No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Arum Erupts: Rips De La Hoya, SHO, Haymon in Vegas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hitman932 View Post
    Golden Boy has the larger stable of fighters at the moment but I wonder why nobody has stopped to ask how that came to be so.

A large part of that, and the way GBP marketed themselves to young fighters and future stars, was the HBO output deal and the ability to guarantee these guys the big fights on the biggest network.

Top Rank not only has HBO now, but they are also much more adept at running their own shows and getting their fighters TV exposure when there are no major network slots available.

How many of these guys in the huge GBO stable is there room for on Showtime? There are only so many dates to go around.

Over the next 2-3 years I expect you will see a lot of GBP fighters growing impatient with their lack of Showtime dates and the long waits in between fights as they wait in line for a date.

Top Rank meanwhile will be able to keep all their top fighters as active as they want to be and in competitive fights that HBO and the fans will eat up.

I expect we will start seeing defections from GBP to TR and other promoters who are not boxed in with a network. The fallout from this change in business philosophy won't be fully felt for a couple years so you can't really start jumping to conclusions now but I just don't see how this works out better for GBP than it does for TR.
    Well said.

Comment

• Originally posted by flint View Post
      screw arum. every fighters at 140 and 147 with goldenboy will whoop this living air out of any fighter at top rank. goldenboy can present mayweather,mathysse,khan,maidana,garcia,peterson,g uerreo,thurman,and broner.thats a hell of a line up. toprank can bring it on and get flattened.
      No no dumbardsa$$. Haymon has been raping us all ! Hooking Jr the sissy up with so many fighters but NEVER the THREAT

What real fans want are REAL fights. You probably weren't born when Leonard fought Duran , Benitez , Hearns , those were real fights. You should just go to Showtimescene

Comment

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
        It's much lower expectations. The show was dirt cheap, early afternoon. Are they willing to give up 2 hours of prime time CBS TV for boxing, at 2m+ a pop?
        The Santa Cruz fight kept 90% of the audience that had been watching college basketball. CBS will be all over that if GBP can repeat those numbers for a reasonable price.

Early afternoon shows should be fine, I don't see why it has to be a prime time slot. But just in case it does....Saturday nights on CBS are pretty dead if I'm not mistaken.

So bringing an HBO/Showtime style boxing atmosphere would liven things up.

Comment

Working...
        X