No announcement yet.

kostya tszyu, how will he be remembered

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
    He was a great fighter and one of the best of his era...

But he is not in the same league as a floyd, oscar, tito, etc.. He is just below that..

Shame he never got fights with oscar and shane

I put him in the same category as winky, forrest, guys who were great champs of their era but for whatever reason didnt reach the stardom of others..
    I agree with this, he wasn't quite the level of the best, but just below that. He rode high on the p4p for a significant period of time, and that along with his Olympic gold medal is why he is HOF. He could've achieved more in my opinion, but he was unfortunate to have some big injuries during what would have been his best years (early 30's). His performance in the Olympic final against Forrest is one of the best amateur performances I have ever seen, absolute schooling! His jump from a top amateur to a top pro is extremely impressive and very few fighters manage to do it.

He also had dynamite in his fists, which meant he had a chance against absolutely anyone, if you gave him time and room he could take you out. His weakness was his defense, he wasn't hard to find, his footwork was slow, and he couldn't fight on the inside.

Comment

If i'm not mistaken Both Oscar and Shane by passed 140 to go to 147.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Donald View Post
        does he go down as one of the best 140lbers of all time

Sure, but it's not a historically deep division. Being rated among the best in that division doesn't actually require you to be a genuine great of the sport, just very good (which he obviously was.)

Comment

Originally posted by Regeza View Post
          He had a fight lined up with Oscar but Vince Phillips spoiled those plans.

Comment

Originally posted by prinzemanspopa View Post
            Sure, but it's not a historically deep division. Being rated among the best in that division doesn't actually require you to be a genuine great of the sport, just very good (which he obviously was.)
            It's a good point lots of fighters have passed through but not many are known for ruling it for a long period of time. The obvious name that stands out off the top of my head is Pryor and then you are already getting to Tszyu. It's been a strong division this decade though.

Comment

Originally posted by Regeza View Post
              You are correct about shane, he pulled a broner and went straight to welter..

Oscar was at 140 for awhile, Thats where the 1st chavez fight happened...

Like another poster said, vince phillips ko'd tzysu and cost him the oscar fight.

Comment

You are correct about shane, he pulled a broner and went straight to welter..

Oscar was at 140 for awhile, Thats where the 1st chavez fight happened...

Like another poster said, vince phillips ko'd tzysu and cost him the oscar fight.
                yeah i knew one of them skipped the division, but spaced about oscar.
                Last edited by Regeza; 07-08-2013, 07:28 PM.

Comment

One of floyds original daddy.

Comment

Pretty good fighter

Comment

He was a great fighter and one of the best of his era...

But he is not in the same league as a floyd, oscar, tito, etc.. He is just below that..

Shame he never got fights with oscar and shane

I put him in the same category as winky, forrest, guys who were great champs of their era but for whatever reason didnt reach the stardom of others..
                      Based on marketing i agree based on skill i don't.

Comment

Working...
                      X