Power, where does it come from...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power, where does it come from...

in your opinion?

My thoughts on this sometimes unmeasurable force within us is that you're either born with it or not. I do believe you can improve on your power whether it be low or high by increasing your speed and technique however the core force behind the punch I believe is something we'll never be able to understand or measure.

you're born with it.

Comment

memo heredia

Comment

Originally posted by StarScr33m View Post
        in your opinion?

My thoughts on this sometimes unmeasurable force within us is that you're either born with it or not. I do believe you can improve on your power whether it be low or high by increasing your speed and technique however the core force behind the punch I believe is something we'll never be able to understand or measure.
        I think it's a combination of many things, FAR too many to count.

I think correct lining of muscle fibers, muscle density, genes, confidence, thought processes, technique, balance, proper rotation of the body, foot placement, weight shifting, knuckle placement, speed, commitment to the punch, angle, bone density and many many more lol.

You should study biomechanics, it really opens your eyes to how many specifics in a movement can lead to a perfect or incorrect technique, although boxing power is still a very difficult thing to observe.
        Last edited by T18Z; 09-07-2013, 06:42 PM.

Comment

"In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power."

Just ask Beltran

Comment

Fear @ Respect

Comment

I was thinking of making a thread on my theory but here is a post on it. A lot of studies have been done on the effects of prenatal testosterone exposure and personality and physical traits. A good measure of how much testosterone you were exposed to is the ratio of length in comparison to your right index and ring finger. The longer your ring finger is in comparison to your index finger is the lower your 'digit ratio' is and the more testosterone you have been exposed to during development in the womb.

The digit ratio has been correlated with grip strength, willingness to exercise, endurance, sprinting speed, aggressiveness and free testosterone during sporting events, I believe there is probably a link between the ratio and a boxers speed and power, Pacquiao I have noticed has a really long ring finger. Elite athletes have been shown to have a longer ring to index finger ratio i.e. endurance athletes, soccer players, skiiers etc, I'm convinced you will find a correlation between this ratio and speed and power.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17420996

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20981610

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11182575

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21993037
              Last edited by KeepItObjective; 09-07-2013, 07:13 PM.

Comment

in your opinion?

Well, of course, power and force are measurable, but I get where you're coming from. Why do you get your GGGs or your Kovalevs or Matthysses, who, to look at, appear no different (and often less muscular) from their fellow boxers yet somehow produce pugilistic devastation?

Muscularity, raw physical power, seems to be of less importance than you'd imagine. I ain't heard 'bout Matthysses training regemin, but he doesn't appear to have a physique focused on power. Both GGG and Kovalev tho have specifically said they don't focus on muscle or power building in their training

Certainly speed, timing and technique are the key to it (accuracy is also vital, but necessarily dependent on the above factors), but the way in which these factors combine to make a KO punch (and puncher) remains a mystery as much as what makes a great performer in any sport.

Each of the factors can be broken down, analysed even, but the way in which the body and brain amalgamate them into a specific range of actions (punching harder) is unique to every individual, and likely to remain one of those talents which simply can't be taught beyond a certain level.

You will hear about planting feet, sitting on punches, hitting on the apex etc. but it just seems that while these skills can be taught individually to a degree, some guys just instinctively combine them into devastating punches.
                Last edited by Citizen Koba; 09-07-2013, 07:21 PM.

Comment

it comes from having good punching mechanics. its a natural talent. being able to use the kinetic chain of force.

guys who cant punch for **** are usually arm punching or not planting there feet. and u can teach those things. but haveing llong wirey arms or big heavy fists or strong legs thik legs etc. those genetic things that give u extra leverage, those cant be tought.

Comment

in your opinion?

You can improve your power by gaining strength and improving your technique and timing...but you truly have to be born with it.

If you boxed before or had someone punch your arm for fun, you can tell who is naturally heavy handed. In High School, I remember this kid that would just softly punch your arm to say whats up or squeeze your hand but that mother****a had some heavy ass hands.

Comment

Working...
                    X