Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did Tyson never have a re- match against Buster Douglas?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did Tyson never have a re- match against Buster Douglas?

When he came out of jail he was still a decent fighter, does anyone know why the Douglas re-match never happened?

i believe they offered Douglass quite a bit of money right after the upset but Douglass turned it down to fight Holyfield instead (who he lost to.)
    After Tyson got out of jail Douglass was done. He balooned up to something like 350-400 pounds and no way would he have been a viable opponent for anyone.

Comment

Douglas' attitude was "**** Don King" so he fought Holyfield instead. Look at the scorecards to the fight and King's BS after the fight and you'll understand why he felt that way.

Comment

It would have happened, but Don King tried aggressively to have the fight ruled (i think) a No-Contest because Douglas got a long count when Tyson dropped him. They went over it on the ESPN Mike Tyson dvd.

Comment

Additionally, Holyfield was the mandatory with all three sanctioning bodies at the time.

Comment

It should be mentioned also that poor Buster's life basically began to unravel. He unfortunately became the model not being able to handle one's success, like Leon Spinks before him. I'm not saying Buster got into cocaine, etc., but everything that went into that magical night in Tokyo had dissipated.

I liked him, and he (and Riddick Bowe) should've remained atop the division as formidable 'big men' for many years, but alas ...

Comment

Why? 2 reason

#1. I think Holyfield was the mando

#2. Because he got 75% of a $32 mil purse bid ($24 mil).

Comment

Originally posted by Hop View Post
                It should be mentioned also that poor Buster's life basically began to unravel. He unfortunately became the model not being able to handle one's success, like Leon Spinks before him. I'm not saying Buster got into cocaine, etc., but everything that went into that magical night in Tokyo had dissipated.

I liked him, and he (and Riddick Bowe) should've remained atop the division as formidable 'big men' for many years, but alas ...
                He was a 1 hit wonder. He didnt even train for Holyfield, he came in like 15 pounds heavy then against Tyson. He came to collect a massive check because he had no chance against Evander

Comment

because buster douglas loves pie! he would fit in brilliantly in this era of blob heavyweights but in the late 80's early 90's he was toast.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                    He was a 1 hit wonder. He didnt even train for Holyfield, he came in like 15 pounds heavy then against Tyson. He came to collect a massive check because he had no chance against Evander
                    Right. So I assume you're agreeing (or illustrating) with what I was saying.

Comment

Working...
                    X