Omar Figueroa vs Jorge Linares next?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omar Figueroa vs Jorge Linares next?

Linares vs. Figueroa a good possibility

I asked Robert Diaz about the possibility of a lightweight matchup between surging young contender Omar Figueroa and the once highly praised Jorge Linares.

Diaz indicated that if Figueroa (21-0-1, 17 KOs) gets past Nihito Arakawa next Saturday on the Andre Berto-Jesus Soto Karass undercard, and Jorge Linares wins his tune-up in Japan, the fight can very easily be made.

Linares indicated he wanted to fight for a title after his next fight, and if Figueroa beats Arakawa, it would be for the interim WBC belt. Diaz also indicated that both camps have professed their interest in the fight.

"It's hard for me, because I've been involved with both fighters almost since the beginning," said Diaz. "But they both have said they wanted the fight, and stylistically, it is a great one. Omar is the young puncher and Linares the more boxing savvy."

Golden Boy hasn't been able to get the most out of Linares (33-3, 21 KOs), because whenever it seems he is ready to breakthrough as a star, he loses. Such was the case when Max Kellerman was referring to Linares as possessing the skills of Sugar Ray Robinson just a few rounds before Antonio DeMarco would stop him in the 11th round in October 2011.

http://rin gtv.craveonline.com/blog/179807-bits-a-pieces-russell-jrs-opponent-named

Linares hasn't done anything in years

Figueroa probably mauls him in a couple of rounds

Comment

Hell Yea! Huge step up for Figueroa. Man i hope this goes down.

Comment

I wish Linares would win, but Figueroa's pressure and power would get to him. He'd get stopped or cut up.

Comment

i like figueroa. i think he's a solid fighter and he's a college boy if i remember correctly. just a good looking young fighter. good power, fan friendly style.

he will just poor linares. i like linares too, but he should pick up tennis or something. if all they did was shadowbox linares would be the goods. unfortunately, they punch you on the chin and eyebrows in boxing, and linares gets rocked by one and cut by the other.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            i like figueroa. i think he's a solid fighter and he's a college boy if i remember correctly. just a good looking young fighter. good power, fan friendly style.

he will just poor linares. i like linares too, but he should pick up tennis or something. if all they did was shadowbox linares would be the goods. unfortunately, they punch you on the chin and eyebrows in boxing, and linares gets rocked by one and cut by the other.
            Linares has zero pinch resistance. I mean he got knocked out cold in sparring with headgear on. Boxing just may not be for him.

Comment

Linares's face won't hold up for the entire fight.

Comment

My boy Linares gets the W

Comment

I would be rooting for linares all the way.

Comment

There's no need for this matchup.

Comment

Working...
                    X