Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Froch: Groves has blown his chance

http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/261147.html

Froch: Groves has blown his chance

Carl Froch has told Boxing News he is unlikely to grant George Groves a rematch after insisting the 25-year-old "blew his chance", and is instead looking to gain revenge against Andre Ward.

Referee Howard Foster controversially gave Froch a ninth-round stoppage win over Groves in their WBA and IBF super-middleweight world title fight in Manchester on Saturday.

Carl Froch's controversial world title fight with George Groves showed why boxing is a brutal business. But it is a business where the good, the bad and the ugly have to find a way to exist.

Groves has called on Froch to accept a rematch, insisting he has no other choice for the sake of his credibility. Mutual promoter Eddie Hearn has even touted Wembley Stadium as a potential venue, with a June or July date mooted.

In the aftermath of the fight Froch appeared to be willing to take on Groves again, but seems to have reversed his standpoint with an eye on taking out Ward, the only man to have beaten him.

Froch told Boxing News : "I don't think I need to fight George Groves again to prove anything because he [was an] unbeaten, young, hungry fighter, the best in Britain other than me, but I'm world champion and I've given him his chance - a chance I wasn't given to fight the best when I was at his stage in my career. He's had his chance and unfortunately he blew it."

When asked who he would fight if he could pick anyone, Froch stated Ward would be "ideal", and admitted avenging his loss to the American was his motivation. "It's fair for Ward to come over here. In my 34-fight career, there's only one man I haven't beaten - Andre Ward.

"[A rematch with Groves] doesn't do anything for my personal goals. George Groves was on my hitlist and guess what? On my record it says Froch v Groves - Froch TKO round 9, that's what it says and that's a very satisfying result on my record for the history books. They're the facts. It's a bitter pill for George Groves to swallow. I took the victory from him by being the warrior and the strong ironman that I am."

Lost all respect for the guy now, he cried for ward to rematch him and even cried for a kessler rematch when he was soundly beaten by them both the first time.

I think someone is running scared.

Comment

Then ward shouldnt fight froch at all by his logic

Comment

Lost a fan both inside and outside the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by kurt0411 View Post
          Then ward shouldnt fight froch at all by his logic
          Exactly, Ward soundly beat him clearly. He deserves a rematch with Andre less than George does against Froch.

Kessler gave you a rematch in a close fight, be a man and does the same thing.

This is why I don't like nor respect Froch too much, because he gets off with close fortunate wins, manipulates the reality to his favour, and isn't a man of his word.

In the post fight rematch, press conference, he offered in front of George and everyone, a rematch. Subsequent interviews said of course George can have his rematch.

Then within days he's going against his word and saying no and the opposite. That's a gutless, shameless man.

Comment

The way Groves has been crying through the media/social media all week, I don't blame Froch for telling Groves to stick his rematch up his arse.

Comment

If Froch wants to say Groves blew his chance and wont grant him rematch, I'm actually fine with that. Even if the consensus he owes him one and got the W by the skin of his teeth (and favorable refereeing). Groves has him shook, it's understood. We saw him get laid out by the right hand in the first round and clearly outboxed for most of the rest of the fight.

Thinking he's worthy of an Andre Ward rematch is another thing. Ward beat him soundly with one arm. It's even worse Froch wants Ward to go to the UK to fight him as well. He's delusional for even thinking he has some sort of leverage to demand that. Froch should actually apologize to the boxing public for his idiocy.

Comment

Story is old.

Froch will rematch him, let's not pretend otherwise.

Comment

Lost all respect for him, I will not buy any of his ppv's again.

This guy loves calling himself a warrior but didn't live up to the name.

Comment

Hilarious!

I hope he says he already "bashed up" Groves so he doesn't need to rematch him again.

How does your own medicine taste, Ugly Kid?

Comment

Working...
                    X