Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not fighting pacquaio how much will it hurt floyds legacy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Floyd's fanboys, it meaningless. The the rest of the boxing world.....not quite so meaningless

Comment

Originally posted by Furn View Post
      It definately hurts Floyd more.

Floyds legacy is about being undefeated. 45 have tried and 45 have failed. Hes won titles in 5 division and never lost. But, being undefeated when you didnt fight the guy universally recognized as your biggest challenge and the best guy around, while you where in the same division for 5 years, well, that takes a huge amount of tarnish of that 0.

Pacs lost, hes been KOed by nobodies, hes had draws, lost on points and been knocked out cold, but his legacy isn't about being unbeatable its about the things he could do at his best. Its about winning world titles in 8 divisions, 10 divisions apart.

Another loss for PAc in a Barrera v Hamad type fight (competitive but a clear win) against Floyd doesnt take away his achievements and his great wins.

FLoyd losing to Pac tho takes away that 0, and thats huge.

So Floyd has a lot more to lose by fighting Pac but also more to lose if they never fight.
      Good comment but this fight had to be made in 2010.

Comment

Alot. ...........

Comment

Of course this hurts his legacy, it was the biggest fight in boxing and one of the biggest in history, would have been the most lucrative of all time..

So yes, anytime they talk about floyd in the future, they will bring up the manny fight. It will haunt his legacy..

Manny wont be hurt as much by it because he will always be remembered for all the classic fights vs MAB, EM, JMM.. wheras floyd doesnt have contemporaries to face like that, he missed out on great fights between him and cotto, shane, margs in 07-09, had he fought those fights, i dont think the manny fight would have been that big of deal to his legacy, but with those fights absent, and no manny fight, floyd's legacy will be the guy that didnt have alot of great fights/opponents,, When corrales, hatton and canelo are considered your best wins along with old aged oscar, shane cotto. That doesnt bode well in terms of legact

Comment

that '0' is the only legacy Floyd cares about...that will remain safe until he retires

Comment

A few years ago would have said it would hurt his legacy a great deal. Not so much since Pac "lost" to Bradley and was put to sleep by Marquez. Im not even sure a lot of casual fans even know Manny still boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Espy
                Quote:

Originally Posted by Furn

It definately hurts Floyd more.

Floyds legacy is about being undefeated. 45 have tried and 45 have failed. Hes won titles in 5 division and never lost. But, being undefeated when you didnt fight the guy universally recognized as your biggest challenge and the best guy around, while you where in the same division for 5 years, well, that takes a huge amount of tarnish of that 0.

Pacs lost, hes been KOed by nobodies, hes had draws, lost on points and been knocked out cold, but his legacy isn't about being unbeatable its about the things he could do at his best. Its about winning world titles in 8 divisions, 10 divisions apart.

Another loss for PAc in a Barrera v Hamad type fight (competitive but a clear win) against Floyd doesnt take away his achievements and his great wins.

FLoyd losing to Pac tho takes away that 0, and thats huge.

So Floyd has a lot more to lose by fighting Pac but also more to lose if they never fight.

I think you're thinking about this wrong.

Floyd's DRAWING POWER (aka PPV buys) rests on him being undefeated.

Floyd's legacy rests on his skill set and how one sided the vast majority of his victories are. Even if Floyd loses one time before he retires he will still have an amazing legacy, be heralded as the top boxing savant of his generation and will still be considered an ATG. Although you are right to an extent, if Floyd doesn't retire undefeated his legacy will lose a bit of clout.

As far as the effect of not fighting Manny on his legacy, I shared my opinion in another thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by myself

I really doubt this will have the impact on his legacy that you guys think it will. If Mayweather retires undefeated the argument will always be that he never lost, and if Manny loses any more fights the "tarnish" from not fighting Pac will be even less. You can already see it happening, after JMM who is a future HOFer and P4P great ko'd Manny, a lot of the flak that Mayweather was getting for "ducking" Pac dissipated. Mind you that's after JMM a GREAT fighter ko'd Pac. If Pac loses to anyone lesser than JMM I imagine the effect would even be greater.

A lot of people said SRL would have an asterisk next to the Hagler fight because of how he fought him. That didn't turn out to be true. Decades later I watch HBO classics and no mention of an asterisk, just a win.

Mayweather has the skills to transcend 1 fight or lack thereof; suggesting that the Pac fight not happening would tarnish his legacy is like suggesting that one loss would tarnish his legacy. This is simply just not true.

That being said, I still want the fight to happen and hope it does.
                People like you give too much credit for fighting guys who didn't belong in the same ring to begin with. Namely, Marquez, Ortiz, Guerrero and Hatton at 147. Especially when you consider he "retired" when 147 had Margarito, Cotto, Williams, etc. Those guys were all a serious threat from 07-09. History won't forget that.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by DeadLikeMe
                  It will have a slight impact, minimal compared to 09/10 because of KTFO6 and Floyd's subsequent schooling of Canelo. To the casuals KTFO6 essentially highlighted Pac as being the inferior fighter of the two, and according to ESPN casuals Floyd is a Top 5 ATG after the Canelo win (lol).

Twelve or thirteen years ago everyone said Roy Jones Jr was a brave exciting warrior who brought the action, while Bernard Hopkins was a boring coward wrestler who was ducking a Roy rematch. We all can see how that one played out.
                  lol, no, they didn't. Roy set the blueprint for Floyd.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

His legacy will be fine. 1st ballot HOF and ATG easily.

This era will be remebered as the "Promotional war" era and those two fall into that category. If anything I think Pac legacy will be hurt cause the one time it was there and ready to go he ran from tests which i suspect will be the norm later on. But time will tell

Comment

Floyds legacy is already hurt...he avoided the big names in their prime, never challenged himself, and kept active by fighting alot of subpar opposition like guerrero, ortiz, etc

Comment

Working...
                      X