Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sugar Ray Leonard nominates Floyd to SI for Sportsman of the Year

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why is leonard encouraging this fraud known as floyd jr? you don't get awards for ducking unless its the ducking award which floyd has won the last 10 years.

Comment

I loathe Leonard but I can see where he is coming from. Yes, Floyd in the past has done numerous things that would disqualify him as a "sportsman" of the year. But in 2013 its been completely different.

This year he has acted far more calm and rational. He gave a great performance vs Ghost. Has given fans the fight they wanted in Canelo (yes it was at 152) and he has proven beyond a doubt that boxing isn't dead by headlining fights that sold 3 milllion ppv's.

I'd vote for him.

Comment

Originally posted by fvanesbeck View Post
        What does him being highest paid have to do with Sportsman of the Year?
        It's good to see a boxer beat the system for once. People might not like it but I'd rather a boxer retire with some money in the bank and a good career behind them

I just read about Rocky Lockridge living on the streets, and it needs to stop. So I applaud Floyd for doing what he's done.

Comment

Originally posted by fvanesbeck View Post
          People expected him to take the fight. He looked great against Canelo but it wasn't that big a surprise that he dominated. also, he demanded a catchweight after previously berating pacquaio for doing the same thing.

the award is meant for "the athlete or team whose performance that year most embodies the spirit of sportsmanship and achievement." floyd is amazingly talented but i don't think he really ticks the boxes when it comes to sportsmanship. and as far as achievement goes, i wouldn't put either of his wins this year in the top 5 wins of his career nor would i rank them as the most impressive boxing performances of the year.

he's economically good for the sport but that has nothing to do with the award in question.
          No everyone EVERYONE accused him of ducking him when they tried to get him to sign that contract to have him on the undercard. I told people it was NO WAY that Floyd was going to sign a contract to fight TWO people at the same time. Thats a disrespectful jinx to the sport, and you have to focus on who's in front of you. Yet everyone acted like he was ducking. Then I told people Canelo was too big for Floyd. So if Floyd fought him, it would be a bonus fight. Floyd cant even make 154, he came in the ring and WALKED CANELO DOWN. Stood flatfooted, right in front of him. That fight was like the JMM fight and the Ortiz fight combined. What Floyd did was legendary. It looked like a circuis fight to see a man THAT freaking little standing like that in front of him. I expeted Floyd to run and potshot. I aint expect him to come in the ring that damn fast, and just take him apart using wicked combinations, defense, and countering.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
            why is leonard encouraging this fraud known as floyd jr? you don't get awards for ducking unless its the ducking award which floyd has won the last 10 years.
            Every fighter in history has ducked, and SRL was a bigger cherrypicker in boxing history. He doesnt care about all this ducking jive.

Comment

Lebron James

Comment

I was surprised Sugar Ray picked him. He doesn't always seem to be a fan of Mayweather.

Comment

What's SRL up to these days?

Comment

Originally posted by MurkaMan View Post
                    No everyone EVERYONE accused him of ducking him when they tried to get him to sign that contract to have him on the undercard. I told people it was NO WAY that Floyd was going to sign a contract to fight TWO people at the same time. Thats a disrespectful jinx to the sport, and you have to focus on who's in front of you. Yet everyone acted like he was ducking. Then I told people Canelo was too big for Floyd. So if Floyd fought him, it would be a bonus fight. Floyd cant even make 154, he came in the ring and WALKED CANELO DOWN. Stood flatfooted, right in front of him. That fight was like the JMM fight and the Ortiz fight combined. What Floyd did was legendary. It looked like a circuis fight to see a man THAT freaking little standing like that in front of him. I expeted Floyd to run and potshot. I aint expect him to come in the ring that damn fast, and just take him apart using wicked combinations, defense, and countering.
                    what fcking fight did you watch? what combinations? All he did was potshot for 12 rounds, he didn't stand toe to toe but for a few instances and even then he didn't engage.

he beat Canelo convincingly (kinda, catchweights don't count says Floyd) but he didn't BEAT UP Canelo, there was nothing "legendary" about the performance. Let's not rewrite history.

Comment

Originally posted by Warrios View Post
                      what fcking fight did you watch? what combinations? All he did was potshot for 12 rounds, he didn't stand toe to toe but for a few instances and even then he didn't engage.

he beat Canelo convincingly (kinda, catchweights don't count says Floyd) but he didn't BEAT UP Canelo, there was nothing "legendary" about the performance. Let's not rewrite history.
                      Then why are YOU trying to rewrite history? Its okay for you to dislike Floyd but its not okay to discredit what he did against that big ass kid. Floyd trained hard and he was ONLY obligated to win the fight. He didnt do that. He went OUT OF HIS WAY to walk down Canelo. He started stalking Canelo from the opening round. The entire fight he was in front of him until the last 30 seconds of the 12th round. The commentators made that comment so people like you wouldnt be able to discredit him. They said, "He's moving now, but he spent the majority of this fight in the pocket" Floyd WALKED Canelo down. I think I said this prior, but that fight was a combination of the Ortiz fight and the Marquez fight. And when Floyd fought off the backfoot, he rarely bounced on his feet. He calmly walked flatfooted as Canelo came forward, but Floyd stayed close to let Canelo engage and create countering oppurtunities. Floyd's speed has increased and he DID beat up Canelo. Canelo was pressed up against the ropes almost getting BULLIED by the smaller itty bitty Mayweather, so stop making up stories!!
                      Last edited by MurkaMan; 11-21-2013, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X