• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iseah100 View Post
    Abner Mares has a suspect chin?

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
    Should I have just said no chin?

Comment

I don't think the size of the head matters, but the neck does. Strong neck muscles prevent the head from rotating too far after a big shot.

Comment

Antonio Tarver, small head but never been knocked out in any fight.

Comment

Originally posted by KeepItObjective View Post
          Usually the smaller something is, the weaker it is, many think that the KO of a fighter is due to the speed of the head rotating after a punch, well a larger head=heavier, stronger, more force needed to inflict the same amount of damage.
          You need to take neck strength into account, and punch resistance is actually more complex than that, it also has to do with the nervous system.

Look at the granite chinned guys... Chavez Jr (huge head), Danny Garcia big ass head, Mayweather..big head for his body size, Mosley...big ass head, Margarito, Pacquiao (before the Marquez KO shown a great chin) Froch, huge ass heads....

Meanwhile the chinny or suspect chin fighters usually have peanut heads.... Amir Khan...peanut head, Abner Maris suspect chin....peanut head. Frank Bruno = peanut head, David Price = peanut head. It's obvious man, the correlation is clear.
          Margarito's head is not that big, Cotto has a bigger head and a weaker chin. Bruno's head was bigger than Tyson's, guess who got KO'd?

And what about body punch resistance?

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
            You need to take neck strength into account, and punch resistance is actually more complex than that, it also has to do with the nervous system.

Margarito's head is not that big, Cotto has a bigger head and a weaker chin. Bruno's head was bigger than Tyson's, guess who got KO'd?

And what about body punch resistance?
            Tysons head was way bigger than Bruno's And I'm saying it's a correlation and there will be fighters who don't fit the rule but I think the correlation is pretty clear

Comment

Ok maybe not all fighters, and there are probably many fighters who have a small head but good chin, and correlation doesn't always equal causation I know, but the correlation is there for all to see.

Usually the smaller something is, the weaker it is, many think that the KO of a fighter is due to the speed of the head rotating after a punch, well a larger head=heavier, stronger, more force needed to inflict the same amount of damage.

Look at the granite chinned guys... Chavez Jr (huge head), Danny Garcia big ass head, Mayweather..big head for his body size, Mosley...big ass head, Margarito, Pacquiao (before the Marquez KO shown a great chin) Froch, huge ass heads....

Meanwhile the chinny or suspect chin fighters usually have peanut heads.... Amir Khan...peanut head, Abner Maris suspect chin....peanut head. Frank Bruno = peanut head, David Price = peanut head. It's obvious man, the correlation is clear.
              Brunos chin wasn't that terrible he just froze up a lot when he got caught Amir Khan is kinda the same he can eat some hefty shots but his powers of recovery are almost none existent, Mares was put down by a perfect left hook and again never recovered. David price gets put down more due to balance and shots round the ear cos he is so big and lumbering and still willing to over engage and not fight on the outside.

That's another correlation for these guys that get KOd easily they over commit and get caught blind.

Froch gets shook up but he has a warriors heart and fights through the pain and has awesome powers of recovery. Mayweather's chin doesn't get tested regularly enough to say he has a great chin when he has been touched he shows great powers of recovery and ability to adjust and not get hit with the same shot. Pacquiao was knocked out brutally early in his career and TKO'd also early in his career so we cant really say Manny has a great chin either.

The guys you mention as small headed all fight with there chin up over commit and get involved in tear ups when it doesn't suit them that's why they get KO'd

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting TalkTV View Post
                Brunos chin wasn't that terrible he just froze up a lot when he got caught Amir Khan is kinda the same he can eat some hefty shots but his powers of recovery are almost none existent, Mares was put down by a perfect left hook and again never recovered. David price gets put down more due to balance and shots round the ear cos he is so big and lumbering and still willing to over engage and not fight on the outside.

That's another correlation for these guys that get KOd easily they over commit and get caught blind.

Froch gets shook up but he has a warriors heart and fights through the pain and has awesome powers of recovery. Mayweather's chin doesn't get tested regularly enough to say he has a great chin when he has been touched he shows great powers of recovery and ability to adjust and not get hit with the same shot. Pacquiao was knocked out brutally early in his career and TKO'd also early in his career so we cant really say Manny has a great chin either.

The guys you mention as small headed all fight with there chin up over commit and get involved in tear ups when it doesn't suit them that's why they get KO'd
                Good points, and I was of your opinion regarding Khan but sometimes you have to accept that some fighters (Angel Garcia voice) ''ain't got no chin'' Khan/Price ain't got no chin man, look at the Berto Karrass fight, or Duran sugar ray leonard and tell me if Khan would have taken the shots either of those guys took. It's simple, yes they get hit with dumbass shots off balance, but their punch resistance isn't the same as other fighters.

Comment

Surprised that Hagler hasn't been mentioned yet. X-rays revealed that he had an abnormally large skull.

Comment

In what World is Frank Bruno's head classed as small?.

Completely ******ed.

Comment

Tysons head was way bigger than Bruno's
                      It's debatable, Tyson's head was shorter and rounder while Bruno's head was longer and thinner.

And I'm saying it's a correlation and there will be fighters who don't fit the rule but I think the correlation is pretty clear
                      You could be right, I suspect there's some truth to that, but you would have to find a lot more examples in order to be credible.

Originally posted by Fighting TalkTV View Post
                      Pacquiao was knocked out brutally early in his career and TKO'd also early in his career so we cant really say Manny has a great chin either.
                      And dropped by a jab : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0c8-...tu.be&t=13m33s

Comment

Working...
                      X