No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Lomachenko-Oquendo Will Be For WBO Regional Belt

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't get the whole WSB thing.
    I thought they kept their amateur status but fought without headgear.
    That's what the whole appeal was to Lomachenko going there for a while.
    I've been seeing this a lot recently...
    With Gashua, Warren and Lomachenko

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
      Does that even count towards the pro record?
      Isn't it sanctioned by AIBA?
      8 oz gloves, the fights have three judges, one referee, no head gear, over 3 rounds, and being paid....yeah, that tells me Pro. But he didn't score one KO which was a surprise. But he was one of my favorites of the Olympics.....he is far superior to that other guy on Arum's cards......we know who I mean too.
      Last edited by richardt; 08-30-2013, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by richardt View Post
        8 oz gloves, the fights have three judges, one referee, no head gear and being paid....yeah, that tells me Pro.
        Being a "pro" isnt clearly defined at all. All of AIBA will use that format

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
          Being a "pro" isnt clearly defined at all. All of AIBA will use that format
          But he will not be recognized as "winning a title in his second Pro fight".....there will be some courtroom battles over this sort of thing eventually. According to Fight Fax, Lomachenko’s WSB bouts are included in his pro record. If he wins a world title in second pro fight, it won’t be an official record from what I have read.

Comment

8 oz gloves, the fights have three judges, one referee, no head gear, over 3 rounds, and being paid....yeah, that tells me Pro. But he didn't score one KO which was a surprise. But he was one of my favorites of the Olympics.....he is far superior to that other guy on Arum's cards......we know who I mean too.
            guess AIBA lied to them... then again, they're pretty damn shady

http://www.maxboxing.com/news/max-bo...oxing-fighters

The fighters were told several things before joining. They would be paid but still maintain amateur status. The fighters with the best records on each team would compete in an individual championship after the team playoffs finished to be held in Macau that would help determine their future Olympic status. Whether or not these particular promises came to fruition is one of what is turning out to be a bones of contention skeleton from former executives and fighters in the WSB. Arguably the worst of these centers around a promise:

Comment

What I don't get is why a guy who could have commanded big money right out of the Olympics and fought on a PPV undercard or other network, chose to fight 6 fights outside of the career building limelight he could have been in by now.

Comment

So for now, FightFax is the official record keeper and they show his 6 fights so Oquendo is his 7th Pro fight. I just want to see him fight, he is a spectacle to watch. I have not seen one weakness yet in him. To me, Shiming is nothing but a gimmick who is too old to have longevity and cant crack an egg and struggles with a fighter with 5 fights, Lom however is the real deal!
                Last edited by richardt; 08-30-2013, 10:34 PM.

Comment

What I don't get is why a guy who could have commanded big money right out of the Olympics and fought on a PPV undercard or other network, chose to fight 6 fights outside of the career building limelight he could have been in by now.
                  Lomachenko has already made big money, probably a mil + fighting as an amateur

The 6 fights he fought in the WSB were against opponents 150X better then he would have faced as a fighter who is brought up the traditional way

Comment

those fights still prepared him for a professional style fight.
                    He still made money from WSB and the olympics... w/e the Ukranian incentive for winning gold is

Comment

But he will not be recognized as "winning a title in his second Pro fight".....there will be some courtroom battles over this sort of thing eventually. According to Fight Fax, Lomachenko’s WSB bouts are included in his pro record. If he wins a world title in second pro fight, it won’t be an official record from what I have read.
                      What you read is wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X