No announcement yet.

Ward vs Kovalev

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by intoccabile View Post
    Kovalev has to beat TBR first. TBR is every bit as skilled as Ward, probably more so. He lacks the intangibles though. Ward is a dog, he'll get dirty and he'll fight with you if needs be. And he does it up close, whereas TBR dances around.. and TBR's lights can go out easily.

None the less, it's still a pretty significant task infront of Kovalev and the upset is VERY possible.
    i agree with you. he lacks clamp arms and the shoulder jump. aka intangibles.

Comment

I'll make bank on that bout. Ward stifles Kovalev, frustrates him and beats on him for a WIDEEEEEEEEE UD. Easy work

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenGloveLove View Post
        Ward is avoiding 175 like Hagler avoided it. In other words he's not. He's perfect where he's at and is the dominant champion at his best weight. He has no obligation to give up his throne for a shot at a titlist (not even the top dog) of another division who isn't even a star level name as it stands. Let's be honest. Some people are just desperate to see Ward lose and they are clutching to the hope of a bigger guy to do it. I'm not saying the TS, but they know who they are. Ward will move up if and when he wants to. Until then his haters can suffer.
        ESPN p4p:

1. Floyd (moved up in weight)
        2. Ward
        3. Bradley (moved up in weight)
        4. JMM (moved up in weight)
        5. Pac (moved up in weight)
        6. Martinez (moved up in weight)
        7. Rigo
        8. Wlad
        9. Donaire moved up in weight

There is a trend involving the top guys

Comment

Originally posted by RyunosukeRonin View Post
          Kovalev is a serious threat to Ward , he has the ability to throw short compact fight changing shots

Not comparing fighters bcse there's no comparison to Ward in terms of opponents faced but the top fighters have their strengths watch the Thompson fight the right hand he landed was brutal he throw it in close w/speed and generated KO power that punch would trouble anyone, Campillo fight the first KD was caused by a similar short power shot.
          Yep. That's what's going to be funny. Ward is going to have an "oh ****" moment if he thinks he safe on the inside with Kovalev.

Comment

I'm not sold on kovalev yet but would love to see this one

Comment

If kovalev can cut off the ring and has good stamina then he has a punchers chance and nothing more

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
                I think you need hand speed and timing to beat Ward. Out of all the light heavyweights, I think Jean Pascal would give Ward the most trouble. The slower fighters like Kovalev just won't do despite the power.
                You know what you're talking about.

Kovalev still has decent speed and workrate though. What would hurt him against Ward is he commits to every shot and stands straight up, he'd get busted pretty bad with the jab. Pascal is less predictable and throws punches from weird ass angles.

Originally posted by Travdog View Post
                Kovalev better be ready for sillahk
                I love Ismayl but I don't see this fight ending well for him.
                Last edited by Light_Speed; 11-17-2013, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
                  You know what you're talking about.

Kovalev still has decent speed and workrate though. What would hurt him against Ward is he commits to every shot and stands straight up, he'd get busted pretty bad with the jab. Pascal is less predictable and throws punches from weird ass angles.

I love Ismayl but I don't see this fight ending well for him.
                  Kovalev doesn't commit to every shot. He throws a lot of punches that just touch you by flicking his hands out which are hard to avoid. The fact that even those shots have some power on them is due to technique.

Comment

Originally posted by Simurgh View Post
                    forget about ggg. how about kovalev-ward at 175!?
                    Ward dominates him and possibly even stops him

Comment

Originally posted by -Ronin- View Post
                      Ward dominates him and possibly even stops him
                      Ward isn't stopping anybody that isn't weight drained.

Comment

Working...
                      X