No announcement yet.

New study says boxing still America's favourite combat sport

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by croz View Post
    You mind learning to read? I said this study focuses on avid fanbase not total fanbase. The total fan base was covered in a different study. At least ask for a source rather than acting straight out like a know it all moron. We had a lengthy discussion on it here before:
    http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=573816

links here:
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/10/4...-combat-sports
    As far as boxing, which has also seen an increase in fans over the last 10 years, Dave Meltzer in the latest Wrestling Observer states (subscription required) that this is primarily down to the Hispanic market.

A big key is the emergence in numbers of the Hispanic audience, where boxing is the second biggest sport next to soccer. Those numbers have increased over the past decade from 37.4 million to 50.7 million, and will continue to increase over the next decade. What makes that strange is that pro wrestling is twice as popular with the Hispanic audience in the U.S. than the white audience, so whatever growth boxing should have because of it should be mirrored by wrestling. It’s hard to say why that isn’t the case. Boxing hasn’t had that superstar Hispanic since Oscar De La Hoya, and wrestling really hasn’t had one in decades. Eddy Guerrero was close before his death and was the biggest since the heyday of Mil Mascaras (who was a superstar only regionally in the U.S.), but to really draw from that type of audience, the guy has to be No. 1, not No. 5 when it comes to being pushed as the serious top star of the brand.

http://mmapayout.com/2010/11/the-ufc-fan-base/
    The size of the UFC fan base in the United States is estimated to be approximately 31 million people
    also worth noting, Meltzer's claim that Hispanics make up the bulk of America's boxing fan base and increase is completely disproved by these released figures.

Comment

lol thank god. But alot of people who are "Big boxing fans" Only know mayweather and tyson and only watched highlights lol

Comment

Originally posted by croz;13352026At least ask for a source rather than acting straight out like a know it all moron. We had a lengthy discussion on it here before:
        [url
        http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573816[/url
        I tought I factwopped your ass on that one too....I don't know that much but at least I don't make up stats to claim my agenda.

Comment

alot of people dont like the lay n pray hugging aspect...that **** is artless and boring

Comment

Originally posted by croz View Post
            also worth noting, Meltzer's claim that Hispanics make up the bulk of America's boxing fan base and increase is completely disproved by these released figures.
            Maybe Hispanics make up the largest portion of total fans, not avid fans.

Comment

MMA has some work to do before it can catch up with boxing in terms of popularity as a contact sport...Either in America or world-wide...

When you have Arum making moves in Macau right now and sellout boxing events in Argentina, Canada, England, and Germany, boxing is doing fine right now...

I kept telling a friend of mine this that was yelling from pillar-to-post that MMA is killing boxing right now...um, no...

Comment

Originally posted by JRB123 View Post
                MMA has some work to do before it can catch up with boxing in terms of popularity as a contact sport...Either in America or world-wide...

When you have Arum making moves in Macau right now and sellout boxing events in Argentina, Canada, England, and Germany, boxing is doing fine right now...

I kept telling a friend of mine this that was yelling from pillar-to-post that MMA is killing boxing right now...um, no...
                LoL at this UFC had an event in Macao in november and also has events all over the world.....Both boxing and UFC are doing fine...
                Last edited by mikinoki; 05-11-2013, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Its easily my favorite combat sport. I'm not a fan of MMA/UFC. I'd rather watch WWE than that but thats just me.

Comment

Originally posted by mikinoki View Post
                    I tought I factwopped your ass on that one too....I don't know that much but at least I don't make up stats to claim my agenda.
                    Was that you? No wonder you're so butthurt. Now everything you said in that thread looks out and out ******ed.

Idiots in that thread were trying to say boxing's US fan base was mostly hispanic without any proof. These released figures say the total opposite. Make up stats? Are you saying I fabricated this study? I don't understand your line of reasoning and I'm sure neither do you. Being butt hurt doesn't mean you actually have a leg to stand on. The pole Dana White shoved up your ******* doesn't count as a leg.

There is no argument. This study blasts away everything they were trying to say.

And why the **** were you asking for a source for the 50 mill-30 mill figure when you had already wasted plenty of your time arguing in the thread where the sources are already posted? You were fully ****ing aware that the study existed yet you just tried to pretend you never heard of it.
                    Last edited by croz; 05-11-2013, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
                      Maybe Hispanics make up the largest portion of total fans, not avid fans.
                      Possibly. It'd be unlikely since it should be represented in some way through the avid fan base. It wouldn't make sense for the Hispanics in the avid fan base to be so small. They should be represented more in the avid fan base. Otherwise it's a pretty big leap to assume 30 million Hispanics are hiding just around the corner.

Comment

Working...
                      X