Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

who deserves to be 2013 fighter of the year? why?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kovalev. Though I'd go with Stevenson 'bout equal right now. Floyd beat 2 guys he shoulda, unspectacularly. Neither of his opponents of this year were even close in ability to the best he's faced in the past.

DSG has a better claim but even then Zab gave him far more of a struggle than he shoulda. The Matthysse win was impressive, (though slightly marred by the injury), but 2 fights in a year ain't as good as 4 for me.

Both Kovalev and Stevens have had breakout years, will have had 4 fights (and likely 4 KOs) each by the end of the year and have already beaten 2 top tens each (arguably 3 for Kovalev).

Both have become titlists - Stevenson has taken the lineal. I only consider Kovalev slightly above, cos all three of Stevensons opponents were coming off losses, but Nov 30th could easily change my opinion.

4 KOs (if that's how it plays out) 'gainst some of the best in their division beats 2 UDs (and FMJ - 'Nelo shoulda been a UD) even against the guys who were (on paper) top contenders at 154 and 140.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
      My vote goes to Floyd Mayweather. He has won the biggest fight if the year and holds two lineal titles at the same time. Adonis Stevenson deserves a mention as well as Garcia
      Biggest fight of the year? Perfect example of how hype and marketing plays a huge role in boxing. Sure it was the biggest fight of the year, hype, money and interest wise but Canelo is a hype job! Dude had one, one victory against a top fighter, in his whole career, and it just so happens to be th fight right before the "fight of the year" with Floyd.

Seriously Canelo fought 40 TGI Fridays servers and dish washers and got handed a free title, fought one good fighter and then got Floyd.

Rigo, Bradley and Garcia are ALL more deserving. Guerrero is OK, but Canelo is the definition of a hype job. I see absolutely no way how Floyd wins, unless I'm missing something about Canelos career?

Canelo got handed a free belt by the WBC, Rigo and Adonis EARNED their belts.

Inb4 hate and negs
      Last edited by King_; 10-24-2013, 07:20 PM.

Comment

I go with Bradley. Had fight of the year to me with Ruslan and beat Marquez convincingly (to me). He should be p4p #2 and this is from a person that is not a fan of his style, but i do appreciate his attitude and will.

Comment

If he disposes of Agbeko handily Rigo has the 2 best wins hands down .

Comment

garcia he proved the world wrong

Comment

tim bradley will get it

Comment

My vote goes to Golovkin assuming he beats Stevens down it will be his 4th victory over a legitimate opponent since January.

Rigondeaux has one victory over Donaire, and while Mayweather's win over Canelo was impressive, nobody in their right mind thought that Guerrero was going to do **** but get schooled.

You guys place way too much emphasis on names. I'll take a fighter who fights 3-4 times a year against top 10 opponents over some f*g who fights once or twice a year against guys he's expected to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by ßringer View Post
                  My vote goes to Golovkin assuming he beats Stevens down it will be his 4th victory over a legitimate opponent since January.

Rigondeaux has one victory over Donaire, and while Mayweather's win over Canelo was impressive, nobody in their right mind thought that Guerrero was going to do **** but get schooled.

You guys place way too much emphasis on names. I'll take a fighter who fights 3-4 times a year against top 10 opponents over some f*g who fights once or twice a year against guys he's expected to beat.
                  I like this criteria but Rigo and Bradley both beat P4P fighters even though they didn't fight as often as Golovkin, but Floyd winning would be criminal. Neither Canelo nor Guerrero were or are P4P and it's only 2 fights/wins. And lets be honest, who thought Canelo was going to win either? He wasn't "the one" he was just pure hype and marketing. IMO. Decent fighter, but he got gifted a belt and had literally one legitimate win before getting his shot with Floyd.

it's one thing to be in the discussion and have only 2 fights/wins but against P4P caliber fighters. it's another two only have two wins, but against Canelo and Guerrero...
                  Last edited by King_; 10-24-2013, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DannYankee09 View Post
                    If he disposes of Agbeko handily Rigo has the 2 best wins hands down .
                    Bradey's two wins are better. Marquez was #2 pound-for-pound and Provodnikov had actually fought in the 12 months before Bradley fought him.

With that said I think Bradley, Garcia, Rigo, Stevenson are my Fighter of the Year picks in that order.

Comment

The options listed all have 1 very good win.

Mayweather over Canelo
                      Stevenson over Dawson (IMO 1 punch KO is not as impressive as 12 round domination)
                      Danny Garcia over Matthysse (close but clear win)

My vote goes to Guillermo Rigondeanux for beating Nonito Donaire who is/was p4p ranked higher than Canelo, Dawson, Matthysse. Rigondeaux 1 big win is better than anyone on the list.

EDIT**** completely forgot about Bradley. It should go to Bradley
                      Last edited by Bushidō; 10-24-2013, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X