Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Happened To The Puerto Rican Champs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our strength and conditioning coach is from PR and he told me the main reason that boxing has gone down in PR is because of the serious drug problems and crime.

I don't know if that's the case but he also told me they lack really good coaches in PR.

I expect them to come back, there's too much history there not to.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
      He's as much Puerto Rican as Brandon Rios is Mexican.

rios is usually embraced by los cabrones.

Comment

A few of the Mexican fight fans have the Hasim Rahman Syndrome. They are actually starting to believe that their **** doesn't stink. We need more Broners, more Shanes, more Whitakers, Kirklands, Mayweathers, Vitali's, Abril's, to shut a few of these clowns up.

Comment

Do the Puerto Ricans still have the most world champions per capita in the history of the sport?

Comment

Danny Garcia in the house!
            he will lose too after his dad gets beat down first

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Ducketts View Post
              A few of the Mexican fight fans have the Hasim Rahman Syndrome. They are actually starting to believe that their **** doesn't stink. We need more Broners, more Shanes, more Whitakers, Kirklands, Mayweathers, Vitali's, Abril's, to shut a few of these clowns up.
              More cheaters?? You're an anti cheater crusader. Hypocrite.

Comment

No excuses here. PR boxing is at an all time low. I think the prospects are so hungry to fill the void that they've tried to step up too early and get completely outclassed/dominated. (Dulorme, Del Valle)

I think they get so excited the moment they get any type of exposure they get over confident and maybe don't train as hard? Pure guess there but there's no denying there's A LOT of work to be done there in terms of rebuilding the heritage of great fighters. One major aspect is that there's really no good trainers there. I can't blame Del Valle for going to train with Nacho. I think that's great for him.

I think something else that'll help them out a lot is having more humility and dedication to the sport. Look at Jonathan Gonzalez the MW. He came in 9 lbs over the weight limit on his first televised HBO fight. There's absolutely no excuses for that.

As far as Garcia is concerned, I support him. He's not a great fighter by any stretch of the imagination but he's a jack of all trades and a master of none. He has a solid amateur background but he lacks speed and foot work. He's earned everything he's worked for I can't hate him for that, but he's definitely being protected right now because I think GBP knows PR fans in the US are hungry for another superstar now that Cotto has one foot out the door. He's definitely marketable and they've see $$$ in that.
                Last edited by SnakeVen0m; 02-28-2013, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeVen0m View Post
                  One major aspect is that there's really no good trainers there. I can't blame Del Valle for going to train with Nacho. I think that's great for him.
                  Is he moving to Mexico? I would love to see footage of that, the culture difference and everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
                    Do the Puerto Ricans still have the most world champions per capita in the history of the sport?
                    No

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                    Our strength and conditioning coach is from PR and he told me the main reason that boxing has gone down in PR is because of the serious drug problems and crime.

I don't know if that's the case but he also told me they lack really good coaches in PR.

I expect them to come back, there's too much history there not to.
                    Lol we've had a bigger crime and drug problem in sinaloa and Los Mochis reeks of boxing champions. They're just on a slump they'll come back eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by -Johannes- View Post
                      Lol we've had a bigger crime and drug problem in sinaloa and Los Mochis reeks of boxing champions. They're just on a slump they'll come back eventually.
                      You have to remember, PR is a small Island not a big country like Mexico. Sometimes that affects the population much more.

I'm just repeating what my S&C coach told me and he's lived there.

Comment

Working...
                      X