is overrated.

During the time that Golovkin has been the WBA-champ Sergio has fought Dzinziruk, Barker, Macklin, Chavez Jr and Murray. JCCjr brought more money to the table than does Golovkin, sure, but the other 4? I highly doubt it, and if some of them do, it's not much. And they do NOT carry any belts.
          You're wrong about that though. Murray brought more money than you would think. It was a Brit fighting an Argy in Argentina, broke all TV view records in Argentina and besides the fight Martinez got an unkown amount of money from the Argentine government for making the fight in his home country.

Comment

You're wrong about that though. Murray brought more money than you would think. It was a Brit fighting an Argy in Argentina, broke all TV view records in Argentina and besides the fight Martinez got an unkown amount of money from the Argentine government for making the fight in his home country.
            So tell me, what did Murray get?

And that still leaves us with Dzinziruk, Barker and Macklin.

Comment

It would be nice for GGG to have some more of the names outta the MW following pack, but Macklins about as good as Sturm, Barker, Geale, Murray etc - they're pretty much on a level for my money, and they'd all prefer to fight each other than Golovkin. There's kinda hints that Murray and/or Geale are possible for 2014 though - here's hoping.

Anyway, the comments in the article make it sound like Sergio has no desire to go out on his shield - kinda that he'd rather step aside than end up on the ropes against a younger rival (Golovkin?). Shame - even a few months ago Lewcowitz was saying Golovkin was in the plans for Sergio - maybe the Mago tragedy made him rethink?

Comment

It's so funny to see people clamoring for this fight, and I'll watch because I do believe it'll be entertaining. But.....Sergio once again isn't fighting the fight he needs to fight at 160, and getting a pass for it. As long as Sergio is going to be at least 75-80% of what he was, Cotto will be target practice to a wide UD.

Comment

Says it all. MW ATM has the likes of C level fighters, when someone who comes in GGG, he and his team makes excuses.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
                    It's so funny to see people clamoring for this fight, and I'll watch because I do believe it'll be entertaining. But.....Sergio once again isn't fighting the fight he needs to fight at 160, and getting a pass for it. As long as Sergio is going to be at least 75-80% of what he was, Cotto will be target practice to a wide UD.
                    MARTINEZ avoided Ward and now GGG. He wants to face poor tier fighters at MW!

He's a duck/

Comment

Miguel Cotto: "Sergio Martinez Fights C and D Class Fighters"

Is an old video but there you see sergio begging Cotto for a fight and then the one doing the interview asks Cotto why is someone like Sergio begging for a fight and Cotto says that Martinez needs to ask his team why they are putting him against D, C and B class fighters and not elite.

Comment

Working...
                      X