No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Cleverly: Sergey Kovalev's Punches were Like a Hammer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
    How can you duck someone for a bigger and better fight? Why would you fight a a mandatory over a unification fight and a chance to avenge one of your only losses?

Are you spasticated?
    Why would you fight Yusaf Mack when you can fight your mandatory?

Comment

Originally posted by Listonator View Post
      Holy **** has anyone actually seen the full interview on BBC? He seemed pretty level headed until he started giving his recollection of the fight in which he said he easily won round 1, won round 2 and was winning round 3 until he got caught! I do understand if he retires but he won't want to leave the sport like that. I mean it was a total demolition job, I've noticed some people likening it to the Khan vs Prescott fight and I really don't agree with that; I still think Khan on that night would have won 8/10. The Cleverly fight on the other hand was just a drubbing for every second of it and it was so bad that I could never see Cleverly winning at any point in his career even if he improves significantly. Usually when a promising undefeated fighter loses there's some sort of consolation but I just don't see it with this fight.
      just like hatton was winning by a country mile against pac until pac's lucky punch.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxingwizard View Post
        Kovalev is not unstoppable, a boxer like Ward would probably beat him. Hopkins is too old to be tasting leather from Kovalev, I think Hopkins loses. Froch would probably beat him.

If Dawson wasn't shot, he would beat Kovalev.
        why does this kid who looks small for a middleweight have to fight froch and ward who are very big and I do not know how they make weight. why aren't people talking about ward fighting the Russian that beat cleverly?

Comment

Originally posted by BafanaBafana View Post
          Why would you fight Yusaf Mack when you can fight your mandatory?
          Froch takes 1 soft fight out of about 10 hard fights in a row and he's labelled a ducker

Comment

"if there's a style that can beat kovalev it's my style." -nathan cleverly after the fight!

Comment

Froch takes 1 soft fight out of about 10 hard fights in a row and he's labelled a ducker
              I see, so instead of taking the more lucrative mandatory fight he elected to a soft and clearly less lucrative fight. It's a bit like what he is doing now, fighting George 'The Prospect' Groves over tougher much more lucrative fights like Stevenson, Hopkins, and Ward II.

Comment

I see, so instead of taking the more lucrative mandatory fight he elected to a soft and clearly less lucrative fight. It's a bit like what he is doing now, fighting George 'The Prospect' Groves over tougher much more lucrative fights like Stevenson, Hopkins, and Ward II.
                Stevenson wouldn't have been any more lucrative than Mack because no one knew who Stevenson was. You're revising history and using Stevenson's current status instead of his status at the time. Displaying your ignorance.

Speaking of which, Stevenson fought Don George in October 2012 in an IBF Eliminator. He became mandatory after winning that fight. Froch fought Mack in November 2012 - Stevenson wasn't even an option for that fight.

It was Kessler or Stevenson. Froch took the more lucrative and more meaningful fight.

Comment

It's a bit like what he is doing now, fighting George 'The Prospect' Groves over tougher much more lucrative fights like Stevenson, Hopkins, and Ward II.
                  Groves is the mandatory for Froch's belt. He has to fight him or lose his belt.

Stevenson and Hopkins are at light-heavyweight. Ward is injured and trying to secure a tune-up. You know this, don't you?

Comment

Someone brought here Carl in discussion as a viable UK alternative to Cleverly against Kovalev. It was about Carl's granite chin...
                    I like Froch.
                    But I said it's not about "granite chins" when dealing with Kovalev -- the guy hammers everything: chins, shoulders, arms, bodies, noses, ears, top of heads... Just everything...

Comment

Groves is the mandatory for Froch's belt. He has to fight him or lose his belt.

Stevenson and Hopkins are at light-heavyweight. Ward is injured and trying to secure a tune-up. You know this, don't you?
                      So now mandatories matter?

You know Stevenson and Hopkins are willing to make 168 for Froch? Also Froch didn't have to fight Yusaf Mack he could have waited a month or a couple weeks and fought his mandatory. Froch has always discarded fighting a Ward rematch and Andre hasn't always been injured these past two years. There was never any effort on his behalf in making a Ward rematch, which is really the fight he should be looking for if he really wants to prove he's improved and he's truly the best super middleweight as he claims he is.

Watch Froch continue to avoid a Ward rematch, Stevenson and Hopkins fight for the next few years until he retires. Oh, and Kovalev would probably decapitate him, so Froch will be ducking him too.
                      Last edited by BafanaBafana; 08-20-2013, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X