Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marquez overrated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank god, i wanted to make a similar thread but didn't. JMM is not an atg WW. He's a borderline good ww. He has had pacs number and learned to fight him, otherwise what has he done at higher weights? JMM is a good boxer maybe great, he's not an ATG fighter although maybe ATG mexican. Pac would win most. Bradley beat him. Mayweather demolished him...I could see a few more beating him at 147...is he good? Yes. Great? Maybe. ATG overall? Probably not...he gets overrated on the pac win..... he resume isn't super deep. He gets a bit too much credit imo, but it's to each individual to decide not just me, so maybe I'm wrong.

Comment

What the hell. You cant discredit him if you dont know how good his lower class wins were. How the hell can you call a fighter great then say hes overrated? If hes great hes great and perfectly rated. Doesnt make sense.

You forgot why he fought Pac in the first place because he was a top guy in the lower weight classes. Obviously welterweight isnt his prime divison but the fact he lost a close fight with Bradley and schooled Pac the 3rd time before KTFO the next time AT 38-40 years old is nothing short of amazing.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Marquez should be ranked a few spots above Ken Norton on those top 100 lists those guys create

Comment

Originally posted by $Natedatpkid$ View Post
          What the hell. You cant discredit him if you dont know how good his lower class wins were. How the hell can you call a fighter great then say hes overrated? If hes great hes great and perfectly rated. Doesnt make sense.

You forgot why he fought Pac in the first place because he was a top guy in the lower weight classes. Obviously welterweight isnt his prime divison but the fact he lost a close fight with Bradley and schooled Pac the 3rd time before KTFO the next time AT 38-40 years old is nothing short of amazing.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
          I didn't see Bradley as all that close. It was a clear Bradley win. Mayweather was a white wash. Pac was closer but that's more knowing the fighter. Like I said before he's not at all a great WW anyone making that case in borderline insane. He's a mexican ATG and maybe but not def...an overall ATG. It's to discussion. This thread holds weight, some people claiming marquez is a certified ATG without a doubt, maybe are outside their bounds.

Comment

When you look at rankings on all time lists he isn't overrated but to a lot of posters here he is greatly overrated.

Comment

No. He is not overrated. He just doesn't take his losses well. Whines a lot but definitely not overrated.

Comment

Juan Manuel is the best counter puncher of this era. The has proven his staying power by staying relevant when his mexican atg contemporaries has long retired. He's the hopkins of mexico and l won't be surprises if he continues showing his greatness til he reach his 50's. A rare boxing specimen who we must enjoy watching while still around.

Comment

Originally posted by kadyo View Post
                  Juan Manuel is the best counter puncher of this era. The has proven his staying power by staying relevant when his mexican atg contemporaries has long retired. He's the hopkins of mexico and l won't be surprises if he continues showing his greatness til he reach his 50's. A rare boxing specimen who we must enjoy watching while still around.
                  I agree. :qqq:

The only reason people are saying YES is because of his constant whining about his losses. Which i have to admit is a little, much. JMM is a great fighter and warrior despite that nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
                    I agree. :qqq:

The only reason people are saying YES is because of his constant whining about his losses. Which i have to admit is a little, much. JMM is a great fighter and warrior despite that nonsense.
                    l think it's a psychological defense mechanism which we must understand. lt's a pride thing that carried him to where he is now. Without it, jmm wouldn't be what he is now, surpassing barrera and morales.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimgash View Post
                      Thank god, i wanted to make a similar thread but didn't. JMM is not an atg WW. He's a borderline good ww. He has had pacs number and learned to fight him, otherwise what has he done at higher weights? JMM is a good boxer maybe great, he's not an ATG fighter although maybe ATG mexican. Pac would win most. Bradley beat him. Mayweather demolished him...I could see a few more beating him at 147...is he good? Yes. Great? Maybe. ATG overall? Probably not...he gets overrated on the pac win..... he resume isn't super deep. He gets a bit too much credit imo, but it's to each individual to decide not just me, so maybe I'm wrong.
                      Very good post, I think Marquez has been on the cusp of being a P4P top 10 for much of the last 7-8 years, he was probably at his highest following the Pacquiao win (I actually had him at 10). But in terms of his career, minusing the Pacquiao fights, he has not done a great deal. He fought probably the worst version of Barrera of nay of his rivals.

He has looked mediocre when fighting some of the best fighters around, being thoroughly outboxed by the likes of John and Bardley. He has struggled against Katsidis and Diaz in the best, neither of whom are world class by any stretch of the imagination.

It's the fights with Pacquiao, all of which have been very close that have garnered him so much praise and rightfully so. Is he a true great, to be ranked alongside the likes of Morales and Barrera? No. He is a very good counterpuncher with the heart of a champion? Most definitely.

Comment

Working...
                      X