Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Joe Louis held in such high regard?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by New England View Post
    yes. he wrecked him. he left him in a heap. he could hardly get back to his corner. wladimir has an awful chin for a great HW. awful.

i've seen that fight plenty of times, dude. wladimir was very aggressive and much closer to brewster than is the case in his contemporary fights. he caught a huge left hook that wrecked him. he could hardly get up at the end of the round before byrd waved it off. you don't have to win every second of every round to "wreck somebody. i'm not interested in arguing over semantics regardless. the point remains that he was still knocked out by a guy who isn't much bigger at all than joe louis.

just look at how loose brewster's skin is in that fight. as i've outlined, brewster and louis have identical dimensions. if brewster were in louis type shape he would weigh less than 225 lbs.

even if brewster couldn't possibly wiegh less than 220 lbs, is that last 10-15 lbs really enough to say that he's got ability to fight larger guys when louis cannot? he knocked wladimir out, and is hardly any bigger than louis.
    Brewster landed almost nothing of consequence. He simply was still on his feet when Wladimir completely gassed out. It had absolutely nothing to do with WK being hurt. Nothing.

Believe what you like but I can gaurantee I've seen the fight more times and more recently that you have and landed punches didn't end that fight.
    Last edited by Boxing Goat; 09-11-2013, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Joe Louis invented modern day boxing and there hasn't been a better person at it since. You like boxing you say? Then you like Joe Louis. It's that simple. The guy is a textbook of knowledge transferred onto a silver screen. Nobody had that ability to make things look exactly how you want them to damn near every time he was out in the ring. We're not talking mimicking someone in practice. HE WAS BOXING.

Comment

Originally posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
        Joe Louis invented modern day boxing and there hasn't been a better person at it since. You like boxing you say? Then you like Joe Louis. It's that simple. The guy is a textbook of knowledge transferred onto a silver screen. Nobody had that ability to make things look exactly how you want them to damn near every time he was out in the ring. We're not talking mimicking someone in practice. HE WAS BOXING.
        And so was Dempsey. Jack was Mike Tyson before he was.
        moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Money Team. View Post
          His resume is not all that great,was know for his "bum of the month club" fought a lot of smaller non heavyweights..to be honest his resume is not to much different then Wlads yet Wlad is criticized on here.Why can we not respect modern fighters and old school fighters seem above criticism?
          Louis had natural talent and had a small amount of amateur fights. He also fought in a tough generation, much tougher than today. The Schmeling fight, no athlete in the history of earth had more pressure on them. Louis also paved the way for every young african-american fighter since.

I think Louis' record is leagues better than Vlads.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Napier View Post
            you still think Whitaker is overrated Larryx? :laugh:
            I see a lot of people rank him in their top 10-20,but somehow think Floyd and Hopkins cant be ranked there

Comment

Originally posted by Money Team. View Post
              I see a lot of people rank him in their top 10-20,but somehow think Floyd and Hopkins cant be ranked there

Comment

IMO

You have to look at the history behind this kind of characters i mean the guy was ahead of his time in terms of boxing skills, but of course those were different times.

Fighters nowadays have all different kind of resources to be complete athletes but they lack the kind of history the ol day fighters used to have. Thats why so many people are so in love with these legendary figures.

If anyone wants to get a little more familiar with Joe Louises career and history i recommend a documentary called

Joe Louis - America's Hero Betrayed

The whole thing its on youtube look it up !!

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post
                  Pretty much

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post
                    Cus D'Amato fashioned Mikes style on Dempsey. Black trunks, no socks, poncho from a towel. Even the moniker "Iron Mike."

Comment

When I started getting into boxing (late 70's - early 80's) most old timers considered him better than Ali.

Personally I have Jack Johnson at number one but Joe Louis was a class athlete. To even start this thread show ignorance.

I like Mayweather but he markets himself towards an ignorant breed of young men. They're not boxing fans. They're Floyd fans - which is ok but they should only talk about Floyd.

Same with some Pacquiao fans (less of them in the last 18 months) and Klitschko fans.

I like all the above boxers but they do attract some muppets.

Comment

Working...
                      X