Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Team Mayweather Pounds Away on Catch Weight Claims

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course Lyle Fitzsimmons wrote this. I would expect no less.

As said, if Mayweather didn't want the catchweight there wouldn't be one. If Alvarez suggested the catchweight, it was because he wasn't going to get the fight without it. The catchweight itself isn't even the problem in most fans' eyes, it's the hypocrisy of the situation that bothers us.

Comment

Compromise

what i think alot of you are also forgetting is that during the post-fight interview of the Cotto fight , Floyd said he was done with 154 because he's a welterweight and not a true junior-middleweight . then after he said going forward that he's only fighting at 147. so in that way he's actually compromising to get this fight done cuz Canelo cant make 147 so they virtually met in the middle . lookin at it i think its a fair deal but i dont like catch weight title-fights.

Comment

Originally posted by jay-x View Post
        what i think alot of you are also forgetting is that during the post-fight interview of the Cotto fight , Floyd said he was done with 154 because he's a welterweight and not a true junior-middleweight . then after he said going forward that he's only fighting at 147. so in that way he's actually compromising to get this fight done cuz Canelo cant make 147 so they virtually met in the middle . lookin at it i think its a fair deal but i dont like catch weight title-fights.
        That's not true, he never said anything like that. He is still holding the SWW belt he got from Cotto, and before the Guerrero fight said he''ll defend it. Link on 1st page

Comment

Mayweather should ignore what everybody says. Most of his public comments sound like excuses more than reasons.

Comment

I wouldnt believe a damn thing that came from that TMT lot. Floyd is a 154 champ and wants to fight another 154 champ at 152. Its embarrasing.

Comment

Originally posted by mike3000gt71 View Post
              Maywrather is a fraud catchweight queen,he ducked everyone knows mayweather is a p.u.ssy,mayweather sucks boring fights i hope heburns and dies,ugly boy
              you sound like a woman that got kicked to the curve

Comment

A few thoughts:

- Cotto moved to 154 after coming down to 145 against pacquiao. He was 28 years old at the time. He has fought at 154 ever since.

-Canelo is barely 22 years old.

^ i guess what i'm concluding here is that making a battle worn cotto fight at a catchweight is way worse than making a much younger opponent shed 2 pounds

-When going on record saying you are willing to fight at a catchweight one should assume that the party is confident in making the weight.

-If I was a PROFESSIONAL boxer, i would have my management secure the best deal possible in MY favor as it is a business.

^ Just like ellerbe said, if that what the case is. The Canelo camp had already entertained the idea of a catchweight, therefore putting the ball in mayweather's court.

Now whether or not a catchweight would of even been discussed if Canelo's camp had mentioned it in the first place is another question.

I'm also thinking that if Canelo's team has discovered that canelo is gonna struggle to get to 152 in this case the logical decision would be to take the penalty and come in at a comfortable 154 or even 153 and some change as he has done multiple times. Its a scenario where the long term reward for winning exponentially outweighs the penalty for coming in a pound or so over in a career defining fight.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                  Of course Lyle Fitzsimmons wrote this. I would expect no less.

As said, if Mayweather didn't want the catchweight there wouldn't be one. If Alvarez suggested the catchweight, it was because he wasn't going to get the fight without it. The catchweight itself isn't even the problem in most fans' eyes, it's the hypocrisy of the situation that bothers us.
                  Thank you! This whole situation is getting so old and redundant.

Comment

I'd also like to ask if anyone can dig up this alleged article on Boxing Scene. For one, I don't really remember Canelo's management asking such a thing. Second, a google search for "site:boxingscene.com alvarez mayweather catch*weight or catchweight" only yields these relevant articles:

Floyd Sr. Confirms: Mayweather-Canelo Must Be at 147! - May 16, 2013

Canelo's Trainer: Mayweather Wants a Lower Weight - May 11, 2013

Canelo's Trainer Explains Mayweather Catch-Weight Deal - May 31, 2013

None of them imply anything other than the catch-weight being a term that Mayweather demanded. Unless I'm wrong about this, why would Ellerbe fabricate something so easy to look-up?

Comment

Watching the greasy little flomboners trying to defend it is a lot of fun. One of the funniest and most embarrasing u-turns I've seen here.

Comment

Working...
                      X