Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: HBO Ends Golden Boy Relationship, Passes on Broner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the long run HBO might be the one to come up on top AGAIN. What will happen to Showtime when their guys start getting more popular and they can't pay them enough cause of their budget?

Comment

• HBO still has nochin pacquiao,bradley, high-lio chavez jr.donaire. but they will lose maravilla soon. maravilla wants to fight mayweather and canelo.

Comment

• this is the way it was heading anyway. broner was the only gb fighter fighting on hbo that really mattered. it's like finding out you're getting fired so you decide to quit instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by newyorican_papi View Post
          This is the first time I have felt in a long time that boxing is on a down slope. All these years people always talking about "this is hurting boxing" and "that is hurting boxing". I've always laughed to myself because of the fact that I know it is a very popular sport as long as you give people the right fights that they want to see.

The fact that HBO just shunned a powerhouse promoter like GBP changes the landscape in many, many ways and I'm wondering what the hell happens now.

Showtime is starting to inch its way in to 1st place now...but why is it that I still feel like Showtime is still in 2nd place no matter what is happening?

Only time will tell if GBP can survive this HBO boycott.

You're right more people just have hbp in general. It's an all around better channel so more people are likely to see the fights. Boxing will lose fans hiding on showtime because a lot of people just don't want the channel over HBO.

Comment

• I might cancel my HBO subscription after Donaire-Rigondeaux.

Comment

• This is actually very bad news. It is fine that network would sign marquee fighters but a whole promotional company is only going to limit fight options. Now the networks are going to tie up a lot of fights along with the promoters

Comment

• HBO should just get out of boxing altogether.

Comment

• Anyone thinking Bradley-Provodnikov II is going to get pushed after this?

Comment

• Originally posted by ManOnTheMoon View Post
                    Showtime will always be a second rate network for boxing, nobody has ever built their entire career and become a star or a household name fighting solely on Showtime.
                    Perhaps times are changing...

Comment

• Originally posted by mconstantine View Post
                      HBO is killing their brand from a boxing standpoint.

The ONLY thing HBO really has going for them at this point is Lampley/Kellerman/Jones Jr/Merchant/Lederman. Those guys are what REALLY makes the HBO brand. Nothing else.

The Showtime commentators are perfectly capable of calling fights, but they always come off as 2nd tier to the HBO guys.

You can't replicate Lederman's "OK Jim..."

or Roy Jones subtle one ups on the other guys opinions because he's boxed and they haven't.

Lampley's random comments and antics

Kellerman's EXTREMELY insightful comments and analysis.

The HBO guys and their chemistry is special and endearing. No matter how good the action is in the ring or who is in the ring, Showtime fights never feel quite as major to me for these reasons.

Boxing needs a dictatorship...I hate this ish.
                      Good Post. I agree. Even when Merchant would say something offbeat, or nonsensical, it didn't matter. The HBO folks, for better or worse just have that chemistry that makes it feel like big time boxing. Showtime, as much as I like a lot of their people, just never had that.

Comment

Working...
                      X