No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Mayweather: The Media Built Manny Pacquiao To My Level

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by K-DOGG View Post
    While I do respect your opinion and grant the point about tension between Arum and Mayweather, I would stress that, overall, his career north of 135 really hasn't been overly impressive.

While the victory over Judah and Hatton are what I consider the highpoints, it cannot be ignored that Gatti was so far over the hill, he was under it....as was Mitchell. Baldomir, while brave, was as slow as molasses in wintertime; and save his upset victory over Judah, hadn't accomplished really anything noteworthy.

De La Hoya.....once again, a fighter well past his better days; and one could argue that there was a slight conflict of interest in the legitimacy of the bout considering that De La Hoya would be promoting Mayweather and making scads of cash with him......I'm not saying it was a fix 'cause it didn't need to be at that point in De La Hoya's career (he was done); but there's always a possibility of shananigans when money is involved.

Then there's Cotto. While I personally don't think Cotto would have stood a chance against Mayweather at his best a few years before, I don't know anybody that thought he had a snowball's chance in hell of winning going into that fight.....and, it "felt" weird.

Marquez....c'mon. Size difference, Hello. He might as well have taken his lunch money.

Then of course there's the other Titan's of competition he's beaten since and before.

My point is simply this. Mayweather, like Roy Jones Jr., didn't like taking chances....it's like playing craps with loaded dice. No true champion of "old" ducked the best fighters out there. Mayweather, like Jones Jr (no Michael Nunn, Nigel Benn, or Michelche...hell, I can't spell it; but you know who he was), and like Ray Leonard after Hagler.....gambled on what he thought were sure things.

I'm not denying Floyd's physical ability; but I will say the second half of his career was a façade, otherwise he would have fought Pacquiao, who fought several of the same opponents admittedly; but he started out at flyweight....and that's a slightly tougher hill to climb than the one Mayweather crossed.

Ali still would have been considered a great fighter if he'd never come back in 70 and fought Frazier and Foreman; but AS Great?? I don't think so.

Pacquiao, whether he could have beaten Mayweather or not, was Floyd's Frazier.......the people wanted it, it looked like a great fight on paper, and the world would have been watching. Greatness awaited.

The dice just weren't loaded quite enough. The risk was too high. And Floyd settled for "really good"........like Ali would have been remembered if he'd never been tested....maybe "great"; but not "GREAT".

Peace.
    This is exactly how I feel about this whole situation. Yeah fighting pacman was too risky to mayweathers 0 I don't think he felt that winning was impossible but it definately wasn't a sure thing, and I would say mayweather is more qualified at picking opponents than his fan boys. It just goes to show the respect mayweather had for pacquiao; he considered him an equal.

Comment

• The Pacquiao from 2009-2011 seemed to be at a skill set and physical peak. This version of him would have presented a challenge to FMJ. Not saying he would beat Floyd,...but would be a problem. This would no doubt be true the other way around.
      Yes,...Floyd soundly beat Marquez,..and we all know what Marquez presented to Pac. But I'm looking at this from a style standpoint. Look at the Duran-Hearns-Hagler equation.
      So with that being said. I see Pac's speed and skills getting to Floyd. Especially early. As the fight went to the later rounds,..then it would be interesting to see as well. Because Pac doesn't slow down and this is when Floyd really starts to time things.
      I look at the Judah vs. Floyd fight and get an idea of how Floyd vs. Pac would look. But Pac is more erratic than Zab. Speed is about the same.. and Pac DOES NOT TIRE OR STOP. So that is the interesting part for me.
      From Floyd's side,..I see his timing, defense and speed as being a real problem for Pac. Maybe too much.
      Hard fight too call. Floyd definitely has the advantage now. Manny's peak was 2-3 years ago. I don't think he's lost a significant amount of speed. I think it is his focus.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
        didn't bob say manny may never fight again in the US?
        That is a big relief for you.

Comment

• Pac built himself above and beyond floyds level by fighting and beating better fighters than Floyd.

The media just acknowledged what they saw, just like boxing fans do. Floyd also believed the hype by requesting OSDTs and ducking Pac for dear life.
          Last edited by hugh grant; 06-28-2013, 08:09 PM.

Comment

• Listen man he never wanted to fight the guy it's obvious, he waited for him to decline and now he has his wish, can't believe how many people kiss the dude's ass.

Comment

• Of course the media is what made you scared to fight the pac-man shame on you media picking on poor Mayweather Junior.

Comment

Working...
              X