No announcement yet.

Rank these welterweights in order 1990s-2010s

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
    I literally LoL'd Cheato Wrapidad at the top? and Forrest above Pacquiao?

oh and Cotto
    You bring up hand wraps but the poster boy for wraps is your number 2....? Too funny

Comment

Originally posted by RichCCFC View Post
      Oscar De La Hoya
      Shane Mosley
      Vernon Forrest
      Ricardo Mayorga
      Ike Quartey
      Felix Trinidad
      Floyd Mayweather
      Miguel Cotto
      Paul Williams
      Antonio Margarito
      Manny Pacquiao
      Timothy Bradley
      Juan Manuel Marquez (147 version)
      1. Floyd Mayweather
      2. Manny Pacquiao
      3. Vernon Forrest
      4. Oscar De La Hoya
      5. Sugar Shane Mosley
      6. Richardo Mayorga
      7. Miguel Cotto
      8.Timothy Bradley
      9. Juan Manuel Marquez (has yet to win welterweight title)
      10. Ike Quartey

People who wear wraps don't get any respect what so ever!

Comment

interesting

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
          Based on skill, resume, fantasy fighting, etc?
          whatever criteria you wish, I guess H2h is the best though considering some have done way more at 147 than others

My list...

Oscar De La Hoya
          Felix Trinidad
          Vernon Forrest
          Floyd Mayweather
          Ike Quartey
          Shane Mosley
          Manny Pacquiao
          Paul Williams
          Miguel Cotto
          Antonio Margarito
          Ricardo Mayorga
          Juan Manuel Marquez
          Timothy Bradley

Oscar had the style and size to be competitive in every single match up here with the chance of winning, even against the big guys like Forrest, Trinidad, Margarito and Williams.

Trinidad would blow a lot of the straight forward fighters away who would give others trouble (Williams, Margarito, Mayorga)

Forrest had the skills and length to out box the master boxer in Floyd from range and the likes of Cotto and Mosley, might lose to the likes of Margarito.

Mayweather is the best pure boxer but would have trouble with the big guys and someone like Quartey and his piston jab.

Comment

My list...

1. & 2. Felix Trinidad/Oscar De La Hoya
            3. Floyd Mayweather
            4. Vernon Forrest
            5. Shane Mosley
            6. Manny Pacquiao
            7. Paul Williams
            8. Miguel Cotto
            9. Antonio Margarito
            10. Ricardo Mayorga
            11. Ike Quartey
            12. Juan Manuel Marquez
            13. Timothy Bradley

Comment

How can you rank Margarito, who's best wins are Clottey and Cotto (plaster anyone???) ahead of Mayweather at 147.

Floyd has Judah, Baldomir, Hatton, Marquez, Mosley, and Ortiz at 147.

Comment

Originally posted by RichCCFC View Post
                Oscar De La Hoya
                Shane Mosley
                Vernon Forrest
                Ricardo Mayorga
                Ike Quartey
                Felix Trinidad
                Floyd Mayweather
                Miguel Cotto
                Paul Williams
                Antonio Margarito
                Manny Pacquiao
                Timothy Bradley
                Juan Manuel Marquez (147 version)
                Floyd Mayweather
                Felix Trinidad
                Oscar De La Hoya
                Manny Pacquiao
                Miguel Cotto
                Shane Mosley
                Antonio Margarito
                Timothy Bradley
                Paul Williams (He's good but too wreckless and I don't like his style)
                Ricardo Mayorga is at the bottom but a good entertainer

I Can't comment on Vernon Forest and Quartey since I've only seen 2 or so of there fights. JMM I need to see him fight more at 147 for me to come to a conclusion.
                Last edited by DosRounds; 03-19-2013, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
                  How can you rank Margarito, who's best wins are Clottey and Cotto (plaster anyone???) ahead of Mayweather at 147.

Floyd has Judah, Baldomir, Hatton, Marquez, Mosley, and Ortiz at 147.
                  Because the Cotto win is better than all of those combined? The Clottey win was just icing

So if someone did that, I would object. Personally, as I posted, I have Mayweather over Margarito, but on strength of resume, I respect that. Plus the beatdown of prime Cintron who at the time was a somebody is better than Baldomir, Marquez and Mosley and about on par with Ortiz.

And I'm a huge Cotto fan and suspect foul play in the first one, especially seeing how little impact the punches were in the rematch, but nothing is confirmed and I've move past that.
                  Last edited by JmH Reborn; 03-19-2013, 11:39 AM. Reason: address the plaster remark

Comment

Originally posted by JmH Reborn View Post
                    Because the Cotto win is better than all of those combined? The Clottey win was just icing

So if someone did that, I would object. Personally, as I posted, I have Mayweather over Margarito, but on strength of resume, I respect that. Plus the beatdown of prime Cintron who at the time was a somebody is better than Baldomir, Marquez and Mosley and about on par with Ortiz.
                    Cintron was unranked and had never fought anyone when Margarito beat him in 05'.

Mosley was #3 P4P and coming off stopping Margairto himself when Floyd fought him. Marquez has since stopped Pacquiao at 147, so that win also looks a lot better now. Judah, Baldomir, and Ortiz all were high ranked Welterweight contenders or champs at the time. And Hatton was the man at 140, unbeaten, and #8 P4P.

Looking back Margarito is the biggest myth in recent Welterweight history in my opinion. He got highly highly overrated in the Mid-late 00's.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
                      Cintron was unranked and had never fought anyone when Margarito beat him in 05'.

Mosley was #3 P4P and coming off stopping Margairto himself when Floyd fought him. Marquez has since stopped Pacquiao at 147, so that win also looks a lot better now. Judah, Baldomir, and Ortiz all were high ranked Welterweight contenders or champs at the time. And Hatton was the man at 140, unbeaten, and #8 P4P.

Looking back Margarito is the biggest myth in recent Welterweight history in my opinion. He got highly highly overrated in the Mid-late 00's.
                      He was a top contender with a nasty right and became Champion. In the rematch, he folded him like a chair.

Mosley was a terrible fight (my post history from before that fight, shows that I had this same position). Mosley was coming off of two training camps due to a failed fight with Berto and a 14 month layoff. Especially bad considering that he never had that. It was merely a showcase fight, and Mosley's subsequent performances prove that the Mayweather non-performance was no fluke.

The JMM is a bad win. He came up from 135 to challenge him and looked flabby and out of shape. JMM of 2012-2013 is in a different place than in that fight. That is not a WW win. It was another showcase fight. I have no problem him fighting Judah, Judah was still relevant and dangerous. The Baldomir fight was an easy pick me up title, like Broner and Malignaggi. So to me that has real low value. Ortiz was a good win, or should I say, could have been a better win if it ended better than it did. I respect Floyd for taking that fight. I would place it though =/= with Cintron.

I personally like Margarito and rate him high. I felt sad and disgusted he tried to cheat and think he did, but it was never proven, so I think its fair that he's given the benefit of the doubt. He fought all he could and for the most part came out on top.

I think ultimately Prime Margarito gives everyone on that list a problem. He may not win them all, but they'll all know they were in a fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X