No announcement yet.

Who wins: Evander Holyfield Vs Rocky Marciano

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Feroz View Post

I think do well even after 40 years later, agree to disagree.

By the way I am stating an opinion, not stating points as if they were facts here. So no I am not lying.
    How about this match same question

Comment

• Originally posted by Ascended View Post

They don't fight from range much; they leave themselves open a lot. A lot of times, they will just throw themselves into the body and not protect themselves. They use mostly counters when up close; the lateral movement is very basic; they don't seem to be able to punch from range while doing it smoothly; they have to stop then punch most of the time; and their feet are mostly tiptoeing.​ And a lot of times they wait for the person to hit them, standing right in front of their opponent

Do you not see these things in this match
      Will see what you mean later after watching the fight (with some other samples). Though you might have a point when it comes to boxing fundamentals having been improving over time.

A complete boxer like Sugar Ray Leonard might likely have been overwhelming for Sugar Ray Robinson (whose regarded the greatest boxer of that era) if they had fought based on this one clip.
      Last edited by Feroz; 03-27-2024, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Will see what you mean later after watching the fight (with some other samples). Though you might have a point when it comes to boxing fundamentals having been improving over time.

Sugar Ray Leonard might likely have been overwhelming for Sugar Ray Robinson if they had fought based on this clip.
        I don't make any points only describe what's on video, Leonard fought in a way more advanced era which I showed a match with no names you for some odd reason said they look average when they were way more advanced than the whole 30s-50s

Comment

I don't make any points only describe what's on video, Leonard fought in a way more advanced era which I showed a match with no names you for some odd reason said they look average when they were way more advanced than the whole 30s-50s
          I mean they look average for today's standards, 40 years onto their future. Didn't say how it looked compared to the average fighter from the 30s-50s.

Comment

Keep trolling crazy idiot can't alter video/delete videos, you can at least try, can't you? That's what you thought words could do against videos, didn't you?

Go ahead and waste more words that mean nothing to me and that can't alter video
            They're committing you at any moment. Take your meds, please.

Comment

Not really familiar with fighters from 20-50s, so of course I might have recency bias (was born in the late 90s), I don't think professional boxing has really changed that dramatically when it comes to skill when watching old school fights.

There have been improvements in weight cutting where fighters like Haney can cut down to lightweight and physical training that allows fighters to be closest consistently at their peak in fight night.

However fighters aren't machines, they can only push their physical limits to an extent. Today's fighters wouldn't be that much more physically athletic compared to old school fighters of the same size. It depends on the individual.

That said, it's difficult to imagine a fighter who be considered a light heavyweight in today's standards fighting a full blown roided giant with a granite chin that took on and won against the likes of Foreman, Tyson, Holmes, Riddick Bowe and etc. Just a tad difficult to imagine.

Even today's heavyweight despite that most aren't that skilled, are giants compared to the 80s, often 6'5 up to 6'7 (if not taller) feet tall. Size discrepancy just seems too big, if the fight is between two we'll proven fighters.

Carlos Monzon was considered quite big for a Middleweight, he is average in today's standards (though he has a long reach). Napoles is closer to a light welterweight.
              Napoles was always a LWW, he had to move up in weight because another ducker, not like ginger, but a ducker nonetheless, ortiz. He couldn't find fighters in his weight.

Comment

I mean they look average for today's standards, 40 years onto their future. Didn't say how it looked compared to the average fighter from the 30s-50s.

They don't fight from range much; they leave themselves open a lot. A lot of times, they will just throw themselves into the body and not protect themselves. They use mostly counters when up close; the lateral movement is very basic; they don't seem to be able to punch from range while doing it smoothly; they have to stop then punch most of the time; and their feet are mostly tiptoeing.​ And a lot of times they wait for the person to hit them, standing right in front of their opponent

Do you not see these things in this match​

Comment

• Originally posted by garfios View Post

Napoles was always a LWW, he had to move up in weight because another ducker, not like ginger, but a ducker nonetheless, ortiz. He couldn't find fighters in his weight.
                  Ah I see, well that's a shame he couldn't fight Carlos Ortiz. Very impressive run at WW nonetheless, specially considering he was punching above his weight.

Specially when he fought Monzon at Middleweight.

Comment

• Shouldn't there be a third option in the poll?
                    • Evan Fields​

Comment

• Give Rocky the same steroids as Evander and he’s beating Evander brutally.

Take Evander off the roids and he’s not even competitive.

so you can’t really compare the 2.

Comment

Working...
                      X