Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Showtime is putting a lot of money into this fight so what happens if...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Showtime is putting a lot of money into this fight so what happens if...

This show tanks? I would imagine that would make the next opponent Floyd chose to fight very critical. I don't think Showtime would go for another Guerrero level opponent. This could be interesting.

there is pretty much no talk about this fight whatsoever. usually by now I would have heard my casual friends bring it up and **** but not once.

Comment

Floyd's PPV sales will suffer because of Pac's KO loss. I think showtime will push for canelo-mayweather next because that's the only fight that will generate big business. But we know floyd " he calls the shots ".
      Last edited by TRTboy; 04-28-2013, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BudHeavy View Post
        there is pretty much no talk about this fight whatsoever. usually by now I would have heard my casual friends bring it up and **** but not once.
        My guess is that Mayweather has built his career on being the guy that many people are wanting to see lose. In his other fights, in the fight build up they were able to build some buzz around the opponent actually having a chance at beating Floyd.

So you would get more people talking about it because there was some semblance of a challenge. I have not talked to anyone who is giving Guerrero a real shot at winning this. So there doesn't seem to be much buzz coming from the idea that Floyd could lose. Without it, all you have left are the more hard core boxing fans who will watch Floyd no matter who he fought.

Comment

I agree it doesn't feel like a Floyd fight week at all.
          I think back to the Hatton and Mosley fights, there was a crazy amount of buzz.
          The big question is how much say does Showtime have in who Floyd fights. Did they give him a blank check and allowed him to pick his opponents? If they did then they are getting what they paid for.
          If not they will be pushing for a Canelo clash sooner rather than later if the lack of hype is any indication of the final PPV numbers.

Comment

I dont remember being this turned off at a floyd fight like I have been for this one in a long time. I dont even think im going to watch it which is crazy because i usually watch everything, i probably will but usually im already making plans by now and calling people. It will probably be a gametime decision for me

Comment

I'd be shocked if this event totally flops. It hasn't been typical buzz for a Floyd fight but this is the softest fighter name wise that he's fought in a long time. Mosley and Cotto are big names that get people excited. And at least with Ortiz there was still the anticipation of a Pacquiao fight coming up at some point.

I still expect the fight to do decent numbers but below average of what Floyd typically does.

Comment

I like to watch Mayweather fight but I just scratch my head as this opponent. Maybe he wanted a lower hanging fruit to help brace himself for a more intense fighting schedule?

There is only one opponent type that Mayweather is missing from his resume. He has the skilled veterans, he has young lions, but he doesn't have that skilled veteran who still has his physical prime.

I would have said Sergio before this most recent fight. I think age is catching up. Really I just don't see how Canelo can't be next. There might be a large group of hangers on who would still like to see him get in the ring with Manny (me included) but I just don't think that will happen.

He has another shot to get a guy whose skilled, elite, and in his prime on his resume. I would be greatly disappointed if he lets this one slip him by too. I think this would also be a stain on his legacy as well.

Comment

What does Floyd care, he has his retirement in place.
                  300M?

Comment

LOL you guys say the same thing everytime he fights...

Comment

Working...
                    X