No announcement yet.

5 keys to defeating Floyd Mayweather: A 17 year study

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by waxfondler View Post
    the same way we can ask whether p-wills punch variety and output can outshine floyds potshots...

it was definitely an intriguing match-up... there were plenty of fighters that wouldve been interesting to see against floyd.

thats why i wouldve loved to see them instead of speculate.
    Agreed. Unfortunately things happen in the business of prize fighting.

Comment

• Originally posted by BUNGALOWS View Post
      1. Their southpaw stance had a ton to do with beating Paul. He was susceptible to the straight left. Something Sergio and Quintana taught Laura.

2. Floyd isn't a southpaw that is willing to bang on the inside to beat Paul. That's why they beat him.
      Neither Quintana nor Lara beat Williams by banging on the inside, that's the opposite of what they did.

Originally posted by BUNGALOWS View Post
      So, now that Sergio KO'd him, someone that Floyd fights nothing like, and Lara "beat" him, after the Sergio fight, so Paul was Sergio's leftovers, now I'm supposed to believe Floyd would beat Paul?

I didn't add Quintana, because Paul disposed of him like he should've in the 1st fight.
      The Martinez KO loss didn't affect Williams' technical abilities, his defense and ring intelligence were always quite poor. Yes Lara fights nothing like Floyd, he's less skilled and has more trouble keeping his opponent at bay, but the point is he's a mover which was Williams' kryptonite. Floyd is one of the best boxer/movers of all time.

Williams KOing Quintana in the rematch early doesn't erase what we saw in the first fight, his flaws got exposed, as we saw against Lara.

Originally posted by waxfondler View Post
      regarding volume punchers vs movers, it all depends on how they cut the ring off... margs was able to chase cotto around the first fight, but couldnt in the rematch... @ 147, floyd wasnt that mobile. and he got even more stationary as time went by. thats why its so impressive how he was able to get his legs going again against guerrero.

margs would rough floyd up. i know alot of people **** on margs, but he REALLY was a beast. and it wouldve been a HARD night for floyd if he fought prime margs. clenching, elbows, it doesnt matter... margs smothers and imposes his will on you. baldomir got nothing on margs, no comparison. who knows? maybe we mightve seen vintage floyd had he fought margs...
      Did Margarito impose his will on Mosley? Hell, he didn't even impose his will on Clottey, that fight was very close. In the first fight Cotto moved to the same side and let Margarito get too close without clinching, he's neither a pure boxer nor a guy who knows how to use roughhouse tactics. Floyd is as mobile or as stationary as he needs to be, if you were impressed by his movement against Guerrero then that means you bought into the "his legs are shot" nonsense.

Comment

• Originally posted by dc3383 View Post
        Floyd in 2006 was highly mobile; I see nothing in Margirito arsenal that would pose problems he was just to slow; punches are to looping and a leaky defense I call that a recipe for a 120-108 UD decision.
        i agree, margs had nothing for floyd technically... the only intrigue i saw was margs was stubborn enough to keep coming. you see most fighters hesitate once floyd pops them a few times, then their offense drops while they reluctantly chase floyd... i see margs walking through floyds counters. floyd has enough pop to keep you on your toes, but not enough to gain margs' respect... margs was REALLY that kind of fool. he most likely wouldve lost to floyd, but he wouldve taken something out of floyd no doubt. talk about wear & tear, margs WILL test you.

regarding floyds movement, i guess i was spoiled with 130s floyd.

Comment

in regards to boxing, he SHOULDVE fought. simple. some fighters get famous for what they do in the ring, some fighters get famous for what they do out... and some can balance the two... i think we both agree he bailed on the sport to further solidify his financials. what i got beef with is the fact he bailed period. i was a floyd fan before pac, but some of the things floyd does is just maddening. LOL.

a lot of people **** on SRL too... the thing is i am a floyd fan as well, but i am quick to call out BS when i see it.

talk about blueprint, they got that **** down to a science.
          Perhaps if odh, shane, cotto, and manny didn't turn floyd down for fights perhaps then he wouldn't of needed to go that route.

Floyd could've put the sport first when he got to the top. He could've said, "even though these guys blew me off I'm not going to do that, i'm gonna fight them now because the fans want it".

Floyd had to be patient and ask nicely and be greatful and then in return fast track the next generation and put the sport first. Who else had to do that?

Comment

i agree, margs had nothing for floyd technically... the only intrigue i saw was margs was stubborn enough to keep coming. you see most fighters hesitate once floyd pops them a few times, then their offense drops while they reluctantly chase floyd... i see margs walking through floyds counters. floyd has enough pop to keep you on your toes, but not enough to gain margs' respect... margs was REALLY that kind of fool. he most likely wouldve lost to floyd, but he wouldve taken something out of floyd no doubt. talk about wear & tear, margs WILL test you.

regarding floyds movement, i guess i was spoiled with 130s floyd.
            I can def agree with all of that; this is how regular boxing fans talks without all of the crying.
            Last edited by dc3383; 08-21-2013, 12:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
              Did Margarito impose his will on Mosley? Hell, he didn't even impose his will on Clottey, that fight was very close. In the first fight Cotto moved to the same side and let Margarito get too close without clinching, he's neither a pure boxer nor a guy who knows how to use roughhouse tactics. Floyd is as mobile or as stationary as he needs to be, if you were impressed by his movement against Guerrero then that means you bought into the "his legs are shot" nonsense.
              not at all, is it that hard to accept the fact that during 147, floyd wasnt as mobile or offensive as he was at the lighter weights??? or when he was "hungrier"?

whether he was "shot" or he simply was content on not "needing" to move, there was a difference. like i said, thats why i was happy to see floyd dispose of guerrero in the matter he did. it was a good display of where floyd is at currently. the same way i appreciated floyd giving more in the cotto fight.

we can disagree on margs, like i said, everyone ****s on margs, so i get it. you think margs is ****. LOL

there were alot of circumstances before the mosley fight, margs was ripe for the picking. the same way corrales had a lot of baggage going into the floyd fight.... it is what it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by dc3383 View Post
                I can def agree with all of that; this is how regualr boxing fans talks without all of the cryinf.
                debates are always good, we all lean towards certain fighters... i just try to keep myself in check & keep things objective.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arakawa Dunn View Post
                  Perhaps if odh, shane, cotto, and manny didn't turn floyd down for fights perhaps then he wouldn't of needed to go that route.

Floyd could've put the sport first when he got to the top. He could've said, "even though these guys blew me off I'm not going to do that, i'm gonna fight them now because the fans want it".

Floyd had to be patient and ask nicely and be greatful and then in return fast track the next generation and put the sport first. Who else had to do that?
                  Perhaps if he would t keep making sh it up along the way to block the fight and his biggest threat we would have seen the fight the thing is both are to blame but I blame Floyd more because eventually like 3 years ago manny agreed to everything then Floyd came out with the 40 mil flat offer which to real boxing fans is a complete duck!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckguy View Post
                    Perhaps if he would t keep making sh it up along the way to block the fight and his biggest threat we would have seen the fight the thing is both are to blame but I blame Floyd more because eventually like 3 years ago manny agreed to everything then Floyd came out with the 40 mil flat offer which to real boxing fans is a complete duck!
                    you mean the video where manny tells the interviewer "there are no more issues with testing only purse split"? If so, there is no possible way you can equate that with accepting everything.

Or do You mean like not fighting because of a cut or the need of a new stadium?

Just say you blame floyd because you dont like his personality and arrogance. You may not be able to justify that but at least you'd be honest.

Comment

• Regardless of Williams and Margarito,

even though the TS made some interesting points, there is not a specific game plan to beat Floyd,in my opinion. It depends on who you are.

If I had to name 3 things necessary to beat Floyd i'd go with discipline, composure and an asset he can't take away from you.

By his own admission Floyd's strategy is to negate his opponent's best weapon. If , for instance, you have a great jab, he'll start to time and counter that jab, until you become recluctant to throw it.

Here discipline becomes essential, as suggested by the TS you don't want Floyd to figure you out, you have to know when and how to engage, and for how long. Throw from different angles, with different timing, make him guess.

As Cus D'Amato would have said , it's all about will and discipline.

Regarding Williams and Margarito, instead.

I can see Williams cause Floyd some problem, especially early, while in my opinion Margarito would have been schooled for 12 rounds at best, TKO'ed within 7 at worst.

Comment

Working...
                      X