No announcement yet.

HBO Sports President Talks Rigondeaux

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HBO Sports President Talks Rigondeaux

I just came across this statement (as reported by Dan Rafael on 12/20) by Ken Hershman, president of HBO Sports, regarding Guillermo Rigondeaux:

"I'm very torn, I have to say. I was expecting more from him," Hershman said. "This is one where you listen to the fans. The fans voted by turning off the channel. At the end of the day we're a TV network and we have to please our subscribers. If they're not interested we have to respect that. In the right match maybe there will be another opportunity, but it's not something getting done in the near future. I have tremendous respect for what he does but it's not something our subscribers responded to."

I certainly respect Hershman's statement. We all know Rigo isn't selling, and business is business. However, as a fan, I still want to see "El Chacal" fight. HBO no longer does business with Golden Boy and relies on Top Rank for their match-ups. I'm hoping Rigo simply goes over to GBP after his contract with TR is over (one more fight). Maybe it'll help, maybe it won't, but something has to be tried. Showtime has expressed interest in Rigo before. Maybe they can pick up the baton.

what he says is the simple truth whether we like it or not. it isnt hbo's job to promote fighters. its their job to showcase fighters ppl wanna see.

Comment

That sucks.

When you get to the point where you can beat anyone in the world, and it still isn't good enough.

Either way, just keep winning.

Comment

It's an unfortunate situation for Rigo, but I respect Hershman's statement as well. If he leaves TR I'm not so sure he's guaranteed a spot at Golden Boy though. Schaefer was critical of Rigo in some interviews last week and didn't seem fond of his entertainment value at all.

Comment

That's disappointing from HBO. After all Boxing has done for HBO sports, they still want to take the cheap route. No loyalty, no honor.

Rigo is clearly a Master of the Sweet Science, and his skills should be celebrated. Maybe if they Promoted him the way they Promoted Andre Berto, he would get more attention.

At the end of the day, Boxing is the sport that I love, and Rigondeaux is a master of it, so I will always watch him fight.

Money isn't everything, and I lost loyalty and respect for HBO today, because they have shown none to my sport.
          Last edited by DARKSEID; 12-20-2013, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
            what he says is the simple truth whether we like it or not. it isnt hbo's job to promote fighters. its their job to showcase fighters ppl wanna see.
            No question. It just sucks as a fan. I'm more interested now in Rigo's options, which are quite limited. I think he has to try Golden Boy and Showtime...if they're willing to take on the challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by - Righteous - View Post
              That's disappointing from HBO. After all Boxing has done for HBO sports, they still want to take the cheap route. No loyalty, no honor.

Rigo is clearly a Master of the Sweet Science, and his skills should be celebrated. Maybe if they Promoted him the way they Promoted Andre Berto, he would get more attention.

At the end of the day, Boxing is the sport that I love, and Rigondeaux is a master of it, so I will always watch him fight.

Money isn't everything, and I lost loyalty and respect for HBO today, because they have shown none to my sport.
              It's not about honor.

It's a business.

HBO isn't there to be friends, and anyone who thinks that was a fool to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post
                That sucks.

When you get to the point where you can beat anyone in the world, and it still isn't good enough.
                It's a travesty.

Either way, just keep winning.
                If there's any way out of this, this is it.

Comment

It's not about honor.

It's a business.

HBO isn't there to be friends, and anyone who thinks that was a fool to begin with.
                  It is whatever we say it is.

However we conduct ourselves is what will be. If you choose to have no honor then there will be none, if you choose to uphold it, then it will be so.

My point is, Boxing has done a lot for HBO, and there are things more important than money. In every other sport, the best are celebrated, no matter how much money they draw, because if you're a fan of the sport, then you have to recognize the best.

Comment

his candor protects his interests in this case. it's no surprise that this sort of rhetoric is coming out.

a 33 year old cuban counterpuncher. 122 lbs. southpaw. nuff said.

Comment

Working...
                    X