• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LoneLocust View Post
    Your reading comprehension is bad.
    Ok hall monitor, get your lunch money taken away ****en teachers pet. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      Mexican fans have taken a shine to Maidana even though he is from Argentina.

Why do you think they like him and not Rigo or Lara?
      lara is a black dude???
      lara is cuban??
      maidana is trained by Robert Gacia?
      Maidana is fighting a American?
      Maidana is fighting a American thats not latino i ethnicity??
      Maidana is fighting a black guy??

Take your pick??
      Last edited by SoulByThePound; 12-08-2013, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TwistedChimp View Post
        Good for you brother. I may be a little crazy but what's the major reason for everyone else's popularity like Russian, Philipino, or Black fighters? Is it due to their race only backing them? I think they do good either way. And the Marquez comment, almost equal number of Mexicans are a fan of Pacs. So what's Rigos excuse? Are you telling me that Mexicans can't make it big without the Mexican people backing them, but everyone else can? MK was out of line with that **** as always.
        The truth is, there are hardly any fighters you can truly call popular. The remaining 99.9% have to rely on a fanbase, or general boxing fans, for support. I don't think there are any Russian fighters that are truly popular (yet) in the U.S. The Klitschkos are Ukrainian. They're popular in Europe, but considered boring here. Filipinos? Outside of Manny, there's really no one. Even Donaire was just trying to climb the ladder, when Guille derailed him. I was at the Rigo-Nonito fight and, while there were a lot of Pinoys, they didn't make up the majority of the audience. In other words, people were there to watch other fighters, too, not just the Filipino. My opinion is that black people do not support black fighters just because they're the same race -- not anymore, anyway.

Rigo's situation has been discussed on these forums ad nauseam. He'll never be popular because his style almost guarantees he won't. Guille has no fanbase. There are less than two million Cubans in the U.S. (as opposed to thirty million Mexicans and people of Mexican decent). He's also relatively new and unknown in the pros. Those are his "excuses."

Comment

Originally posted by black_celph View Post
          lara is a black dude???
          lara is cuban??
          maidana is trained by Robert Gacia?
          Maidana is fighting a American?
          Maidana is fighting a American thats not latino i ethnicity??
          Maidana is fighting a black guy??

Take your pick??
          none of that. maidana has been popular before fighting adrien and being trained by robert garcia

its his fighting style

Gamboa would be a really popular fighter if he didnt make bad choices.

Comment

I sure didn't interpret it that way at all. Max is just recognizing the reality of the sport there. Some fighters will have built in support for them and some will be like outsiders that have to be extra special to make a significant fan base. That's just the way it is.

Comment

Ts is being sensitive. I don't like max but what he said was not racist especially since Mexican isn't even a race. I guarantee Rigondeaux would be more popular if he were Mexican. Look at DLH. He was always a technical fighter more than he ever was a brawler but he's one of the most popular to ever lace up a pair of gloves. Same with JCC.

Comment

Originally posted by BigZigga View Post
                I guarantee Rigondeaux would be more popular if he were Mexican.
                Miguel Vasquez is Mexican. Is he popular?

Comment

Miguel Vasquez is Mexican. Is he popular?
                  he's not the most popular, but there are reasons for that. For one, he has a lack of power. Rigo has pop. Vazquez also does a lot more holding and has a much uglier style. He hasn't beaten a guy considered top p4p like rigo. He has losses. He didn't have the amateur pedigree. The only reason Rigondeaux is an hbo main event fighter and he is not is the Donaire fight. Vazquez doesn't have a signature win like that. Even with all that, rigo and him are on almost the same level in terms of popularity. HBO doesn't even want to put Rigondeaux fights on. If it were Vazquez who beat Donaire, I guarantee he would get much more of a boost than Rigondeaux did. It almost seems like the Donaire fight hurt Guillermo's reputation despite him dominating.

Comment

Originally posted by TwistedChimp View Post
                    Ok hall monitor, get your lunch money taken away ****en teachers pet. Lol

Comment

Mexican fans have taken a shine to Maidana even though he is from Argentina.

Why do you think they like him and not Rigo or Lara?
                      For the same reason they haven't taken a shine to Miguel Vasquez.

Originally posted by ramses07 View Post
                      JMM wasnt a popular fighter with mexicans until he got older and started to get hit more, and obviously pac helped.
                      ^
                      Mexican fans like fighters who come to fight.
                      Last edited by Weebler I; 12-09-2013, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X