Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Miguel Vazquez: I Want Gamboa, I'm Better Than Him!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terence Crawford vs Yuriorkis Gamboa

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
      Perez made Gamboa miss, I can't think of a notable punch he landed after the knock down, a simple step back seems to neutralize his whole offense, although one may stay respectful of his power and explosiveness. Vazquez though, Vazquez would find it easy to tag him and move out. This is simply a case of Gamboa not belonging at 135 though, to think people on here once thought he could challenge Broner. Burns may have not looked so good in his last fight but I would easily pick him to beat Gamboa as well.

I hope Gamboa and his team get down to 130, Mendez, Garcia, Russell Jr, Fortuna, Uchiyama, Abner Mares would move up to 130 if he knew he can get Gamboa. So many interesting match ups at that weight.
      Gamboa is not moving back to 130 until he loses and, even then, his pride is strong enough to make him move up instead of moving down.

The state that lightweight is at is that the top of the division is tall. He's just going to have to adjust to neutralize the simple step back tactic or suffer the consequences. The adjustments he can make are 1 and/or 2:

1 - Learn how to fight on the inside. Gamboa's going to be the shorter fighter, but he doesn't have a refined inside game so he avoids being on the inside altogether. He can develop the tools to fight effectively on the inside (and he's developed his inside defense... not enough to use it at this level though) , but this is the longer road.

2 - Learn how to feint using his footwork. Pacquiao developed his footwork feints to a point where he can constantly catch opponents off guard... without it, he'd be Gamboa against the step back. Yuriorkis is too quick and explosive not to be able to become effective using this.

He can make a successful transition to lightweight, but people have to remember that there are few boxers who are going to look good against defensive opponents throwing less than 400 punches in a 12 round fight like Darley Perez or serial clinchers the likes of Vazquez and Abril.

Comment

Originally posted by Heru View Post
        Gamboa is not moving back to 130 until he loses and, even then, his pride is strong enough to make him move up instead of moving down.

The state that lightweight is at is that the top of the division is tall. He's just going to have to adjust to neutralize the simple step back tactic or suffer the consequences. The adjustments he can make are 1 and/or 2:

1 - Learn how to fight on the inside. Gamboa's going to be the shorter fighter, but he doesn't have a refined inside game so he avoids being on the inside altogether. He can develop the tools to fight effectively on the inside (and he's developed his inside defense... not enough to use it at this level though) , but this is the longer road.

2 - Learn how to feint using his footwork. Pacquiao developed his footwork feints to a point where he can constantly catch opponents off guard... without it, he'd be Gamboa against the step back. Yuriorkis is too quick and explosive not to be able to become effective using this.

He can make a successful transition to lightweight, but people have to remember that there are few boxers who are going to look good against defensive opponents throwing less than 400 punches in a 12 round fight like Darley Perez or serial clinchers the likes of Vazquez and Abril.
        That made me laugh, never heard that one before. You know, I predicted that his move to LW would be disastrous, he may have won but I see a first defeat brewing. As for number 2, Hopkins does that so well, I know what you mean.

The thing is this, I've seen shorter fighters have success moving up, even ones with Gamboa's height, but Gamboa's case is a bit different in that his reach is...

Comment

Originally posted by whoseyourdaddy View Post
          Wasn't him in talks with Burns at that time? IMHO I think Vasquez has a Great chance at beating Gamboa, he is what 5' 4", 5' 5" while Vasquez 5' 11", Gamboa has some problems with guys that step back......Vasquez takes steps back alright (run) and counters extremely well with his long reech, I expect Gamby to have a long night if they ever fight.
          Vasquez received an offer by the Gamboa team two months ago. Vasquez must have been asking for a steep price. What else could it be?

When you're offered something, you get the upper hand in negotiations. When you do the offering, it's the opposite. However, when you're not a star yet, especially with a boring style, you take offers seriously and get ready to make compromises.

http://www.boxingscene.com/miguel-va...-gamboa--64095

Burns is eying Abril. So who is there for this boring Vasquez guy now who has a name like Gamboa?
          Last edited by al-Xander; 06-13-2013, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Heru View Post

Very nice, and all theoretically possible, but Gamboa is 31 years old (32 in December). Yuri has relied quite a bit on his exceptional talent during his career. I don't see him making appreciable changes for the remainder. I just hope he has enough to salvage what's left of his damaged run as a pro.

Comment

Originally posted by mrpain81 View Post
                lmao

Comment

As Rigo was his daddy in the amateurs in Cuban national championships and as you all saw him against Perez the cat is out of the bag now, that he can be neutralized by defensive minded fighters because he comes in with 0 Game plan, he shines the most against aggressive fighters thrives on fighters coming at him. That being said if no one else wants it at 135 there is no excuse for inactivity if he ain't going back down where he looks his best like i think he should, he should get in with Vazques as soon as possible 0 excuses now.

Oh and get a mothafuking real trainer you cheap fk nobody is hurting Gamboa's Career more than himself!

Comment

Vazquez UD..... Make it happen

Comment

Miguel Vasquez was in fact contacted by the Gamboa camp but they were offering peanuts and they know this is what kill it. They decided to go for an easier fight with Perez, who Gamboa was afraid to take any risk with and gave another boring performance. Even HBO wss talking smack. Vasquez will school Gamboa just the Rigondeaux did to Donaire. If you don't believe take the leap and tell 50 to put money on his boy!

Comment

Working...
                      X