No announcement yet.

Guillermo Rigondeaux Q&A: "I believe the boos were for Nonito."

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guillermo Rigondeaux Q&A: "I believe the boos were for Nonito."

NEW YORK -- ******.com caught up to junior featherweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux on Sunday afternoon in the lobby of the Affinia Hotel, the day after Rigondeaux's HBO-televised unanimous decision over Nonito Donaire at Radio City Music Hall.

In victory over Donaire (32-1, 20 knockouts), Rigondeaux (12-0, 8 KOs) earned the RING, WBA and WBO championships.

A southpaw, two-time Cuban Olympic gold medalist, Rigondeaux won, 114-113, 115-112, 116-111 on the judges' cards of John Stewart, Tom Schreck and Julie Lederman, respectively. ******.com had it for Rigondeaux, 117-110.

Following an unimpressive and dull decison over Panama's Ricardo Cordoba in November of 2010, Rigondeaux came back with consecutive stoppages over Willie Casey, Rico Ramos and Teon Kennedy before securing September's unanimous-decision victory over Robert Marroquin.

Although there are many critics of Rigondeaux's style, his effort has been applauded by others such as trainer Kevin Cunningham, WBA welterweight titleholder Paulie Malignaggi, RING super middleweight champion Andre Ward and WBO welterweight beltholder Tim Bradley, the last two after having watched the fight from ringside.

Rigondeaux defected from Cuba in 2009, leaving behind his wife and two children. In the Q&A below, he shared his thoughts on his performance, which was inspired, in part, by a call from his son, Guillermo Rigondeaux Jr.

Osvaldo Nordelo acted as translator.

******.com: Can you tell me the story about your son, Gullermo Jr., calling you before the fight?

Guillermo Rigondeaux: Yes, my son is 11 years old. I always have my son in my heart. Even with him being in Cuba, he is still in my heart everywhere that I go. To receive that call before the fight, it meant everything.

******.com: Your thoughts on your performance?

GR: I am very satisfied with all that happened, but you remember what I told you the last time we talked before the fight? The first time that I spoke to you, you were thinking that Nonito was going to win. I did my job, just like I told you I would.

******.com: Do you wonder, like Bradley and Ward did, whether or not last night's crowd appreciated what it saw?

GR: I have to make a living, you know, for my family. There are going to be days when I go after it, and then there are going to be days where you box.

I had everything under control throughout the fight. The fans' boos, that's not because of what I did wrong. I believe that the boos were for Nonito.

******.com: Given that you felt you were in complete control, was there ever a point in the fight where you considered going toe-to-toe and attempting to go for the knockout?

GR: I tried to do my job. You don't look for the knockout. The knockout has to come to you. If it is there, then you take it.

In the 12th round, for example, I tried for it, but I couldn't get it. Nonito was able to block some of the shots and avoid getting knocked out.

******.com: Can you describe what happened with the knockdown in the 10th round?

GR: We were coming out of a clinch and he caught me with a good left hand. That happens. That was a good shot. I recovered fast, and at the end of the round and in the next round, I was much better off.

******.com: Was it the left cross that caused the damage to Donaire's right eye in the last round?

GR: Yes, it was in round 12 where I threw that punch right to his eye, and that was the shot. I thought that I was close. I thought that I could get the knockout in the 12th round.

But Nonito came up with some good defense at that point, and I could not finish him. As far as my next fight, I will fight anyone. No matter who they put in front of me, it will be no problem.

http://ri ngtv.craveonline.com/blog/178331-qaa-rigondeaux-the-boos-were-for-donaire

I don't know why Rigo is catching the heat for this fight being slower paced. Donaire threw less punches when he knew coming in he had to be aggressive and bring the fight to Rigo.

Comment

People were booing Rigo because they payed to see a fight not a nascar race

Comment

Wouldnt be the first time he was booed

Comment

i'm one of those that get frustrated sometimes with fighters who fight like rigo but i actually loved his performance. i was very impressed. he was brilliant.

Comment

The only people boo'ing were casual fans that don't understand the intricacies of boxing. Like Rigo said in the post fight interview, boxers and real boxing fans know what he did. If they want brawls, they can watch RiosAlvarado3.

Comment

Originally posted by El Angel View Post
              I don't know why Rigo is catching the heat for this fight being slower paced. Donaire threw less punches when he knew coming in he had to be aggressive and bring the fight to Rigo.
              He only threw more jabs. You know, the thing used by outside boxers to control distance/keep a guy from pouncing on you etc?

Guillermo boxed while Donaire looked to brawl, Rigondeaux has no obligations to brawl with anyone, and he did the smart thing by moving and avoiding unnecessary exchanges to lower the risks. He was the smarter fighter on the night and it paid off.

Comment

Originally posted by blak81 View Post
                The only people boo'ing were casual fans that don't understand the intricacies of boxing. Like Rigo said in the post fight interview, boxers and real boxing fans know what he did. If they want brawls, they can watch RiosAlvarado3.
                And I'm all for Rios-Alvarado...but we all knew what would happen between them two..A WAR...

Rigo-Donaire had me standing up almost the entire fight..that masterpiece only comes by every so often for Boxing fans..

Rigo was a surgeon that night and opened Donaire up!

Comment

Not a big fan of Rigo. I personally think if there's a rematch, Donaire will take it easy.

He's a terribly slow-paced fighter, and is very uninteresting to watch. His defense at times, is running away. And he won't ever push action, so it will always be a slow fight with Rigo. If Donaire didn't do as little as he did, that fight would've been unbearable to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by TriGaFinGa View Post
                    He only threw more jabs. You know, the thing used by outside boxers to control distance/keep a guy from pouncing on you etc?

Guillermo boxed while Donaire looked to brawl, Rigondeaux has no obligations to brawl with anyone, and he did the smart thing by moving and avoiding unnecessary exchanges to lower the risks. He was the smarter fighter on the night and it paid off.
                    I don't think you understood my post. Like at all. If he was looking to brawl, cutting off the ring and higher volume would have helped. He did neither. He couldn't cope with what was in front of him.

Comment

Working...
                    X