Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My detailed break down of the issues Pacquaio could have given Floyd.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My detailed break down of the issues Pacquaio could have given Floyd.

This is a very long read and I will love detailed contributions and not just random troll posts.

I often feel that one of the biggest misconceptions in boxing is how Marquez defeating Pacquaio=Floyd defeating Pacquaio.

They are completely different fighters who set up their counters completely differently.

First off, the key for Marquez against Pacquiao has always been his constant lateral movement. Not only does he constantly sway at a low center of gravity while rotating away from Pac's left, but he pivots out of range and changes the angle after landing an attack, or even in the middle of an exchange, to completely confuse Pacquiao and take away his ability to take the initiative with his amazingly swift footwork. He does this so much so that in the second half of the fight, he caught Pacquiao with a left hook pretty much behind the head because of how he was able to laterally shift away from an oncoming Manny.

Mayweather on the other hand is a more conventional "slick" counter-puncher who relies on his control of distance to anticipate and neutralize his opponent. While he's brilliant in reading his opponent and measuring his own punches against their own, he usually does this either going straight backwards or straight forwards, with efficient footwork. He has habituated himself to fighting in straight lines in order to land his favorite punches; lead right hands, pull-counters, jabs to the body, counter or lead left hooks, or counter-right uppercuts when swarmed. But one thing Mayweather almost never shows is the type of lateral movement Marquez shows. I can point to the De La Hoya fight (which I thought he won) for evidence of this habit. De La Hoya, while still game, had an offensive gameplan that relied a lot on mere feints and swarms of activity to back Floyd up, and he usually did so with no problem. Even after Mayweather adjusted to his rhythm and started winning rounds, he hardly ever looked impressive and was backing up consistently without ever shifting towards a laterally-minded gameplan. Wouldn't that have made things easier for him instead of constantly giving up the center and having to retreat to the ropes to counter before escaping? Someone with the style of Hopkins (as in VS Pavlik), for example, would prefer such tactics, and Floyd seems to prefer seeing his opponent right in front of him, positioning himself right in front.

This leads into my second point, which is that Marquez's movement allows him to get Pacquiao on the inside and punish him. As an in-the-pocket counter-puncher, Marquez can duck under and find himself body-to-body with pacquiao and take advantage of his unpolished inside game. Uppercuts, combinations, and even spots of controlled aggression (before pivoting out) are something that he can do because of his relatively similar size to Pacquiao.

Now, while people point to Mayweather's reach giving Pacquiao issues, I don't believe he'll be able to use it to control Pacquiao if he shows his regular movement. Floyd's accurate and reflexive, but his defensive stance by nature anchors his back foot to the canvas, and allows someone as fleet-footed as Pacquiao to change the punching angle and capitalize for an offensive opportunity.

Fighting in straight lines is not the way to beat Pacquiao; you have to take away the punching angle, and I don't think at all that Floyd can circle as well as he can back-pedal.

On top of all of this is tempo. While Marquez was able to control pace from time to time, he was still able to fluidly exchange with Pacquiao and see the angles in order to time the better shots while rolling with Pac's own. Mayweather, as skilled and tough and intuitive as he is, has not shown this quality in abundance. The times he's been hurt actually, have been times he's over-committed to his own punches (Corely, Judah, Mosley). He can adjust brilliantly round-to-round, but as controversial as it may sound, I feel he lacks this sort of intangible fluidity Marquez has in his approach. Floyd can counter for 3 rounds and then come forward for 7, while Marquez can switch between momentary aggressor and counter-puncher several times within the same round.

Mayweather's great ability still gives him a logical avenue for victory- but don't think for a second that Pacquiao's own skills and physical gifts are a puzzle easily solved by a majority of elite boxers that necessarily bunch both Mayweather and Marquez together.

Styles (NOT labels) make fights, and Marquez and Mayweather are nearly night and day when it comes to applying their craft.
    Last edited by SkittlezFelix; 07-14-2013, 02:49 AM.

Floyd would box Mannys ears off as easy as he did JMM and Guerrero , the skill difference in Floyd and Manny is huge , Manny would be a frustrated mess .

Comment

Originally posted by SkittlezFelix View Post
      This is a very long read and I will love detailed contributions and not just random troll posts.

I often feel that one of the biggest misconceptions in boxing is how Marquez defeating Pacquaio=Floyd defeating Pacquaio.

They are completely different fighters who set up their counters completely differently.

First off, the key for Marquez against Pacquiao has always been his constant lateral movement. Not only does he constantly sway at a low center of gravity while rotating away from Pac's left, but he pivots out of range and changes the angle after landing an attack, or even in the middle of an exchange, to completely confuse Pacquiao and take away his ability to take the initiative with his amazingly swift footwork. He does this so much so that in the second half of the fight, he caught Pacquiao with a left hook pretty much behind the head because of how he was able to laterally shift away from an oncoming Manny.

Mayweather on the other hand is a more conventional "slick" counter-puncher who relies on his control of distance to anticipate and neutralize his opponent. While he's brilliant in reading his opponent and measuring his own punches against their own, he usually does this either going straight backwards or straight forwards, with efficient footwork. He has habituated himself to fighting in straight lines in order to land his favorite punches; lead right hands, pull-counters, jabs to the body, counter or lead left hooks, or counter-right uppercuts when swarmed. But one thing Mayweather almost never shows is the type of lateral movement Marquez shows. I can point to the De La Hoya fight (which I thought he won) for evidence of this habit. De La Hoya, while still game, had an offensive gameplan that relied a lot on mere feints and swarms of activity to back Floyd up, and he usually did so with no problem. Even after Mayweather adjusted to his rhythm and started winning rounds, he hardly ever looked impressive and was backing up consistently without ever shifting towards a laterally-minded gameplan. Wouldn't that have made things easier for him instead of constantly giving up the center and having to retreat to the ropes to counter before escaping? Someone with the style of Hopkins (as in VS Pavlik), for example, would prefer such tactics, and Floyd seems to prefer seeing his opponent right in front of him, positioning himself right in front.

This leads into my second point, which is that Marquez's movement allows him to get Pacquiao on the inside and punish him. As an in-the-pocket counter-puncher, Marquez can duck under and find himself body-to-body with pacquiao and take advantage of his unpolished inside game. Uppercuts, combinations, and even spots of controlled aggression (before pivoting out) are something that he can do because of his relatively similar size to Pacquiao.

Now, while people point to Mayweather's reach giving Pacquiao issues, I don't believe he'll be able to use it to control Pacquiao if he shows his regular movement. Floyd's accurate and reflexive, but his defensive stance by nature anchors his back foot to the canvas, and allows someone as fleet-footed as Pacquiao to change the punching angle and capitalize for an offensive opportunity.

Fighting in straight lines is not the way to beat Pacquiao; you have to take away the punching angle, and I don't think at all that Floyd can circle as well as he can back-pedal.

On top of all of this is tempo. While Marquez was able to control pace from time to time, he was still able to fluidly exchange with Pacquiao and see the angles in order to time the better shots while rolling with Pac's own. Mayweather, as skilled and tough and intuitive as he is, has not shown this quality in abundance. The times he's been hurt actually, have been times he's over-committed to his own punches (Corely, Judah, Mosley). He can adjust brilliantly round-to-round, but as controversial as it may sound, I feel he lacks this sort of intangible fluidity Marquez has in his approach. Floyd can counter for 3 rounds and then come forward for 7, while Marquez can switch between momentary aggressor and counter-puncher several times within the same round.

Mayweather's great ability still gives him a logical avenue for victory- but don't think for a second that Pacquiao's own skills and physical gifts are a puzzle easily solved by a majority of elite boxers that necessarily bunch both Mayweather and Marquez together.

Styles (NOT labels) make fights, and Marquez and Mayweather are nearly night and day when it comes to applying their craft.
      Mayweather has never really used allot of lateral movement. BUT Against Ghost, he was lateral out of the azz. His movement was amazing, and he did move in zig zags at times. I feel that the Floyd who fought JMM, Ortiz, Mosley, Cotto would lose to both Pac and Ghost. It would look like Broner vs Gavin, when Gavin was tagging Broner up, but it would be with more speed and power from Pac. Now the Floyd who fought Ghost, would completely drop Pac's output, and his footwork would be too much for Pac. Pac has footSPEED. Floyd on the other hand has not only footspeed, footwork, but also foot LIGHTNESS. Floyd was incredibly lightfooted against Ghost, and I think Pac would stand no chance against that Floyd.

Comment

Only way i see pac beating floyd is by outworkin him or catching him clean and koing him i feel its the same reason why floyd didnt want margarito because their workrate is unbelievable

Comment

Speed, power, and work rate.

Comment

bottom line, Cherrypicker didn't want none, the whole clan was shook

Comment

What is Manny gonna do stand on stilts to try to hit Floyd he'll have as much issues dealing with Floyds height and reach like JMM did......................

Comment

I agree with you that Marquez and Mayweather are different fighters. However, I see Floyd's attributes being more effective than Marquez's. First, even though they approach defense differently, Mayweather's defense is way superior to Marquez. Mayweather makes good fighters miss shots that would land on many other fighters including Marquez. I don't see Pacquiao landing any more than anyone else would against Mayweather. Second, one of the greatest attribute of Mayweather's is his timing. Within a few rounds he's able figure out his opponents tendencies and not only make them miss, but land shots at their most vulnerable points. One of Pacquiao's flaws is you can almost set your clock to what he's about to do. He started out literally doing the same move over and over again. As he improved he added a few more moves but it's still basically the same moves. Floyd would figure out his tendencies within a few rounds, so as the fight went Pacuiao would miss more and get hit more. The one sure way Pacquiao could beat Floyd is to catch him one hard punch. Since we know Mayweather has a tendency to get caught every once in a while. I believe if Pacquiao landed like Corley, Judah, or Mosely landed, it would probably be lights out.

Comment

if mayweather vs pacman is the record biggest paydays nd will set record ppv numbers, all while floyds nickname is MONEY. than its almost common sense why they didnt fight. get it now?

Comment

good read/analysis if only they will meet inside the ring so well see if its right tho.

Comment

Working...
                    X