Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stevens: "Why not dethrone the man everyone idolizes like a God?"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"My training has never been based on one-punch knockout power. That's just something that I have, naturally. I've worked on a little more speed, and a little more agility. I'm already fast, but I'm trying to be faster," said Stevens.

"I'm just working on our game plan, pressuring back, and being stronger than him. He doesn't like pressure, as we've seen from the tapes that we've seen, and he does get hit. I just need to coordinate my A-game and do what I do best and stay focused."
    Someone's been studying...

If you try to go in there thinking you're going to outbox GGG on the outside without Sergio's speed, stamina, and durability, you're going to get what Macklin got. If he's strong and skilled enough to apply intelligent pressure for 12 rounds against Golovkin, he's going to give himself the best shot he can at an upset. If he can't, we'll be seeing a late KO.

He lost decisively to Jesse Brinkley (who's a level(s) below Golovkin) so we'll see if he can actually implement the game plan.

Comment

Originally posted by firstborn View Post
      I agree, GGG has the skills to be a dominant champ but developing a fan friendly personality will help him land big money fights.

Skills can olny get you so far, see the outcome of the Ward vs Froch fight for a perfect example. Ward has more skill as demonstrated in their fight, yet Froch's popularity has grown because of his personality while Ward is ignored because he doesn't appeal to the masses.

GGG should be thanking Stevens, this fight wasn't interesting until Stevens began to run his mouth....
      I absolutely agree and GGG certainly does have a fan friendly style IMO. We all knew about his boxing skills and counter punching abilities before he was with Abel but Abel himself said the exact same thing- he wanted to develop a style that the American public will like and the style to make Golovkin a star.

All Golovkin has to do is exactly what he has been, be willing to fight everyone, train hard and get in the ring- his popularity and "star power" will rise IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
        Its guys like this that make for exciting fights!!!!! He'll be going to sleep though.
        TBH this^. For all that Mack was a far more highly rated fighter that Curtis (and would likely beat him) the GGG - Macklin fight lacked excitement because it was glaringly obvious that Macklin brought nothing that could trouble GGG.

At the very least Stevens has some pop and a mean left hook. I am as sure as I can be that he will lose, but Golovkin cannot afford to lose concentration, 'cos Stevens will be coming to fight, and just one -or two of the hooks landed early could change the tone of the fight.

What we will see in Nov tho, is a demonstration of just how hard Gena makes it for his foes to land clean. And after Curtis has felt what Golovkin brings, I think he'll face the same choice as everyone else we gets in the ring with GGG: get on your bike, and get hurt slow or try and trade and get stopped fast - for Stevens the latter option at least gives him a (small) chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Ducketts View Post
          Knock his ass out Stevens. If you are a thinking mans fighter, you'll forget about his power and pick your spots and use defense. Take a page out of Garcias book.
          Difference here is Golovkin is more skilled than Stevens

Comment

Anyone really think stevens can take GGG's power ?
            I doubt it

Comment

I think Curtis will suprise everyone and come out boxing Golovkin...

Curtis has some pop but I think he'd be a complete fool to just get into a firefight with Golovkin...I don't think his handlers would let him do that to himself...

Comment

Originally posted by Jloro View Post
                What if Stevens actually wins lol
                He could land his lucky punch and win, but in the longer run I don't think it matters, Golovkin would come back.

Comment

I wish him well in this fight

Comment

Working...
                  X