No announcement yet.

Floyd vs Maidana Is As Much A Mismatch As Pacquiao vs Rios

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd vs Maidana Is As Much A Mismatch As Pacquiao vs Rios

Maidana and Rios are about the same in terms of skill level and even have a similar aggressive style. They often spar together and those sessions are always very close and evenly-matched.

If Floyd ever fought Maidana it would be the same as Pacquiao fighting Rios. Now if Floyd did chose Rios (a guy Manny just beat) I think most would be dead against that fight.

As everyone knows Khan already beat Maidana clearly and Maidana has not improved in any way since he fought Khan. He's the same fighter as before but against Broner he was back to the same sort of form as the Khan fight.

He went through a bad patch after his loss to Khan, depression and a drop in motivation plagued him with the realization that he had been beaten by a clearly better fighter, he fell out of love with the sport until he connected with Robert Garcia where the change of scene has brought back the passion he needed to once again be a top tier fighter and return to the level he was at when he lost to Khan.

The bottomline of course is that how could Floyd choose one of Khan's former victims instead of Khan himself? Wouldn't that be like Floyd choosing to fight Brandon Rios instead of fighting Pacquiao?

Exactly..

No it isn't. Maidana is a threat if he comes close enough to land combinations. And it's not that Floyd can't escape his assault, it's that he might not, and that's all Maidana needs. Maidana will get hit with a few coutner straight rights that will enrage him and Floyd, being Floyd, will at least have one exchange with him, and that's all it will take to make it interesting. Considering the fact that Floyd only has a few fights left, I expect him to go toe to toe with every opponent from here on out, even if only for portions of the fight. And that's why this fight will be exciting.

And Maidana hasn't improved in any way? Now I know I can't take you seriously. There isn't a fighter I know of that has improved more in less time. And Khan barely survived that fight, and would lose a rematch by a landslide, if he made it to the end. Let's not be ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by F!x View Post
      Maidana and Rios are about the same in terms of skill level and even have a similar aggressive style. They often spar together and those sessions are always very close and evenly-matched.

If Floyd ever fought Maidana it would be the same as Pacquiao fighting Rios. Now if Floyd did chose Rios (a guy Manny just beat) I think most would be dead against that fight.

As everyone knows Khan already beat Maidana clearly and Maidana has not improved in any way since he fought Khan. He's the same fighter as before but against Broner he was back to the same sort of form as the Khan fight.

He went through a bad patch after his loss to Khan, depression and a drop in motivation plagued him with the realization that he had been beaten by a clearly better fighter, he fell out of love with the sport until he connected with Robert Garcia where the change of scene has brought back the passion he needed to once again be a top tier fighter and return to the level he was at when he lost to Khan.

The bottomline of course is that how could Floyd choose one of Khan's former victims instead of Khan himself? Wouldn't that be like Floyd choosing to fight Brandon Rios instead of fighting Pacquiao?

Exactly..
      Wrong! Maidana has improved since the fight with Khan and if you can't see that you truly don't know boxing. In that fight Maidana was just a come forward power puncher with little to no head movent. Since he has teamed up with Robert Garcia he has improved greatly. He moves his head more, he feints, he goes to the body, and he sets up traps.

If Maidana and Khan were to rematch I'm 100% sure he knocks Khan out.

Comment

This isn't even close

Pacquiao was knocked out a year ago and took the longest layoff of his career against a roided Rios

I ranked Rios before the Pacquiao fight as being slightly better than Maidana

Rios and Maidana both beat Floyd's ass and Pacquiao beats all three of them so this thread sucks

Comment

A fight in 2010 has nothing to do with today's current state in boxing going into 2014. Khan is 2-2 his last 4 fights, which includes him getting knocked down and rattled in his last fight. Maidana current statues in boxing and buzz wise is better than Khan. And a Maidana fight would actually have a storyline, a Khan fight has none.
          Last edited by CLUE; 12-21-2013, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Your comparing a guy coming off career best win against someone promoted as the future of the sport, to a club fighter who was coming off a loss to another club fighter and you think that's the tougher fight

Comment

Originally posted by Check_hooks View Post
              This isn't even close

Pacquiao was knocked out a year ago and took the longest layoff of his career against a roided Rios

I ranked Rios before the Pacquiao fight as being slightly better than Maidana

Rios and Maidana both beat Floyd's ass and Pacquiao beats all three of them so this thread sucks
              When Maidana looses to Floyd you'll call him a bum afterwards.

Comment

We boxing fans can rant all we want but Floyd won't give a ****.

Fans make Floyd rich... thus, we all need to band together and boycott his next fight if he cherry picks someone we fans think will be a clear mismatch (e.g. Khan, Maidana).

Comment

Ts is right.

Broner was massively overrated like Berto.

Guys beat them and suddenly they are world beaters despite what there overall career says.

Maidana hasn't improved , he's just been matched well.

Alexander still shuts him out and so does Khan unless he gets caught with a huge shot.

I bet the same people said Ortiz had improved when he beat Berto. He was much better than the guy who quit against Maidana and drew with Peterson.
                  Last edited by Furn; 12-21-2013, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Furn View Post
                    Ts is right.

Broner was massively overrated like Berto.

Guys beat them and suddenly they are world beaters despite what there overall career says.

Maidana hasn't improved , he's just been matched well.

Alexander still shuts him out and so does Khan unless he gets caught with a huge shot.

I bet the same people said Ortiz had improved when he beat Berto. He was much better than the guy who quit against Maidana and drew with Peterson.
                    I did not think that with ortiz because his technique was the same. If you don't see how Maidana is more able to straighten his shots now and has better stamina and and able to work that jab while also being able to tap into who he was, then you are blind. Plain and simple. There's this thing called a gameplan. He had none against khan... he certainly had none against devon. Against khan we didn't see the same leverage being put on his shots, and he was slower. His conditioning wasn't as good, nor his technique. He fights khan again behind that jab and with the leverage and range he's been achieving in his last 3-4 fights, then he knocks Khan clean out. Against devon he laid in the clinch.. there were over 100 clinches in that fight. If Maidana had laid in the clinch against Broner he may have let him back in the fight or the momentum could have been different, giving broner time to think in there. But Maidana didn't give an inch in the clinch. He learned that from Devon. In a rematch he Porters devon. This is simple stuff really. Common sense.

Comment

Working...
                    X