No announcement yet.

Cotto's departure from Emmanuel Steward

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cotto's departure from Emmanuel Steward

At the time, it seemed like a calculating, almost cold move by Cotto to distance himself from Emanuel Steward and begin training with Pedro Diaz.

In hindsight, it occurred to me that Miguel and Emmanuel might have discussed the separation personally and decided it might be best due to Emmanuel's health problems that we all weren't aware of at the time (at least I wasn't.) I have a completely different take on the situation now, but I could be totally wrong about this. What do you guys think?

Cotto was worried about his rematch with Margarito and wanted a coach by his side earlier than Steward was able to do it. Cotto said they were cool on a personal level and looked forward to the possibility of working with him again, no bad blood at all-my words not his. From what I remember that was the gist of it though.

Comment

I was waiting for Cotto to throw a R.I.P. Manny on his trunks or something but I never saw that he did. Seemed kinda weird to me.

Comment

It was a bad decision in my humble, but honest opinion.

Comment

Did Cotto even attend the funeral?

Comment

Lets not put Cotto in an unfair position here. Sure they must have respected eachother a lot but in the end this was a business and they might not have been friends at all. I'm sure Cotto was saddened by his death.

Comment

This was a business relationship between two guys that had respect for each other. Cotto and Steward's schedules didn't match up and his very personal and emotional rematch with Marg coming up. Also heard money could have played a part. I'm sure Cotto was saddened by his passing and offered his condolences. Dude is pure class.

Comment

Originally posted by Interloper View Post
                At the time, it seemed like a calculating, almost cold move by Cotto to distance himself from Emanuel Steward and begin training with Pedro Diaz.

In hindsight, it occurred to me that Miguel and Emmanuel might have discussed the separation personally and decided it might be best due to Emmanuel's health problems that we all weren't aware of at the time (at least I wasn't.) I have a completely different take on the situation now, but I could be totally wrong about this. What do you guys think?
                IMO Diaz was a good trainer for Cotto.

Comment

Out of nowhere today, Kellerman went in on Cotto today. Basically saying his decline was in part due to him taking the easy way out in training for fights (location, quality of sparring partners, trainers).

Comment

Originally posted by Em1 View Post
                    Out of nowhere today, Kellerman went in on Cotto today. Basically saying his decline was in part due to him taking the easy way out in training for fights (location, quality of sparring partners, trainers).
                    Fuck Max Kellerman. In his defense, he's hard to understand with Paul Williams' dick in his mouth.

Comment

Working...
                    X